Bettercream Icing

Decorating By cakemanpaul Updated 1 May 2009 , 9:39pm by cakemanpaul

cakemanpaul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemanpaul Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone used bettercreeam icing made by Rich's? Does it have to be refrigerated? It claims to be better than buttercream but I would like someones input before trying it myself.

5 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 6

It's stable at room temp for up to 5 days. I find it a bit too sweet so I add a little milk.
Other people on here add all sorts of syrups, pudding, and flavoring agents to it. The possibilities are endless.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 6

If you do a search for bettercreme, you'll find a dumpload of topics ranging from preference to recipes and more. after decorating, it can remain at a comfortable room temperature for several days...all the specifics are listed on product info on their website.

HTH

edited to say: I wouldn't say it was better than buttercream....bad results have been had when trying to cover it with fondant...when allowed to come to room temperature, it turns into a floam like substance....if it loses its' chill while working with it, you're SOL trying to get the mass to smooth....I prefer to use it as an ingredient in fillings rather than an icing...

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 6

I have used it and I think it's delicious! It tastes like "whipped cream" frosting. You should refrigerate or freeze the cartons, but once it's whipped it's supposed to be fine on a cake without refrigeration for up to 5 days (according to what I have read on the cartons I have gotten). I have left it out on cakes with great results. It's not as easy to smooth as buttercream. Don't whip it too long or it will get clumpy. I have a lot of troube adding color because it gets clumpy- it's best to leave it white or maybe add a tiny hint of color.

checkoutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
checkoutthecake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6

I use it for all of my cakes, I buy it at Sam's Club from the bakery it comes in a 15pound bucket $19.00 all prewhipped just add your color. It can be thawed and refrozen. When it sits out for a while it does get a little soft I just put it back in the fridge for a while and its fine.

cakemanpaul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemanpaul Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your inut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%