Best Rolling Pin For Fondant

Decorating By stephbakes Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 2:18am by stephggnoco

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #31 of 40

Ok just got back from our sam's club and they do not carry any rolling pins so its back on line for me. Thanks for the tip anyway.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #32 of 40

I have an aluminum one that was passed down to me from my mom many, many years ago. I also use 2 vinyl sheets to roll the fondant between. I love that.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMeister

I would not recommend using PVC piping. The type of plastic used for PVC leeches chemicals.

Quote:
Quote:

#3: Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) production requires highly polluting and carcinogenic chemicals that can contaminate the surrounding environment. PVC is often made with softeners such as phthalates, which can leach out of or evaporate from the finished products and have been shown to cause developmental and reproductive damage. And PVC incineration leads to the emission of dioxins, which are known to cause cancer, as well as reproductive, developmental, and immune problems. Landfilling PVC can cause the plastics toxic additives to leach into groundwater.

I use an aluminum rolling pin, which I got at Sam's, I think. It was a while back so I'm not sure now. It was relatively inexpensive.

I think CPVC is normally used for water pipes & other household applications. The OSHA Material Safety Data Sheet indicates CPVC is not considered hazardous, but I think I would like to do more research before using it as support. Do you recall who published the information you quoted?
LL

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #34 of 40

I ordered the aluminum pin from Sams & got it last Friday. I used it over the weekend & it was GREAT! Truly put that plastic Wilton fondant roller to shame! I rolled out fondant as fast as lightening & didn't have sore palms afterwards! Thanks Sharon, you truly are a cake goddess!! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #35 of 40

I like the marble rolling pin for large fondant work (covering a cake) and the smaller 6 inch rolling pins for detail work.

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #36 of 40

I just found this post. I've tried the pvc--too light, the aluminum--better but still too light and leaves tracks--the marble--still a little light for big pieces of fondant and leaves BIG tracks. I use this one. It's heavy, stick resistant, and doesn't leave tracks. It also has ball bearing handles and won't warp. It's expensive but it will probably last me the rest of my life and I think it pays to buy good equipment. My Agbay was a lot more expensive. www.caketrick.com

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:49pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish74 

I just found this post. I've tried the pvc--too light, the aluminum--better but still too light and leaves tracks--the marble--still a little light for big pieces of fondant and leaves BIG tracks. I use this one. It's heavy, stick resistant, and doesn't leave tracks. It also has ball bearing handles and won't warp. It's expensive but it will probably last me the rest of my life and I think it pays to buy good equipment. My Agbay was a lot more expensive. www.caketrick.com

I know it's been a while since you've posted this info. But after buying The Mat (which I love btw) my 18in aluminum rolling pin seems to be causing more work than necessary when rolling out fondant. What size do you use the 18in or the 15in? Would you still recommend that pin? Lemme know :) 

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 1:50am
post #38 of 40

I bought a long wooden pin with handles from Amazon last year and I love it. I don't use the wilton one any more. I'm a hobby baker and don't make cakes weekly so I don't use it that often but when I do it's great. t cost about $25. HTH

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:52am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64 

I think CPVC is normally used for water pipes & other household applications. The OSHA Material Safety Data Sheet indicates CPVC is not considered hazardous, but I think I would like to do more research before using it as support. Do you recall who published the information you quoted?
LL

There are two kinds of PVC.

The kind for "water service" or "water supply" which is printed along the full length of each piece is SAFE.  This stuff is white in the US and Canada. It's the most expensive kind in the store.  ASK the supplier if you are not sure.

STAY AWAY from any other kind of PVC which releases the toxins.

stephggnoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephggnoco Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 2:18am
post #40 of 40

I found a 24" fondant rolling pin that works great...so far...LOL! Its very heavy and I use it for rolling out large pieces. It's called the King roller or something. You can see it at work here....

http://www.frenchrollingpin.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%