Topsy Turvy With Styrofoam Wedges?

Decorating By biancas_mommy Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm by brincess_b

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 3

OK this might be a dumb question...I'm doing a cake for a friend, and it's one of those topsy-turvy cakes that seems to have styrofoam wedges in between the tiers (as opposed to being carved crooked).

Does anybody know how you get those styrofoam tiers? LOL. I mean, can you buy them like that, or do I have to get a styrofoam block and cut it into the wedge shape I need?

I just hate cutting styrofoam because I always seem to end up with jagged, or crooked, or pitted edges, and little styrofoam crumbles all over the place...any tips??


2 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

I did a cake using the styrofoam wedges (neon colored cake in my pix) and I had hubby cut them. I did some research and they do make a device to cut styrofoam but I couldn't find one that would fit a 10" disc. It's a tool with a wire that heats up via electricity (battery operated) and it just melts it's way through the styrofoam like a hot knife through butter icon_razz.gif . Since I was only doing it for my neices cake - I didn't bother looking any further and just brushed off the crumbs. I used curly ribbons to cover the styrofoam so you couldn't see it either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck and let me know if you find something.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 3

i have seen them somewhere.... unfortunatly i cant remember where, not all cake foam sites have had them.
but if you have a local foam store, they might give you some off cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%