Can Cream Cheese Frosting And Lemon Curd Sit Out?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm by CookiezNCupcakez

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:48am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiezNCupcakez

Just add cream cheese to buttercream it will be fine thumbs_up.gif

Why is that the case?

It's not...

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:44pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiezNCupcakez

Just add cream cheese to buttercream it will be fine thumbs_up.gif

Why is that the case?

It's not...

I guess it depends on how you make your buttercream.... My buttercream is similar to Earlenes cream cheese frosting.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #33 of 38

This is really confusing. Some people are are way against leaving it out and some people are saying its just fine for several days.

The recipe for buttercream and cream cheese icings are nearly identical in ingrediants except for some say to use all butter or to use all shortening, but I cant imagine that by using one over the other will cause the icing to spoil if cream cheese is added.

This is starting to make no sense and everyone is contradicting each other. I think I will do my own searching on the internet and see if I can find any hard facts and then post it here for you guys to ponder on.

I am going to rest for a bit, Ive got a wicked migraine. Then after the little one is asleep I will see what I can find. icon_sad.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #34 of 38

It's always better to be safe than sorry.

You can always mix your buttercream with a sleeved cream cheese filling that is shelf-stable or use Lorann oils for the flavoring.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

This is really confusing. Some people are are way against leaving it out and some people are saying its just fine for several days.

The recipe for buttercream and cream cheese icings are nearly identical in ingrediants except for some say to use all butter or to use all shortening, but I cant imagine that by using one over the other will cause the icing to spoil if cream cheese is added.

This is starting to make no sense and everyone is contradicting each other. I think I will do my own searching on the internet and see if I can find any hard facts and then post it here for you guys to ponder on.

I am going to rest for a bit, Ive got a wicked migraine. Then after the little one is asleep I will see what I can find. icon_sad.gif

Well this is what happens when you go on a forum that has both *hobbyist* and *professionals*.

You need to remember that not every person here has been food safe certified, and therefore they don't even realize that they're not following the basic food safe rules.

People who have not taken the course and only bake occasionally really should not give out advice on this matter.

I live in MA and have a licensed kitchen. I'm not allowed to sell anything that is considered perishable. I had to submit ALL of my recipes for approval and every cream cheese icing that I submitted was deemed to be perishable, therefore I cannot use or sell it.

That should answer your question.

Just because someone used it on a cake for a family member and left it out of the fridge and nobody died or got sick doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:16am
post #37 of 38

Wow thanks for that link. That actually explains things quite a bit. icon_smile.gif

So that recipe in that link that was posted ealier that was supposedly a non-refridgerated cream cheese recipe...it kind of makes sense now that it used shortening instead of butter. According to the explaination on the link you just provided, the shelf stability varies depending on the fat content and sugar in the recipe.

EDIT:

This is the recipe I was referring to just in case anyone was curious. I had to go back and look it up. lol
http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #38 of 38

Happy to help point you in the right direction for some info.

It's good to know the FACTS first icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%