Helmet Cake Tips

Decorating By jjandascog Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm by FlourPots

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 3

So I've never done a helmet before. It's a couple of months away so before I get started, I was wondering if any of you have any tips, things that you've figured out as you've made yours. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashley

2 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 3

I have done 2 helmet cakes and the sculpting of the helmet is really not that hard but I suggest that when you make the grill for the front of the cake that you let your fondant dry at least an entire day possibly 2 days but also make the pieces kind of thick so they hold up and don't fall over. I have found that the grill believe it or not is the hardest part of the whole thing. Hope this helps you.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 3

I wrote instructions for the one in my avatar...you cand find those here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613242-foofball.html

I would suggest either of the Wilton ball pans...the sports ball for a smaller helmet (my avatar), or the soccer ball for a larger sized one (photo below). These give you the perfect dome shape on top...I would never consider carving that from a tower of cakes.

(The soccer ball pan is tricky as far as baking...I had to experiment after getting help here at CC. If you think you'll need to know about that...just say the word)

I agree, the face mask can be the toughest part...the second, larger helmet I made ended up having no mask....the black one I made basically came apart at the last minute. I made it about a week before, so all the individual pieces were rock hard, but they wouldn't stay together...the were too heavy to support each other. I tried every type of glue I had, toothpicks, straight pins...I could not repair it.
I'm now experimenting with plastic tubing, so if I ever do a large sized again, I'll have a reliable mask.

Even though it was for my nephew, and he didn't mind at all, I still felt terrible....it looked more like a space helmet to me (and really flat in the photos...in person it didn't at all). I liked the Chargers jersey cakeboard that I made, that came out ok.

The round masonite board underneath was just for transporting...that was removed and the jersey was put on a green field tablecloth purchased here: http://www.profootballparties.com/Store_ViewProdDetail.asp?ProdID=11498&Cat=328
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%