Centre Dowel In A Fondant Covered Stacked Cake

Decorating By finnsimm Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm by Suebee

finnsimm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnsimm Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #1 of 10

So I'm about to build a 8" and 6" stacked cake. I have put 4 dowels in the bottom layer, but would like to put a centre dowel all the way through both layers.

Here's the catch: I want to cover both layers in fondant.

I'm assuming that I cover the individual layers in fondant first, then stack them.

How do I cover the hole on the top of the cake after I put the centre dowel in?

9 replies
ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

I'm pretty sure youdo the fondant on the8 inch first, stack the 6 inch on top, put the dowl thourgh both, then cover the 6 in fondant....

I could be wrong but I think i remember watching a youtube on this

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #3 of 10

I would put the fondant on the bottom layer, add the second tier, add the center dowel, cut so its a tad below the cakeline, then add you fondant over this. If there is a topper you dont have to worry about covering the hole because the topper covers it.

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 10

Since you only have 2 tiers you don't really need to put a dowel through the entire cake. Only put dowels in the bottom tier to support the top tier. If you still want to do a dowel thru both tiers then fondant and stack both tiers first then after you have the dowel thru both cakes then put either a topper on the cake to cover the dowel or take a little piece of fondant and cover the dowel and blend in with the rest of the fondant with your finger. Smooth it out as best you can. Trust me I do this alot.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:10am
post #5 of 10

I always had something on the top of the cake, but you could try this.
Bfore you cover the top cake run the dowel through it and the board. Pull dowel out, cover in fondant. Make the dowel about 3" shorter than both cakes stacked. Run the dowel through the bottom fondant covered cake and then put icing in the middle and slide the top cake ontop of the dowel. I think that would work fine.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #6 of 10

geraldine randlesome... i sit in her demos at ices convention.. all , she does is fondant cakes... she says , she never center dowels her cakes.. you cover both cakes in fondant.. put your dowels in bottom tier, according for the top tier.. she uses r/i on that tier... and sats her top tier on that.. no center doweling.. she laughs when we talk about that in her demos.. i like her..

finnsimm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnsimm Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 10

Thank you very much! I can't believe how quick I got the answer I was looking for! I forgot all about the royal icing trick! So Smart!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 10

Measure your center dowel so it's the height of the lower tier + 1/2 to 1/3 of the upper tier. Drive it in to the lower tier and then lower the top tier down OVER the dowel (you obviously need to have a hole in the cake board already). I stack ALL of my cakes this way, by mounting the center dowel and lowering all the tiers over it.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 10

All of these options are great.

1) Don't use the center dowel (the dowels in the bottom tier will support the top tier - center dowel helps to stabilize but does nothing to support - if your not transporting the cake then it is definitely not needed)

2) Do as Suebee and PinkZiab said and put the 2nd tier on after you have the center dowel in place.

3) Either use a topper to cover the whole or use icing (coloured to match fondant) and cover the hole (I would just use b/c).

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 10

Yes your right xstitcher, if your not traveling don't dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%