Wilton Fondant & Gum Paste Tool Set

Decorating By kim_catt Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm by Grinolly

kim_catt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim_catt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 30

I just purchased a Wilton Fondant & Gum Paste Tool Set. Does anyone know where i can find a tutorial or something else showing me how to use the tools.

thank you and hope you can help.

Kimberley

29 replies
ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 30

again... saving to see the responses as well icon_smile.gif

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 30

I don't know about an online tutorial to specificaly use those tools... but it does come with a little booklet that tells you how each tool is used.

I've had the kit for a couple months now and still have only used about half of the tools, however I have not gotten into gumpaste flowers, which I think you use most of the tools for.

Search on youtube for something you would like to create, and you will be sure to see that they use tools that you now have.

toedna, aine32, donnalee, and Mayen have great fondant/gumpaste youtube tutorials!

Happy CAking!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 30

i have the 5 piece and sponge to make pedals, that cCndy from wilton forum sent to me. how great was that!. i've searched for other uses but can't fine anything, i know the veining tool, the ball tool, have made tons of roses. some one posted a cake where they used the shell on the bottom border of their cake looked nice. and the pointed one with the funny looking sides i have no clue, i'm also looking for more things i can do with my tips, but can't find that either, hope someone can help Diane

LuckLovesMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuckLovesMe Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 30

If you go on YouTube there are several videos that show how to use the tools for making fondant/gumpaste flowers, and other decorations, but not specifically how to use each tool unfortunately.

ninatat Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 30

ok i'm alway's on u-tube for cake decorating hoping it will help me. thank you

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 30

I have this tool kit as well and have used a few for making flowers and fondant figures. Some of them I just have no idea what to do with though, like the big pointy jagged one!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 30

I have this tool set as well, and also have only used a few, like Calivettie said the little booklet is very helpful on showing you what the tools are used for, and if you play around with them you will be surprised what you can do with them. Go the the Wilton site they also have a forum and the people is just as helpful as on here.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 30

I have this kit too - but it didn't come with a booklet for some reason. I've had it a while - do you think I could buy a booklet if I contact Wilton?

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

I have this kit too - but it didn't come with a booklet for some reason. I've had it a while - do you think I could buy a booklet if I contact Wilton?

You know I thought I was crazy...cause mine didn't either. My MIL bought one shortly after me and she had a booklet. I didn't even know mine was supposed to either until I saw hers.. icon_confused.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer702

Quote:

You know I thought I was crazy...cause mine didn't either. My MIL bought one shortly after me and she had a booklet. I didn't even know mine was supposed to either until I saw hers.. icon_confused.gif

I was just thinking ... mine didn't come with a booklet. I wonder if that is something they had added recently. Maybe we should all contact Wilton and see if they will send us one. icon_smile.gif

favrtdtr Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 30

that sounds like a plan - i'm glad i'm not the only one. I'm going to their site now - i'll let you know what happens

favrtdtr Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 30

Ok, I just talked to Wilton and they said the tool kit has no booklet - doesn't come with one and was never produced - I suggested they make one, LOL. The flower kit is the one that has a booklet and can be purchased separately...HTH

ninatat Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 30

i didn't get one either. sure seem's like you would get something for the price, ok so we can just get the book, where can we get in on here at wilton
Thanks

jer702 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 30

What I was talking about..is the pamplet that shows each tool and what its for. Maybe I need more coffee icon_confused.gif

favrtdtr Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:

What I was talking about..is the pamplet that shows each tool and what its for. Maybe I need more coffee icon_confused.gif

ok - i'll call her again cuz she said it never had anything like that - but if your MIL's did then maybe she just didn't know what she was talking about. I'll have to call tomorrow though cuz they're closed now. Thanks for telling me what to ask for icon_biggrin.gif

jer702 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

ok - i'll call her again cuz she said it never had anything like that - but if your MIL's did then maybe she just didn't know what she was talking about. I'll have to call tomorrow though cuz they're closed now. Thanks for telling me what to ask for icon_biggrin.gif

Oh no don't that, I might be completely wrong. I would hate for you to waste your time.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 30

I have this tool kit, and so far I've found that if I just mess around, and experiment with each one, I find what I can use it for. Don't get stuck thinking a tool has only one use! I've used all of them, mostly with flowers, but also with borders. It's like playdoh fun for adults!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 30

the wilton tool kit, which I bought about 2 months ago, did have an info sheet describing each tool and what it can do (it wasn't a booklet, more like a single sheet of paper)

mbt4955 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #20 of 30

Mine could have had a paper with it, but I can't imagine that I threw it away. I don't throw anything away ... just come visit me and you will see!! icon_biggrin.gif

jer702 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

the wilton tool kit, which I bought about 2 months ago, did have an info sheet describing each tool and what it can do (it wasn't a booklet, more like a single sheet of paper)

See I know I wasn't crazy ((sigh)) and I know for sure, sure, sure that I didn't throw mine away either. They didn't give me one..thats my story and i'm sticking to it. icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #22 of 30

Yes ,it is the newest, gum paste tool set ,that they just brought out a few months ago, and it does come with a little pamphlet , by the way She thought you were talking about the gumpaste flowers tools set that is totally different, that is a big book with flower cutters and instructions on how to make gumpaste flowers

favrtdtr Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

See I know I wasn't crazy ((sigh)) and I know for sure, sure, sure that I didn't throw mine away either. They didn't give me one..thats my story and i'm sticking to it. icon_lol.gif

That's my story too - I'm the world's worst pack rat and I never throw anything away - I even asked my sister if it had anything cuz she was with me when I got it and she said no and remembers thinking it should have. I'm still gonna call tomorrow - worst she can say is no, right? and it's a toll free number, so...

calivettie Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #24 of 30

Yes, Jer702 the kit comes with a pamphlet/sheet, you are not crazy! Well at least mine did. However, I agree with averagemom that its certainly fun to just experiment and find new ways (or new for me) to use them.

However, because everyone seems to want this info I took pics of min so you can see the pictures... sorry my scanner isn't working so its not the greatest quality...

[/img]http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1374259&sub=1374261&done=1[/img]

Basically the palette knife (1) is to lift petals and positions flowers in hard to reach areas.

Modeling stick (2) thick (3) thin are great for rufffling petals and leaves and adding frill detail. Also can be used as a small rolling pin.

Veining tool (4/5) marks thin or wide lines on leaves and flowers to create veins.

Shell tool and knife (6 and 7) leaves elegant impression on borders or trim. Knife trims petals and leaves.

Dogbone tool (8 and 9) cups flower centers to add depth and dimension. Also shapes and softens flowers.

Serrated quilting wheel and cutting wheel (10 and 11)
Quilting wheel imprints pattern on petals, borders etc. Cutting wheel is great for strips.

Umbrella tool and division side ( 12 and 13) add details to throats of flowers and tops of buds. Imprints vein marks for easy scoring.

Serrated(14) and cone (15) tools.
Cone edge hollows out flowers and tops of buds. After petals have been formed on flowers, spear center of flower with serrated side to create natural looking centers.

Ball tool (16 and 17) is perfect for softening and smoothing outer edges of petal without tearing. Place flower petals on thin foam to soften edges.

All wording is condensed from the Wilton 10 pc Gum paste tool set instruction sheet.

Hope this helps some!

jer702 Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #25 of 30

calivettie--did anyone tell you how awesome your are yet today? You freaking rock thumbs_up.gif

calivettie Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #26 of 30

Why thank you... here is the link in case the other didn't work... icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1374259

favrtdtr Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

calivettie--did anyone tell you how awesome your are yet today? You freaking rock thumbs_up.gif

I completely agree - thanks a bunch!!! thumbs_up.gif

mbt4955 Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

I completely agree - thanks a bunch!!! thumbs_up.gif

AMEN!!! thumbs_up.gif This definitely did not come with mine. Thanks, calivettie!!

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #29 of 30

I bought the Wilton 32 piece gum paste flower making set from Joanne's. It was 21.99 + tax but I had a 40% off coupon.

I bought it because I want to try my hand at gum paste flowers and had no tools whatsoever. It was way less expensive than buying them piecemeal.

It came with a great gum paste flowers book with designs and instructions. This was a big book, 81/2 x 11 glossy 40 pages.

The tools it came with was a rolling pin, and 2 modeling sticks, 24 flower and leaf cutters, 2 foam squares (petal pads) and a small rolling mat with protector flap.

Overall it was a great deal with my coupon. (BUT IT DID NOT HAVE THE 5 PETAL ROSE CUTTER I was hoping for, nor the BALL Tool I was hoping for either. I did go on line and order those separately)

Grinolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grinolly Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #30 of 30

I'm thinking of not getting the Wilton set. I'm looking at Ateco, PME, etc. Can someone advise which is a better set to purchase?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%