Does Anyone Add Sugar To Mixed Smbc?

Decorating By Luvsthedogs Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm by lorrieg

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 20

I'm wondering if anyone adds sugar to SMBC after adding the butter while beating. Someone mentioned to me that they do this, just don't know how much or at what point to add it.

TIA,
Cindy

19 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 20

Hi Cindy, just wondering- why would you need to add sugar at that point? Just wanting to make it sweeter? Enquiring minds need to know! icon_confused.gif

Luvsthedogs Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 20

I don't know why she does it, she just mentioned the step in the process. I've not seen a recipe that includes this, perhaps just this baker's preference?

lorrieg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 20

I've always cooked the sugar with the egg whites and never added any later. That way you get no sugar grains at all in the icing. I'd love to know the why of this.

I have added flavouring at a later date to some that I made with no extracts/liqueurs in it at all, but those are liquids.

Where did you see this?

Luvsthedogs Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 20

This was a conversation with the assistant of a local professional cake person. She said they cook the sugar/egg whites and then add more sugar when mixing with the butter.

I'd ask them myself but don't want to pry, I'm just a hobbiest and don't want it to look like I'm after their secret recipes! They're cakes are to die for!

catcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catcreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 20

okay sorry idk what the SM in SMBC means what is this. Sorry again new to this.

lorrieg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 20

SMBC is swiss meringue buttercream. It is to die for. There are recipes in the files here. I use Toba Garrett's recipe.

I don't see putting more sugar in after you cook it. They must have their reasons though. Why don't you ask? Tell them you were just wondering because none of the recipes you've seen tell you to do that. If they don't want to tell you they won't.

I just mixed mine in thirds to add the flavours. I used banana liqueur, white chocolate godiva liqueur and vanilla. Yum!

catcreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 20

It sounds awesome!

Where do I go, I will ask?

Luvsthedogs Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 20

Never mind.....I just made Whimsical Bakehouse SMBC for the first time and it's plenty sweet enough. I LOVE this recipe. It's very easy and came out sooooo good.

I may never make buttercream again.....

Cindy

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

I just mixed mine in thirds to add the flavours. I used banana liqueur, white chocolate godiva liqueur and vanilla. Yum!

God that sounds good....

As for adding sugar in...I wonder if someoneis confusing SMBC with IMBC...cuz IMBC, you add the hot sugar to the whipping egg whites. If you put in sugar after the fact with SMBC...now you have a grainy mess. I don't think the residual heat from the egg whites once it is in the bowl beng whipped would be enough to melt the granules.

lorrieg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 20

catcreations, check along the top menu bar here on CC. Click on the recipe tab and either look through the frostings or do a search for SMBC or swiss.

Cindy, I feel the same about the icing but Sharon's crusting icing makes alot of sense when you want a perfectly smooth icing that can take humidity and heat! icon_smile.gif

catcreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 20

lorrieg, thanks for the info I will continue browsing. icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 20

Jamie, that icing is to die for flavoured like that. I've made it with Lemoncello, and a pear liqueur. I couldn't find the good stuff- Pear William but this one I got is amazing. they do tint the icing though.

I think you are probably right about the IMBC. I never even tried it once I made the SMBC. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 20

Lol...me neither! I imagine it is heavenly, but I love my SMBC so much, it's like my blankie, no one is tearing me away from it!

Luvsthedogs Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 20

I tried IMBC several times with less than desireable results, won't go back there now!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #16 of 20

If you are going to put sugar in after you have put the butter in you will need to put in powder sugar as granular sugar will not dissolve.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

If you are going to put sugar in after you have put the butter in you will need to put in powder sugar as granular sugar will not dissolve.

I have added sugar after the butter, but it was an ultrafine grain sugar, the icing wasn't grainy. I agree though, regular granulated sugar won't work.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #18 of 20

PS? Seriously? With the cornstarch that comes with it? I would thin that would change the structure of the meringue icing with quickness...and not for the better...if I am wrong, please enlighten me, cause sometimes I'd like to have a firmer SMBC (at times)

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #19 of 20

I have only done ps a few times. I really can't remember the consistency. I am sure it got a little thicker. I have done it for kids cakes. I think I only added about a cup of powder sugar.
Sorry I can't give you all the details. I seriously do have memory loss and some stuff doesn't stick in there.

lorrieg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #20 of 20

Ultrafine sugar is different than PS. It's really, really tiny grained regular sugar. It just dissolves faster. that is what cupcakesnbuttercream said she used.

I still have the question- Why would you need to add sugar after? Sweetness? The hope of thickening it? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%