How Come Men Don't Get It?

Decorating By jensenscakes Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 6:33am by margaretb

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 33

I had a cake due on Friday and had baked the cake Thurs. night and wrapped it up and left it on the counter because there was no room in the fridge. I was planning on icing and decorating it after I got off of work on Friday at 3:00. Well my husband was babysitting while I was at work and let the kids get in to and eat half the cake! So I had to come home rebake and decorate the cake that was due at 6:30 that evening! Why don't men understand how much time and energy are spent on cakes and they need to watch the kids!

Thanks just needed to vent.

32 replies
sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 33

I know what you mean. But the way I see it is we probably don't understand a lot of the things they do either. My BF works on cars for HOURS upon hours upon hours. It boggles my mind. I work on cars so I understand the obsession, but his is at a different level. So while we may not understand their obsession w/ cars, or fixing things, or golf.. or whatever their hobby (or side $$ making job), they equally don't understand ours.We don't know how much work goes into the stuff they do just like they don't understand that we spend hours baking cakes and thinking of designs, etc. I understand your frustration, but just remember, they are usually trying their best. icon_smile.gif

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 33

I always have cakes posted on the calender on the refrigerator so there's never any question if it is an order...or if it is a freebie and up for grabs!!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 33

Oh I'm so sorry that happened to you jens.. I feel your pain on that one.
I don't think that it is that they don't get it, so much as they are just plain irresponsible when it comes to taking over what is not typically their dominion. They become children themselves (self-indulgent). Maybe I'm just talking about my own experience, but I do commiserate with you lol.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #5 of 33

I would be ripped!!! Hubby knows to ask but usually anything sitting on the counter is for us to eat! All my cake orders are in the fridge in the garage.

dcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcakes27 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #6 of 33

Oh, I'm sorry you went through that, I know what you feel. I am teaching myself to decorate, I would love some input once in a while and my husband acts as if I'm just mopping, so when he wants excitement from me I act the same and I know he knows how I felt before.

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 33

They don't get it because it doesn't benefit them. Sorry you went through that. I too feel your pain. I'm sure there are some men who realize the importance of what we do...I haven't found one for myself...but I'm sure he's out there somewhere.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 33

I'm sorry for you to, but very happy to add that since I've been decorating cakes for about year now my husband is so supportive and he's so in awe of anything I do. I think it's a big act lol but I love it anyway! Hes been great about my messy kitchen and my many evenings of take-ut because I am so busy decorating. I'll consider myself lucky.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 33

Well....did you put a note out that said do not touch? In my house, if you don't do that, it's fair game--man, woman, and cat.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:17am
post #10 of 33

I have a "fair game" area of the kitchen. Usually they still ask though.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 33

I put my scraps in a certain bowl so that everyone knows they're fair game. Men need to be trained.

I also have to BEG you to not refer to your husband "babysitting." You're not babysitting if you're watching your own kids!

sweet_teeth Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I put my scraps in a certain bowl so that everyone knows they're fair game. Men need to be trained.

I also have to BEG you to not refer to your husband "babysitting." You're not babysitting if you're watching your own kids!

I do the same w/ my scraps....

And I couldn't agree more with the next statement.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 33

In my house,you touch my cake you are dead frebie or not.Ok im not that bad,if the cake is already cut you can have some,but if it's whole..........just buy yourself a coffin b4 i get there.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 33

[quote="costumeczar"]I put my scraps in a certain bowl so that everyone knows they're fair game. Men need to be trained.

I also have to BEG you to not refer to your husband "babysitting." You're not babysitting if you're watching your own kids![/"

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. We don't have kids, but even my husband absolutely hates when anyone, especially dads, refers to watching their own kids as babysitting.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #15 of 33

Solascakes, that's the way it is here, too! Unless I TELL YOU that it's up for grabs, stay far far away. Even my three year old will tell anyone and everyone who comes near one of my cakes "dont touch that, that's Mama's cake"
It's really funny when I do a cake for one of her friends and she fusses at the guests for getting to close icon_smile.gif

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 33

Maybe not so much a man thing but a communication thing...if hubby hears the clinging of cake pans he'll ask what the cake is for.
Even the Easter Cake after he asked what it's for and my reply was 'easter' he just looked at me and then asked 'ok for here or are we taking with us'

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #17 of 33

my husband is good, but then neither of us have an issue with craving cake so I don't worry.

i think the 'babysitting' would have gotten me more upset then the cake being eaten.. although not by much. Drives him and I nuts when men refer to babysitting their own children...not to say my husband is completely observant when caring for our son.. but at least he doesn't refer to it as babysitting.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #18 of 33

Can we say jail time here!!!!!!!!!!...he would be dead!...lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 33

Re: the whole "babysitting" thing... I say that my DH babysits. and until he does more than pop in a movie and play his video games when I'm out of the house, he KNOWS that I call it that. And I've told him WHY, too. I mean, he thinks it's okay that he "didn't know" that I was gone (seriously, we talked about it, and our house isn't THAT big!) so he didn't feed the kids (7:30 at night), because he thought I was "on it". he is a glorified babysitter, and not much more. A 15 yr old could do a better job than him most of the time.

But back to the cake thing... Train you DH well, and you won't have that problem again. Mine used to touch cakes. THAT made me mental.

sweet_teeth Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #20 of 33

I think a lot of you.. and me personally.. would be offended if you DH told their friends they needed to 'train you.' My gosh icon_redface.gif Some good old fashioned communication I think is key. I clearly mark what are cake scraps, and what is not to be eaten. Without those markings, I'm sure they'd eat it all. They are not mind readers and may just need some guidance.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #21 of 33

You must have a good husband. Mine is completely incapable of being offended, which is WHY I have to TRAIN him. I, myself, am practically perfect, and therefore in no need of "training" (by my husband, anyway). =)

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #22 of 33

I have two teenage boys and a hubby at home, and they don't touch a cake. I have been at this a long time and unless i tell them they can have it they don't touch it, even when they are suppose to.

I made a cake one holiday and i had to work that holiday they were going to my sisters for dinner and were suppose to take the cake with them (i was meeting them after work) well i ended up having to swing home to get dessert cause they didn't think it was for us icon_smile.gif

Now that my boys are older i have even had them call me at work to ask if they can eat the cake on the counter.

sweet_teeth Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

You must have a good husband. Mine is completely incapable of being offended, which is WHY I have to TRAIN him. I, myself, am practically perfect, and therefore in no need of "training" (by my husband, anyway). =)

Lmao icon_wink.gif

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #24 of 33

Let me clarify a bit my kids are 2yrs and 3 yrs they don't know what the cake is for just the fact that it's cake. So my complaint is that my DH doesn't understand what "watching the kids" actually means. I couldn't put the cake in the fridge because I already had a cake in there so there was no extra room. Thank goodness they didn't get into that one. (we put a lock on the fridge) Plus this is not the first time it's happened Just the first time I've been so time crunched.

I really do appreciate your comments. It makes me feel good that other people understand what a pain in the butt it is when something like this happens. icon_rolleyes.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #25 of 33

My husband ate my petit four I had made to show for a client. When I started crying he looked at me and said, "oh well I'll help you make new ones" ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? The client was coming in 30min. I called her and she canceled her order.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #26 of 33

I would have made him bake it over again with me and see just how "easy" is is.

icon_evil.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #27 of 33

My husband laughs because he tells everyone that I fire him all the time.

He tries to help..but he fails all the time. This one time I when I was working. I had a huge cookie order. I had to leave for work and he said he would bake them for me. I had them all cut out and in the fridge on waxed paper. I gave him specific instructions on what to do. I told him not to do anything other than what the paper said....I called later in the day to see how things were going icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif He said I don't know whats wrong but its taking like 20 minutes to get the cookies brown. ??? I about died right there.They were sugar cookies didn't have to be in no more than 13 minutes. I came home to rock hard dark brown disks.I cried for about two hours. He ended up calling the truck driver for a bakery supply wholesaler and bought sugar cookie dough already to go.This guy felt so bad for me he went and opened just to keep my husband out of the dog house. I fired my husband.. there has been many other time but I think that has been the worst.

I have fired my fil also. He came over and asked if he could do anything to help out. I said yeah you can deliver this for me. I figured he could handle a 1 1/2 mile away delivery...no.. he has a hook for a right hand.. he dropped the cake and caught it with his hook.. icon_cry.gif It must run in the family..

I feel for you and completely understand

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I have fired my fil also. He came over and asked if he could do anything to help out. I said yeah you can deliver this for me. I figured he could handle a 1 1/2 mile away delivery...no.. he has a hook for a right hand.. he dropped the cake and caught it with his hook.. icon_cry.gif It must run in the family..

Are you serious about having a hook for a hand? I fell bad for the guy if that's really the case, he must have felt terrible. However, I have to laugh at the mental image of a hook impaling the cake! (I can laugh, it wasn't my cake!) icon_wink.gif

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #29 of 33

I live alone but my house can be Grand Central Station. After a couple of disasters with people thinking cookies and cakes are there for the munching without asking, I have reverted to recipe cards saying things like "Touch me and you're dead meat". I started this last Christmas when a good friend came over who is used to snagging cookies.

This time while I was in the bathroom, he grabbed the top halves of 3D gingerbread reindeer I was trying to make for Christmas Day. I came out and it was like OMG!!! icon_eek.gif

The reindeer didn't get made, I told him he might as well eat the legs too, and I started putting signs on stuff. It works. icon_lol.gif

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Re: the whole "babysitting" thing... I say that my DH babysits. and until he does more than pop in a movie and play his video games when I'm out of the house, he KNOWS that I call it that. And I've told him WHY, too. I mean, he thinks it's okay that he "didn't know" that I was gone (seriously, we talked about it, and our house isn't THAT big!) so he didn't feed the kids (7:30 at night), because he thought I was "on it". he is a glorified babysitter, and not much more. A 15 yr old could do a better job than him most of the time.

I also used to call what my husband did babysitting. Now that my kids are older (youngest is 6) and relatively self-sufficient (can't watch themselves, but they can feed themselves, ect..), my husband is much better. I called it "babysitting" because I had to ask him to watch them. He argued with me that I didn't, but I couldn't just make plans to go somewhere, I had to ask him if he would be home to watch the kids. He never asked, just told me when he had things he was doing. Then when I was out, he would call and ask if I would be home for the next meal, or if I was bringing something back, so he didn't have to feed them. I still need to make sure that if I go shopping or something, that he knows he is watching the kids. He's a good father, but as he says, "I just assume that you have the kids handled".

Men <insert rolleyes smilie>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%