Looooooooooog Distance.

Decorating By gypsei Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 2:01am by jamhays

gypsei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypsei Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

An old friend of mine from HS is getting married in Portland on August 1st and I offered to do the 4 tiered cake. Well, I live In Montana. My question is, how would you go about this? I was thinking of baking at least 2 or 3 of the tiers here at home and getting plastic storage containers, wrapping the cakes super good and put some dry ice on top. I won't ice them until I get to OR. Or would it be ok if I did? I am probably driving 3 hours to meet up with her parents, then ride with them probably another 12 hours to portland. What you all you super awesome, full of great ideas people think?
thanks,
sara

4 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 5

I would bake everything the day before the trip, and bring all cakes, decorations, flowers and fondant/tools or buttercream with me, and decorate after I got to Portland. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldnt want to travel that distance, then transfer cars, then another 12 hours in a car with a cake thats already done. No way!!! The thought of it gives me a migrane! icon_cry.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't think you would need to ice them for the trip. If you froze them before and packed them into a cooler, they should be ok for the trip

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 5

As far as icing down and/or freezing:

I dont' refrigerate my cakes to start with. I've read how people run the A/C on super high for over 20 minutes before they even put the cakes inside and I never do that either. I load the cakes, start the van, turn on the air and pull away. I never put them in coolers, never freeze them ahead of time, never "get them really cold", etc.

Delivered a fully decorated wedding cake long distance for a nephew this way and it made it just fine.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 5

I live in TX & took my Brother's wedding cake to St.Louis. I baked everything @ home & put the base coat of icing on each layer. I put each layer in it's own box. Hauled them in the back of my Grand Cherokee all the way up there. When I got there, I decorated & stacked everything together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%