My Fn Oven Broke!!

Decorating By Crissy_Cakes Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm by Crissy_Cakes

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 7

Are you freaking kidding me? I mean really who's oven breaks! WTF! I noticed earlier last week when I was baking that the element was glowing in one area but I seriously thought nothing of it icon_redface.gif
....well I guess I should have cared because when I got home from my "day" job I turned the oven on (to preheat) and proceeded to sit down with the hubby to eat dinner. Well when I got up to start baking the cakes the color inside the oven caught my eye......THE COIL WAS BRIGHT WHITE AND WAS SPARKING! icon_eek.gif
WTF? This POS stove is only a year and a half old! surely I haven't baked that much to burn out the coil!?! Then DH really pushing my buttons by proceeding to say "I told you you needed to clean the F'ing thing a few weeks ago, I smelled something burning"! .icon_rolleyes.gif Whatever, I'd like to see him stick his our ass in there and scrub it....and the burning smell was a piece of bread dough I dropped on Wednesday night that has since been removed. But I digress.

Has this happened to anyone else, what'd you do?

I ordered a new element but it won't be here until Friday and one of my cake orders that was due on Friday. We live in BFE and it'd would inconvenience our friends if I was to drop in and bake some cakes...family is out of the question because they are 2K miles away.

I think I'm just going to cancel the orders I have and pull my "act of god" card. Urgh. icon_cry.gif

6 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 7

I can at leasp promise you it wasn't your fault for not cleaning it that was the problem. Because i had a cake overflow and didn't have time to clean it up right away and used the oven a week later and all the mess did to the heating coil was start a little fire (Just a little one don't ask) but it still works fine.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

I have had this hapen but my stove was much older. The repair guy cam out the next day and fixed it for $100

I am sorry,Good Luck

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 7

Maybe if your customer is someone your a good friend with, and you explain the situation, maybe you could use their oven?? m I'm sure they'd say "sure come on over!"... Or... explain why you wouldn't be able to make the cake for them, and maybe they will offer for you to use their oven???

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 7

It may be that you can just replace the heating element...some of them sort of "plug in", and are easily replaced. Good luck

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 7

I feel for you. I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning out my oven. My husband just watched me. Then had the nerve to say, "guess Easy-off isn't that easy, huh?" Almost had the can upside his head.

Oven only 18 months old...any warranty left on it?

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

Well I have some good news, I was able to get ahold of a distributor that had the element stock and it actually shipped last night and will apparently be here Wednesday! And best part is, it was only $42 (including shipping)....so I'm sorry to hear you had to pay $100 SweetSweet, that's ridiculous. The guy was even kind enough to tell me how to pull out the other one and install this one; apprantly you just unscrew two screws, pop the old one out, snap the new one in and re-tighten the screws. Done deal.

Best of all, I was able to call my best friend back and tell her I'm now able to do her shower cake for me.

Thanks everyone for your support, I was freaking out yesterday...DH didn't make me feel any better about the situation either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%