Please Dont Flog Me :) Car Question

Decorating By SeeChicletRun Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 12:33am by SeeChicletRun

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 17

Okay so next weekend I want to make a car, but I cant figure out how to get it off the 'ground' Its a 57 chevy and Im just not sure how to have it so the body of the car isnt sitting on the cakeboard.
I want it to look like this, but no chocolate cake underneath (the car will be enough!!) so the tires would be on the cakeboard

I did a search in this forum and actually found my very first thread on CC *awe* but I didnt find what I needed. Although I did get some awesome ideas for my oldest sons next birthday icon_biggrin.gif So the time wasnt wasted!

Thanks so much in advance!

16 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 17

LOL *please don't flog me* that made me laugh icon_lol.gif

If I were making that I'd cut a cake board out to the exact measurement of the body of the car, place the cake on this (minus the wheels)

Next, I'd place that on a smaller piece of styrofoam (square) that has been glued to the cake board. Then I'd attach the wheels last.

It will look like the car is raised and supported by the wheels only.

Hopefully I haven't confused you! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 17

Your so smart dkelly!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

LOL *please don't flog me* that made me laugh icon_lol.gif

If I were making that I'd cut a cake board out to the exact measurement of the body of the car, place the cake on this (minus the wheels)

Next, I'd place that on a smaller piece of styrofoam (square) that has been glued to the cake board. Then I'd attach the wheels last.

It will look like the car is raised and supported by the wheels only.

Hopefully I haven't confused you! icon_biggrin.gif

what dkelly said ^^^^^^^^^^^ fantastic idea!!!!!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 17

You can't tell us what not to do,afterall we've been through this past weekend with some fake posts icon_biggrin.gif ,WE WILL FLOG YOU. icon_lol.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 17

Fake posts? What did I miss solascakes?

I second dkelly's instructions. It sounds like it will work perfectly!

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 17

I actually made this 1968 Chevelle cake with the body elevated from the wheels exactly as dkelly described. I cut out the cake board to exactly match the body of the cake minus the wheels. I then put the car body on a larger cake board with a large "brick" of styrofoam in between to elevate the body enough to make room to slide the wheels into place.

In all honesty, when I made my McQueen cake I used the following tutorial by Natalie and found it to be a lot simpler to make the car and inserting the wheels. Hope either method works for you.

Good Luck!

http://www.how2cakes.com/3dcar.html
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 17

Here's a neat idea.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-car-birthday-cake-23.html

I did a tractor and supported it the way dkelly said. I hot-glued the styrofoam to the base board and also to the underneath side of the cake board it was on. Here's a picture of that one.
LL

Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

Your so smart dkelly!

icon_lol.gif Now you know I had to show your comment to my husband, don't ya?! icon_biggrin.gif

SeeChicletRun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:13pm
post #10 of 17

dkelly thank you so much! I was thinking along those lines but I really didnt think it would work. I figured it had to be more difficult!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

You can't tell us what not to do,afterall we've been through this past weekend with some fake posts icon_biggrin.gif ,WE WILL FLOG YOU. icon_lol.gif

icon_biggrin.gif Well I did say please, and I can assure you Im no troll. Ive even posted a picture of myself here and a link to my business (not cake related) I promise to not be a sh!t stirrer icon_wink.gif

SeeChicletRun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread! I finished the cake yesterday and it looked totally cool with the styrofoam holding it up!!

(please excuse the amatureness of the actual cake icon_redface.gif Im not a professional)

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 17

But it does look lovely though icon_smile.gif Great job!!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 17

Your car looks awesome
If anyone else does car cakes and your not sure, I suggest getting the mike's amazing cake video.

myholidayboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myholidayboyz Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 17

Great job on the cake!!!

Deb_ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 17

Wow........that came out awesome, great job on all that carving, that's a lot of work! You should be very proud of yourself, that's a great accomplishment! icon_smile.gif

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 17

Your cake looks awesome SeeChickletRun! Great job!

SeeChicletRun Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #17 of 17

Thank you so much!! It was a really huge challenge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%