Sorry If This Has Come Up Before... Legalities In The Uk??

Business By HannahLass Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm by MissBaritone

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:34am
post #1 of 5

I'm a hobby decorator, made cakes as presents for friends and shock and horror charged for a few of them. I have tried to research the legalities in the UK how to get legal and if you can without a shop etc but I cant find anything (probably my complete ineptness and not searching for the right thing) Can anyone help? I don't even know where to go from here. I'm not sure if this is something I want to do full time, I have my full time job that takes up all hours (not that I mind) and fear I would just start to hate decorating if I did it all day every day. I just want to know where I stand if I decide to take this further than maybe making one cake a month for friends and such. Thank you


4 replies
Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:38am
post #2 of 5


I don't make cakes for money but when I was contemplating the idea I bought a book called, 'Starting a Cake Decorating Business' by Kathy Moore.

This really does help you think about all aspects before committing to anything. V short of time at mo as OH standing over me.. so will summarise by using wording from back of book..

A guide to Environmental Health issues in your home
How to obtain and comply with the relevant regulations and legislation, including copyright.
Information on financial matters including income tax, national insurance and accounts

I contacted my local environmental health team and they sent out information.

HTH by giving you a start


saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:15am
post #3 of 5

Mouse's suggestion of Kathy Moore's book is a great place to start and you should definately phone your local council to ask to speak to the Food Team in the Environmental Health Department.

I was amazaded at how helpful EH were, there is no charge for any of their services, I thought that there might be an administration fee of some sort but the only thing I had to pay for was the Food Hygiene training that you have to do in order to get licenced, it was £55.

Different councils have different requirements, the only recommendation I got was to put a hand washing sink in my kitchen, the sink cost £34 and my husband is handy and put it in for me. I have a friend in Glasgow who had to put in a double sink which was a bit more trouble but in Stirlingshire my sink and a half was fine as I have a dishwasher and Glasgow EH didn't ask her to put in a handwash sink as she had a cloakroom with sink next to the kitchen.

If I were you I would start with Environmental Health as the will let you know if you need to alter your kitchen, the cost of what they want you to do may mean it isn't worth it for only selling one cake a month.



HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:09am
post #4 of 5

Thankyou Mouse and Sara,
I am adding that book to my basket on amazon right now, worth a read incase I do decide to take this further. I'm still learning only been doing this a couple of months, just slightly worried that if I would end up feeling like I HAD to do cakes rather than wanting to. Thankyou for you advice.


MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 5

definately speak to your council.

You do have to register the premises 4 weeks before you start trading and you have to have your food hygine certificate. (I found out you can do this online for £25)

The council were great. They came out and inspected my kitchen and told me what needed to be done. In my case I just had to repair a crack in the wall. They were happy for me to use my single sink as I have a dishwasher for my pots and pans. The inspector told me that they are slightly more relaxed about facilites available in domestic kitchens as opposed to commercial kitchens. (eg a commercial kitchen has to have fully tiled walls but I'm allowed partially tiled walls). However once I started trading I was and still am expected to comply with all the same health and hygine rules as a commercial kitchen. Failure to comply can result in prosecution. They also provided me with free litrature advising on my obligations.

The best thing to remember is the council are not there to jump on you and prevent you from trading for the slightest little thing. They are there to assist you as well as looking out for the health of the general public you're selling to. Work with them from the beginning and your life will be much easier

Quote by @%username% on %date%