How Do You Organize Your Paperwork/customers?

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm by ladyonzlake

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

I was just wondering how you guys organize all your paperwork, contracts, etc for your customers?

I've started to make file folders for each individual customer, so I can keep their contract in there & any other relevant paperwork (emails, pictures, etc). Is this a good idea? Or am I creating more work for myself?

I've fallen behind quite a bit, so I was wondering what everyone else does. And how long do you keep that customer's info/file for?

Of course, this wouldn't be so overwhelming if I had just stayed caught up on all the new customers!!

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 6

I keep everything in electronic folders, in order by year, then by date/bride's name. (Folder "2009", then inside that folder is a folder for every single bride who has made an inquiry. Those folders are entitled "2009-06-06 Smith, Mary". For small or random bookings, I just check the computer.....not printing anything out.

When I have a busy period (like the next two weeks coming up), I print out the order forms and put them on my "Duff Wall" .... I have one wall dedicated to printed orders and the paperwork is posted in date order ... much like the wall Duff has with his multiple clip-boards on it. After the event is done, I trash the paperwork .... I have a copy in my computer.

All orders, changes and updates are comfirmed by email and that email is saved in the Bride's File Folder.

How did I manage to do this before the computer age? icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 6

I have a file folder with files listed in order of months. I place my signed brides contracts under the month that the cake is due.

I also have another folder for "completed" contracts where I keep my completed wedding cake orders.

I also have a copy of the unsigned contracts in my computer under each brides name.

For celebration cakes I use Quicken for business and have an invoice for each person. I also print out the invoice and place on a clip board.

I use my calendar to keep my due dates organized and check it a month in advance so that I can order supplies ect.

I'm sure there's a better method but thats' what I do for now.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 6

It's called Cake Boss! As far as receipts go, I file those in a big plastic flex folder that has the rubberband closure.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

It's called Cake Boss! As far as receipts go, I file those in a big plastic flex folder that has the rubberband closure.

As far as I know CakeBoss doesn't make/hold contracts, emails & all that other kind of paperwork.

eta: I am & like to be a little more organized than throwing everything in a big folder with a rubberband around it.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 6

I have CakeBoss and while I do like it, it seems to be more for the "homebased" baker. I needed Quicken Business (I actually need QuickBooks) to keep track of invoice, customers, and taxes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%