Road Cake

Decorating By tiffy_228 Updated 17 May 2014 , 6:00pm by sweetgirl25

tiffy_228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy_228 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

I've seen a bunch of cakes that have a road leading up to the top tier. I can't seem to figure out how to cut my cake so it looks like that. Any advice?

Do I just have my three tiers frosted and stacked then cut out the road?
OR
Do I have three tiers and add on to each layer to make the road?
LL

6 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 7

I've made a couple "road" cakes. I used 2 tiers, a 10" and 6" rounds. That way you can have at least a 2" wide road winding around the cake. The cake you've pictured is a 2 tier cake carved.

When carving I just eyeballed it. I scored with my knife where I wanted the road to start and where it would end. Then took a smaller cake pan, set it on top to help guide me and get the curve of the road. When I started the cake, I had no clue how to *really* do it but it was actually pretty easy to do once I started. I hope that makes some sense. Good luck!

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 7

Following the info Michellers gave note in the pic you posted that the top tier is set as far to the side of the cake under it that the sides match up......this give you the room to carve the road into that tier under the top one.

As for the road part in the lowest tier......I have a feeling they took the cake cut off the top tier & added it to the bottom.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Here's a thread with a few diagrams.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6285600-road.html#6285600

Yes! That's how I made mine. Wish I would've found that before I made mine though, so I didn't have to stand there and stare at it for so long. icon_lol.gif

tiffy_228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy_228 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for all of your advice!! Here's the finished cake (I forgot to put the toy car on though...) I didn't do a lot of carving, I just added on to the cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1348423

sweetgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetgirl25 Posted 17 May 2014 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7

ACan someone send me a link with step by step on this to do the side roads?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%