Licensed In New York

Baking By kimmyboo925 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm by toleshed

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have any information on how to become licensed in New York. Thanks in advance...

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

contact the department of agriculture They license home processors. You also, need to see about town/city zoning laws.

Good Luck.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 5

I've been curious about this too, there are a couple threads and one member said you cannot get a license in NY to work at home but I have not made any calls myself (I know I really should have already!) If you do find anything out or if anyone else knows, Please share! icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 5

Alot of getting licensed at home in NY depends on where you are. All i needed and i kid you not is hot water (if it isn't town water it needs to be tested) fridge temp and no pets.

It is very limited what you can do from home. And you are limited to doing wholesale and no advertising. You have to do ingredient lists. You can do farmers markets. You can do fudge, cookies, double crusted pies, baked goods. No creams or custards. You can do jellys and jams, i think you might have to take a class for that but i'm not totally sure on that one. There is a list of stuff you can do. By all means you have nothing to loose to contact the Department of Agriculture its not like they are going to send the police out looking for you, if you are just looking for information you can also check the website. just google nys department of agriculture.

What you are looking at is a home processor.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 5

Here in Rensselaer county, near Albany, its totally based on your county. The health dept came and made sure that I have a Home style oven, and that there were no pets. I had to have a water test since we have a well. I cannot sell "online" and I can't sell chocolate. Those were my only stipulations. Now if I want to pay $200 per year, then I can be licensed and can sell online. That lady was here like 5 minutes. But again - it is based on the county you live in. When you call the Agriculture Dept., don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask them what is required of you. They were very good with me. HTH. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%