butternut Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #511 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahsm

As someone who worked at a bank and had to go testify at one of these types of things. YES the bank can take action. Thankfully the girl was wanted on other things too and plead guilty so I didn't have to testify when I got to the courthouse.

In the case you are talking about did the bank "make the payment" or were the funds never transferred from the check writer to the payee? If the bank had in fact made the payment to the payee, they (the bank) becomes the victim not the person to whom the check was written. If the bank demanded repayment from the person to whom the funds were given, and that person refunded the money to the bank, the person to whom the check had been written becomes the victim.

Based on what you're saying here compared to what you said before - you are contradicting yourself...I'm confused. The bank doesn't "pay" anyone...they withdraw funds from the account it's been written from - the victim is always the payee...never the bank. With that said - that doesn't mean they can't go after the customer who committed fraud. They have an obligation to do so based on the federal fraud laws. Think of it as the bank being the middle-man enforcing the banking laws.

A check is a contract to pay the amount of money it's made out for. If you knowingly write a check that you have no intention of paying, that is fraud. End of story...The bank is involved because it was their customer, not because it was their money.

A bank will take the money back from your account whether you have the money in there or not. Yes, the account is then negative if the funds weren't available to take back but it's the victim's debt at that point. The bank owns none of the money in any of these accounts so I do not see how the bank can ever be a victim unless they have loaned money and the loan is in default.

hmmmm

I do believe that we are agreeing on the same thing. The bank can only be a victim if they have a monetary loss. Otherwise it is between the person who did the stop payment and the person who was suppose to receive the payment. If you write a check that has sufficient funds to cover there can not be a "check fraud". If you then stop payment, still with sufficient funds available, you have just comitted a fraud on the person who you owe the money to. If you write a check from an account that does not have sufficient funds available you have once again comitted a fraud toward the person you owe. If you have written a check without sufficient funds available and your bank made payment to the payee, you have just comitted a fraud (in most states what is called writing a bad check) against the bank. If the bank is unable to retrieve the funds from the payee, the bank certainly will go after the check writer.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #512 of 1040

Okay I need an update: Last I heard the venue lady was going to get some Walmart sheetcakes for the wedding. The wedding was last night (right?) so I'm wondering what happened?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #513 of 1040

DSEVANS, where are you? Anything new this afternoon?

Was today her friend's wedding with cake #2?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #514 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Okay I need an update: Last I heard the venue lady was going to get some Walmart sheetcakes for the wedding. The wedding was last night (right?) so I'm wondering what happened?

No updates yet bob. The OP is supposed to go the venue today and take some of the cake with her to give to the venue rep and other employees there. Hopefully they'll give her all the juicy tidbits......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

I am taking the largest teir to the venue rep tomorrow for them to eat and then the rest is going to our churchs easter picnic on sunday

Okay gotta get back to work on my friends cake for tomorrow ...which she paid in full for three months ago!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #515 of 1040

Yes, today was her friend's wedding with cake #2! I hope she is having a great time and relaxing with a bottle of champagne! After all of this, she deserves some girl time with her friends! Let's all back off a bit and give her some time to rest! I'm sure she'll check back in after she chats with her buddy at the venue where this fiasco wedding happened!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #516 of 1040

You know....this is pretty sad isn't it? LOL We are waiting on pins and needles for more "cake gossip" and I bet we all have Easter things to be accomplished don't we? LOL

Well, I for one have MY Easter cake complete to the point of finishing touches tomorrow because, well, I can't make small cakes and this one BARELY fits in the frig! LOL

Waiting on DSEVANS! Where is our fix? LOL

Beth in KY

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #517 of 1040

WOW......35 pages..I just found this a while ago.......it truly amazes me that they are people out there that pull this kind of stuff AND think it's okay to do so...I'm with the others.....KARMA!!! Can't wait to hear what the venue folks have to say.

DSEVANS!!! Kudos for your professionalism and sticking to your guns! Way to go!!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #518 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

DSEVANS, where are you? Anything new this afternoon?

Was today her friend's wedding with cake #2?

Forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

Sorry have been fighting with cake #2 all day...fondant just doesn't want to work right...think half because of humidity and half because I have been aggitated but too busy to quit working< I did bring my friends cake home with me though to finsih since I am leaving early in the am to drive an hour with it and help finsih setting up for her wedding.......

cutthecake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #519 of 1040

Thanks. I couldn't find that comment.

I'm at work at the accountant's office again. Work is such an intrusion!

Do you think I can sue the bride for loss of wages if I lose my job because I'm following this story? It will be all her fault!

cutthecake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #520 of 1040

Oh, no!
DSEVANS will be partying at the wedding today, and maybe we won't get an update until MONDAY because of Easter! I can't wait that long!

bethola Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #521 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Thanks. I couldn't find that comment.

I'm at work at the accountant's office again. Work is such an intrusion!

Do you think I can sue the bride for loss of wages if I lose my job because I'm following this story? It will be all her fault!

I think they tried that on Judy Judy....she said "NO!" LOL

Beth

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #522 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykakes

Being so new in this business......I am absolutely amazed at the amount of support for eachother. I think all of you posters need a thumbs up thumbs_up.gif . What a great group of people to have as support and to give great advice to us newer people!

To the OP: you have class! hat1.gif

i have to agree with you ..its a cake family! you guys are great!

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #523 of 1040

dsevans--- your cake is so amazing, that bride sure missed out. You I'm still so shocked that someone did this all ON PURPOSE. It's strange how some people just feel no shame and can justify anything....

We are all waiting to see if you heard any news on what happened at the reception.

My kitchen is full of dirty dishes.... the laundry is piled up, my two year old and I are still in our jammies, and the Easter cake is still not done... I had to catch up on the saga..... I left off on page 12 yesterday!!!!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #524 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

You are correct in that "check fraud" can be a federal crime but in this case "stop payment" is not considered a "check" fraud. "Check fraud" example would be the "forging" of a check", or "passing a forged check"; or using a "replica" of a check. dsevans certainly has a great case of "attempted fraud" or a charge of "attempting to obtain property by false pretense". Either one a felony because of the amount.

This is also incorrect.

Hubby is sitting next to me. 25 years in banking and a LOT of those years were involved in solving check fraud at his bank. He practically shared an office with the bank attorney.

All of your examples ARE examples of check fraud. But check fraud is also writing a check WITH THE INTENT of putting a stop payment on it. Passing a bad check is prosecutable. She wrote a check with insufficient funds. She issued a stop payment without a valid reason. There's "intent to fraud" and "intent of theft by fraud" written all over this.

Under certain circumstances, a stop payment IS considerd check fraud. And from what I've read on here, these two bozo's (bride and MOB) qualify for these circumstances.

I haven't read anywhere that there were insufficient funds in the bride's checking account. I may have missed that but in reviewing the posts I don't see that anywhere. That being said, if the bride wrote a check with sufficient funds available, there can not be any "CHECK" fraud. The check is good! There are funds available to make payment. Now, if she decided, before or after, talking to the baker, that she was going to stop payment AFTER talking with the baker and being assured that the contract was going to be fulfilled, then she has committed fraud against the BAKER NOT THE BANK! She had a criminal intent to defraud the baker of money owed to the baker. Following her conversation with the baker she fully believed that the cake would be delivered as promised, knowing that she had already put a stop payment on the final payment for services.
This information comes from twenty three years of law enforcement; thirteen years of private investigations and hundreds of criminal cases involving all types of felonies including financial crimes. As well as family members who prosecutes exactly these types of cases.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #525 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Yes, you're wrong icon_smile.gif

If you are baking illegally, any contracts are void.

It would be like a drug dealer drawing up contracts for deliveries, lol. Just because you have something stating someone should pay you, doesnt mean it's valid.

There's a difference between dealing in illegal activity and a cake. It is wholly false that you must be a licensed business to enforce a contract. Before I was ever license (pre CC days) I had to go to court due to a stop-payment on a check and my being licensed was NEVER an issue. I won the case because I did what I promised. Your reasoning would indicate that only businesses can make up and enforce a contract. Not true at all! Everyday people make contracts every day and they are enforced as well!

Tammi

This all is getting confusing. But I would think you don't have to have a licenced business to enter into a contract with another. Say you are selling your car to your brother (you do not have a car dealership)..but he is going to make you payments and you wrote a contract (reviewed by a attorney). If he defaults on the loan..it would still make him liable....right?

Karen1534 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen1534 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #526 of 1040

All I can say is WOW!
Your cake is amazing! Will you do cakes for me at that price. I could make a thousand bucks and not do anything. You don't charge enough girl. Your baby needs it. AND, SO DO YOU!
And, would you be willing to teach the rest of us your backbone? YOU GO GIRL! Get all that you can from this little !@#$% and her mommy.
I've been doing cakes for a number of years now. Here is what I do. Hope this helps all you hard working cake designers.
1. Cake must be paid in full no less than 30 days before event.
2. If for some reason they can not pay, if it is less than 30 days. I accept a cashiers check or cash only.
3. If it gets up to just days before the event. Then it's cash only.
4. When I do deliver the cake. Someone, Bride, MoB or FoB. MUST BE AT RECEPTION HALL TO SIGN OFF ON THE CAKE AFTER IT IS SET UP. Set up is not less than 2hours before wedding. Why do I have someone sign off on the cake? They must inspect the cake to make sure I'm leaving it setup with NO: MISSING ROSES, FINGER SWIPES OR JUST PLAIN OOOPS. BY THE SERVING STAFF EST. No damage to the cake when I left. Covers your $@^ later. I've had them come back after the fact and said: The cake was damaged in some way. And, then demand their money back. I also take at least 4 photos before I leave with time and date stamped on the photos.

This is all stated in my contract. And, I make sure to READ THIS PART TO THE BRIDE. So, that she can't claim "She didn't know". I've had caters damage a cake. And, then say I left it that way.

People will try anything to get something for nothing.

Good Luck!

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #527 of 1040

icon_confused.gif Whew! I think I need to go to law school to follow this thread.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #528 of 1040
Quote:

I haven't read anywhere that there were insufficient funds in the bride's checking account.

Hey, you're right! I am assuming that based on the bride telling the venue that she only had $250 .... she didn't have $550. I took that to mean she only had $250 in her account. And I used the insufficient funds example because hubby gave that as an example of intent to fraud. So yes, I could be wrong on whether this bride had insufficient funds or not.

I will stand by hubby's contention that writing a check with the intent to stop payment without a valid reason is intent to fraud.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #529 of 1040

This bride belongs in the "stupid criminal" file. What did she think would happen come Monday and the OP found out the check was no good?? I can just hear her whine about how "bad things happen to me and they're not even my fault". "Poor pitiful me". NOT

So now, it's ten years later, and you think back on your first wedding and all you remember is no cake. And all your friends remember how you were too cheap to get a decent wedding cake. Hope someone has a camera and sends the picture to CakeWrecks of the Walmart cake...

When I first started reading this, I thought we were being "punked". Truth is stranger than fiction!!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #530 of 1040

just logged back in this morning and of COURSE this is the 1st thread I go to! icon_lol.gif 6 pages whilst I was away. Holy bananas!

Dude, I cannot wait til Monday for info from the venue!! ARGGHH

bethola Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #531 of 1040

Monday? We have to wait until Monday? But I CAN'T wait until Monday!

Beth

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #532 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I haven't read anywhere that there were insufficient funds in the bride's checking account.

Hey, you're right! I am assuming that based on the bride telling the venue that she only had $250 .... she didn't have $550. I took that to mean she only had $250 in her account. And I used the insufficient funds example because hubby gave that as an example of intent to fraud. So yes, I could be wrong on whether this bride had insufficient funds or not.

I will stand by hubby's contention that writing a check with the intent to stop payment without a valid reason is intent to fraud.

I agree with your hubby's contention that writing a check with the intent to stop payment is "fraud" against the person to whom the check was written. What I was saying is that it is not considered "check fraud". So I think we are actually agreeing. icon_biggrin.gif
I think we all hope that someone is videoing the wedding as the bride steps on her trail and falls right on her WalMart cake. icon_evil.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #533 of 1040

Just told my DH about this, too and here's what he said:

"What an idiot. I hope it is worth jailtime for WM sheet cakes"

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #534 of 1040

Wow! This is insane! OP I think you're awesome for how you've handled this. I can't believe how some people behave these days. My kids just got a lecture because of this thread! I can't wait to hear an update.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #535 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Just told my DH about this, too and here's what he said:

"What an idiot. I hope it is worth jailtime for WM sheet cakes"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think that's the best summary of this whole deal! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #536 of 1040

Okay - I know this is all over now and I'm nearly 20 pages behind (some of us had cakes to bake icon_wink.gif ) but I told my husband this morning I wish OP would have delivered the bottom tier with an edible image of the Stop Payment Order on it and timed it so the cake was sitting there for all her guests to look at while the wedding party was having photos done.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #537 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Okay - I know this is all over now and I'm nearly 20 pages behind (some of us had cakes to bake icon_wink.gif ) but I told my husband this morning I wish OP would have delivered the bottom tier with an edible image of the Stop Payment Order on it and timed it so the cake was sitting there for all her guests to look at while the wedding party was having photos done.

oooh! I like the way you think! icon_evil.gif

swe3ts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swe3ts Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #538 of 1040

Wow she got her's in the end. Ha I would so love to see a picture of her dropdead gorgous walmart cakes icon_twisted.gif . Your cake was absolutly beautiful and a steal at the price you had given her. She didn't deserve your beatuiful creation. I know the people at church will be more than happy and apprecative of all the time and hard work you put into this cake.

chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #539 of 1040

Desevans,

Your cake was absolutely gorgeous! Don't be surprised to know that not only the wedding was cxld by the groom. Hope you enjoy your Easter and she is getting exactly what she deserves and more. thumbs_up.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #540 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by swe3ts

Wow she got her's in the end. Ha I would so love to see a picture of her dropdead gorgous walmart cakes icon_twisted.gif . Your cake was absolutly beautiful and a steal at the price you had given her. She didn't deserve your beatuiful creation. I know the people at church will be more than happy and apprecative of all the time and hard work you put into this cake.

she didn't get "hers" yet... she will when her happy a** lands in jail and she has to pay court costs and restitution

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%