Help Emergency!!

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm by xstitcher

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #1 of 17

ok so i tried making mmf with this recipe
16 oz white marshmallows
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar (approx. 8 cups confectioners' or powdered sugar)
(DO NOT USE ALL OF THE SUGAR)

i halfed it so only 8oz mm
1tbsp water
4 cups ps

i have the consistancy of dried out stale bread dough and i half maybe half the sugar worked in and there is lumps all inside in the instructions they talk about add more ps if too stick psh i still half to work in what is going on? anybody have any idea please help i cant afford a $15 tub of fondant right now icon_sad.gif

16 replies
twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 17

Never made the stuff but here's a bump for you.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 17

That is why I stopped making MMF. I make micheles fondant and LOVE IT. Anyway, try working a little crisco in the mmf.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #4 of 17

You might want to try kneading it some more and add a touch of shortening to smooth it out if it seems too dry.

You definitely DON'T want to use all the powdered sugar but if you've only used half (if I read correctly), then it should not be too dry yet. You have to let it rest at least 2 hours and you'll find that this helps the lumps will dissolve on their own.

See if these steps help...then see how it looks after resting and it may actually end up ok.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #5 of 17

I prefer MFF to MMF too but I have a question for you. Did you sift your sugar first? The first time I had it I had small clumps of sugar left in it because I didn't sift the sugar 1st icon_redface.gif .

You've gotta try MFF it's way easier and less messier and tastes way better too (especially if you add some white chocolate to the mix).

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of 17

That happen to me before and I just add glicerine or corn syrup knead it for a couple minutes until you get the consistency you want, you may have to add a the glicerine little by litte, and it may take few min. but believe me it works!!!!, do not add water!!!!, thumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:31am
post #7 of 17

Ahh! something else, whenever you need fondant again I recomend Michele Foster's it is the best, thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif it change my life icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif or if you like your recipe gradually add the sugar, never do it all at once, live soft but not sticky and when you are ready to work add more sugar if you need it I always do that with Michele's fondant, I usually save 1 cup of sugar and when I am ready I add it little by litte if it needs it. thumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:33am
post #8 of 17
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:45am
post #9 of 17

You can also try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe - that's what I use and I love it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5213-0-Addendum-to-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

jpena11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpena11 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 17

Although I am new to cake decorating, my first experience with making this kind of fondant left me with a HUGE mess... (I hate mess) so I now make it in my kitchen aid mixer using the dough hook. I first grease the bowl and hook with Crisco and I never put the speed past the first "stir" setting (as I learned that faster causes the fondant to become "tough") I add about 1 cup of powdered sugar, sifted directly into the mixer bowl first before adding the marshmallow, then sprinkle some on top (about a hand full) before lowering the hook. I then add the sugar (sifted) in small amounts, stopping the mixer when I add. Once the fondant "balls" around the hook and is no longer sticky, I grease my hands with the Crisco and kneed in more sugar on a clean greased counter top.

I have never used the full amount of the sugar that my recipe calls for as it has always reached a good usable consistency with less.

Best tip I can give for it to be smooth is be generous with the Crisco. I grease the counter top that I kneed on and my hands. and I also add some directly to the fondant through out the kneeding process.

Hope this helps someone (it's my first post).

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpena11

...Hope this helps someone (it's my first post).

I'm sure it will!

Welcome to CC, your going to love it here.

If you haven't already seen this thread then I would highly recommend it, it's great for all the cake lingo and other acronyms here!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #12 of 17

I tried making MMF a year ago and it came out like a taffy consistency. I don't know what I did wrong icon_cry.gif Needless to say, I've never made MMF again.

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:13am
post #13 of 17

I use Michele Fosters fondant to cover all my cakes with, but I do make MMF to make gumpaste (with tylose) for flowers and covering my boards. This is the video I watched to learn. It's split into 2 videos. Good luck!

1st Video

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:23am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artese

I tried making MMF a year ago and it came out like a taffy consistency. I don't know what I did wrong icon_cry.gif Needless to say, I've never made MMF again.

If it was still "sticky" like taffy, then you probably needed more powdered sugar. There is a fine line between when it's just right and when there's too much (making it dry). I usually try to aim for just a bit on the softer side since it's easier just to add more PS as I need it therefore easier to fix.

The consistency of a good MMF is like that of dough and it should no longer be sticky. If it's still got some stickiness to it then knead in more PS a bit at a time until no longer sticky.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpena11

Although I am new to cake decorating, my first experience with making this kind of fondant left me with a HUGE mess... (I hate mess) so I now make it in my kitchen aid mixer using the dough hook. I first grease the bowl and hook with Crisco and I never put the speed past the first "stir" setting (as I learned that faster causes the fondant to become "tough") I add about 1 cup of powdered sugar, sifted directly into the mixer bowl first before adding the marshmallow, then sprinkle some on top (about a hand full) before lowering the hook. I then add the sugar (sifted) in small amounts, stopping the mixer when I add. Once the fondant "balls" around the hook and is no longer sticky, I grease my hands with the Crisco and kneed in more sugar on a clean greased counter top.

I have never used the full amount of the sugar that my recipe calls for as it has always reached a good usable consistency with less.

Best tip I can give for it to be smooth is be generous with the Crisco. I grease the counter top that I kneed on and my hands. and I also add some directly to the fondant through out the kneeding process.

Hope this helps someone (it's my first post).

Welcome!

I do this too for my MMF, but I never take it out and knead it after (except to add color). I just add more crisco directly to my KA till it's the consistency I need. I haven't tried MFF yet, but plan to soon, as long as I can do it in my KA too. I have a chronic condition that makes my muscles weaker and weaker, so it's hard for me to knead something for too long.

Also, instead of water, I add colorless flavoring, and just a tiny bit of water if I still need some after. For example, yesterday I made Easter Basket cakes in Orange Dreamsicle flavor, and made my MMF orange flavored.

HTH!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #16 of 17

Ugh.....MMF=humongous gross sticky mess. MFF=simple, mess free and delicious!

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ugh.....MMF=humongous gross sticky mess. MFF=simple, mess free and delicious!

and.....you can make gp with it too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%