Are You Ready For This? (Long, But Hilarious)

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 1:50am by Deb_

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 47

A little backstory-- my husband's ex wife and I have a tense, yet civil relationship. They have been split for 9 years, DH and I have been together for 8 (married for 6)years (his son with ex is 9 1/2) We see each other at least weekly due to our custody arrangement.

So, EX is getting married and sent me an email asking if I could make a wedding cake for her, but here are the catch's

*the wedding is in Florida and the cake will need to drive with them and the 4 kids(one being a 4 week old baby) and luggage in small SUV
*here are some links of one's she likes and can I do them (simple icing with seashells- I got the condescending tone on this one)
*her and the fiance can't decide between lemon or yellow and may need a tasting
OK- here's the best part......

THERE ARE ONLY GOING TO BE 12 GUESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF

I realize that I have a different take being so close to the situation, but really? A tasting for a 12 person "wedding" cake? And to ask all of this of your EX-HUSBAND's new wife?

sorry, I just had to share with other cakers---

46 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 47

I think *Ex-lax* comes in lemon flavor! icon_razz.gif

icon_lol.gif sorry couldn't resist icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know if I could bake a Wedding cake for an ex......hmmm icon_rolleyes.gif No, I couldn't do it, you're a good sport for even entertaining the possibility.

I think we're gonna hear some interesting stories about this one in the near future. icon_wink.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 47

I think I could do the cake but she is asking for a little to much for me. Yeah got to LOL at that one.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 47

So....12 servings=a 6 inch round for party servings.

Charge her $25/slice.

icon_lol.gif

Love to see the look on her face when she sees a 6 inch round on her table.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 47

I think I would politly let her know that she should "p/u" her cake somewhere close to the venue. Oh, I'm sorry did that sound condesending?,lol. I mean really, why should you even bother. Maybe to keep the peace, you could just be too busy. JMHO as an ex.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 47

What does your husband say?

jillmakescakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 47

hubby just laughed when he read about it being driven to Florida.

I MIGHT have considered doing something (for the sake of our oldest), but with the cake being driven to Florida, I just don't think its a very good idea.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #8 of 47

DUDE

That's high-larious!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

my DH has an ex, too. I feel your pain

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 47

Take the "ex" out of it and it's still an order that you wouldn't do, for all the logical reasons.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #10 of 47

That is funny!! but to keep the peace you could find a decorator here that is close to her venue to do the cake for her.

But seriously - why even have a wedding cake fore 12 people??

I mean we only had like 25 people, but we did the smallest cake that the decorator would do - still fed 75, but I wanted a wedding cake. I probably would have done something else for only 12 guests!!

6 inch with a dozen cuppies???

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #11 of 47

Send her to Mara's shop (risquebusiness - she used to be a member). I'm sure that she could come up with something from her repertoire which would describe the bride to a T! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Send her to Mara's shop (risquebusiness - she used to be a member). I'm sure that she could come up with something from her repertoire which would describe the bride to a T! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Oh now THAT'S a good idea!!! icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #13 of 47
Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Has anyone heard from her? She really had some smart informative posts...i miss reading them....she was really smart, and super talented.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:32am
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

http://www.medshopexpress.com/834421.html

Tell her Ginger-Lemon Wedding cake is the latest thing. icon_twisted.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #15 of 47

Oh, that is funny! My ex-husband girlfriend has been telling me for years that I WILL be making their cake when they get married....I have done a couple of orders for her so I had no problem with it - they would be charged the same price as anyone else.....

Well, she made the mistake of well and truly pissing me off a couple of months ago and I won't have anything to do with her now. My son tells me (thru his laughter - he's 15 so it's not like he's a little kid stuck in the middle) that she is so upset that I we aren't 'friends' and all she cares about is making up so I'll do the dang cake! (and keep sending cakeballs, which I also stopped doing).

I just cannot wrap my head around all the hoopla for a 12 person wedding cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hey, you could even use the dispenser it comes with to apply the filling! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Has anyone heard from her? She really had some smart informative posts...i miss reading them....she was really smart, and super talented.

I got a couple of emails from her but it's been a long time ago.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 47

I have had the same thing happen to me years ago. My first husband got caught cheating and I filed for divorce. He had the nerve to ask me 3 months later if I would be willing to make their wedding cake (they had to get married; she was 6 months pregnant). I didn't know what to say at first but I finally agreed just to get him to quit bugging me. I ended up not having to do it because they never got married. However, I have made all 4 of his aunts wedding cakes (lol) and just got finished making her daughter's and son's wedding cakes last month. Some people never cease to amaze me.

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #19 of 47

in sharing ex husband stories.... he called me and asked to borrow my cake equipment so HE could make a wedding cake for someone he knew. The man had never made a wedding cake ever. The most he ever did was take one out of the oven once for me. I told him I had no idea where it was ... it was all buried in storage in my parents basement at the time. I should have dug it out and loaned it to him just so I could see what a cake wreck he would put out!

By the way, he told my kids that he taught me everything I know about cakes and cooking. Even tho' they were little kids, they knew how funny THAT statement was! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #20 of 47

It sounds like his ex is a little nutty! You all don't get along and yet you're supposed to make the cake for 12 people? And they want a tasting?? Hands down, wouldn't do it. But I love Summer's suggestion of $25/slice. Haha.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #21 of 47

It's just selfishness run amuck!

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #22 of 47
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hey, you could even use the dispenser it comes with to apply the filling! icon_biggrin.gif

This is why she's nuts for asking you. Isn't she worried about the temptation you'd face? icon_razz.gif

At least the order has plenty of cop-outs built into it, though. You can nicely point out how difficult it is to travel with cake.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:31am
post #23 of 47

I have an ex and he and his wife are like that. But knowing I am one that can't say no I have done SO MUCH for them. I loaned them two of my cars, they got thrown out of their house and my husband and I let them move in with us for a few weeks while we helped get them another house, we have loaned them money, and even gave both of them a job (only for them to go where I work part time and tell them that we screwed them out of money).

The moral of this is....DON"T DO IT! I don't care if she gets mad...JUST DON"T DO IT! You will regret it. The madness of you saying no is going to cause less problems for you than her saying you overcharged her or the cake was poorly constructed (after that long hot drive), or it tasted bad (after it has sit in a hot car for lord knows how long.

Take it from the Doormat of all Doormats here...DON"T DO IT!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:08am
post #24 of 47

Wow...ok after reading all the posts on this (ex-lax being my personal favorite) the question to ask yourself is this....

If it were a complete stranger asking you to do the exact same thing would you do it? If yes then by all means bake the cake; if not then politely tell her that you are already booked and wont have the time.

Some times there is keeping the peace (in the same situation with hubby's ex) and at other times it is just plain out and out foolish to think that it is even possible (again with hubby's ex)...Koodo's to you for trying icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #25 of 47

lol... I like the lemon exlax...but then again..Is just a chocolate on chocolate what you need.
Edna icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:17am
post #26 of 47

When my ex remarried, he hired security guards to make sure I didn't do anything to them, stupid and expensive for him to do. I'm not sure why he thought I would try show up and embarrass myself and my kids who were there!

Not likely to ask me to bake a cake for them, but if they had, and I had, I sure would have loved to use the lemon Exlax!

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:23am
post #27 of 47

I don't have an ex -- but this is still funny!

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:24am
post #28 of 47

I don't have an ex -- but this is still funny!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:27am
post #29 of 47

I agree... take the fact that you know them out of the picture, and if you wold say no that's not possible then just say no that's not possible. Offer to help find her a decorator in the area if you are feeling super nice, but you don't own her anything.

I have made cakes for my ex's girlfriend... I see nothing wrong with it as we get along well (my ex and I). If he were to get re-married I would make his cake if he asked me to, but there is no animosity between us so that's different. A tasting for a 12 person wedding cake? Ummmm... no. I would tell her she could buy a sampler if she wanted to taste something.

jillmakescakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #30 of 47

Ok- so this was my response

While I appreciate you considering me to make you wedding cake, there are a few concerns that make me think it might be better for you to find a decorator closer to the venue. First, transporting a cake (especially if it is multiple tiers) can be tricky, and even more so when driving such a distance. While I'm sure you will have the AC on for most of the ride, if the sun is hitting the cake box for a while, it might affect the icing and the chocolates that the seashells are made from. Also, for only 12 guests, it will be hard to have more than one tier. I'm assuming you want more than one tier because all of the pics you sent had multiple tiers. If you'd like, I can check with some of the decorators that I know in Florida and see what kind of availability they have. I'd just need to know which town you will be closest to (I wasn't sure if you were staying in the park or not) and the date that you would actually need the cake.

Sound good?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%