Anyone Grow Raspberries?

Lounge By beachcakes Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm by -Tubbs

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 10

i've planted a vegetable garden the last few years. This year I ordered a few raspberry plants. Are they hard to grow? Any tips?

9 replies
SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 10

we have them growing wild out on the edges of our fields (farm). they are pretty old and grew by themselves so i'm pretty sure they must be tough little plants. i'd just make sure to grow them in the proper light and probably against a building or somewhere out of the way. they can get pretty big and have stickers on. good luck!

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 10

We have Red and Black Raspberry plant on our farm. They can be somewhat difficult to grow. But if you stick with them, they'll be fine. And, this may not be a problem for you, but I've had countless plants be run over with the lawnmower by my oblivious brother, so it's a good idea to put a little fence or something around each plant. I use those metal tomato racks. Here's a website I found that's straight and to-the-point. http://www.beginner-gardening.com/growing-raspberries.html

Hope that helped!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 10

My mother decided this year she wanted blueberry an raspberry plants. She bought like 8 blueberry plants, I told if they all lived she'd have a ton of blueberries. icon_razz.gif

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 10

Wow! I wish i had wild raspberries! I don't really have a green thumb, so if they spontaneously grew on the corner of my yard, I'd be thrilled! icon_smile.gif

DH's grandpa in Michigan has a large plot of raspberries that have been growing for 20 yrs or more & DS loved them so much, he begged me to try to grow them...

thanks bigsisof3kids for the link!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 10

I planted a small patch of raspberries a few years ago, and they seem to be thriving with little or no attention from me. Just make sure to keep it mowed around them because they will spread and spread and spread.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsisof3kids

We have Red and Black Raspberry plant on our farm. They can be somewhat difficult to grow. But if you stick with them, they'll be fine. And, this may not be a problem for you, but I've had countless plants be run over with the lawnmower by my oblivious brother, so it's a good idea to put a little fence or something around each plant. I use those metal tomato racks. Here's a website I found that's straight and to-the-point. http://www.beginner-gardening.com/growing-raspberries.html

Hope that helped!

Great site!

I am doing my first garden this year and that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 10

Glad it helped!

beachcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I planted a small patch of raspberries a few years ago, and they seem to be thriving with little or no attention from me. Just make sure to keep it mowed around them because they will spread and spread and spread.

Little or no attention from me would be great!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

Actually, I'd go further and suggest only planting them where they can be contained - a concrete path to one side would be ideal. Last summer I had to dig over a whole vegetable patch to get rid of the raspberries - they were suckering EVERYWHERE - from 3 plants 4 years before. Love having fresh raspberries though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%