Very Disappointed

Decorating By Briarview Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm by gloriadiaz

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:13am
post #1 of 24

I tried to purchase some goods from Global Sugar Art, only $US10 but was told that because I was international I had to buy $US100 which is the equilivant to about $200NZ which was a lot. Do other members outside the US have the same problem? They have so many great products and I was very disappointed.

23 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:28am
post #2 of 24

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. I have purchased few items from them last year, but I didn't have any problem like that. Maybe their rules and regulations have changed.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:34am
post #3 of 24

a lot of internation sites have rules like that. the way of life unfortunatly, means we have to make do with what we can gt in our own countries, which seems like its never as cool.
start making up a wish list, maybe see if you have any cake friends that want stuff, and you might hit that $100 sooner, but of course, that much stuff will then get a hefty shipping charge!
xx

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 24

We used to send all International customers a quote which involves picking the order, packing it, weighing and measuring the box then getting quotes from UPS and the postal service. Over 50% off all orders are then canceled because shipping was more than the price of the goods. For example, a one pound package shipped to New Zealand costs $30-$40 in shipping. You can easily see why we do not accept a $10.00 order.

However, if a customer is willing to pay the postage for an order under $100.00, we are more than happy to ship it. Please place a note in the comments box when placing your order that you would like the product despite the order being less than $100.00.

Here is a link to our page on international ordering http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=22

We do charge all international customers, except Canadians, a $10.00 fee to process their order and fill out all the required customs paperwork. International orders require a great deal of time to process.

As stated earlier, we are always willing to ship if you are willing to pay the shipping costs for a small order. Alan

Briarview Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks Alan, I guess I will have to wait until the funky lower case cutters arrive in NZ or wait until there is someone over there who maybe able to bring it back but I always think if everyone asked them to bring something back there would be a ton of excess luggage. Thanks for your reply

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 24

you can get them in the uk... www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk has them i think. but maybe shipping from the uk would work out cheaper?
xx

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 24

Why not get them from an Australian supplier? There are many many cake decorating stores in Australia and I don't know any that charge you that much extra for filling out a few custom forms. Postage to NZ is pretty cheap for airmail.

They are available in Australia. Have a look at this site to find a supplier.

http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/

I think Champagne Cakes in Perth has them.

Briarview Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks Sara91. I have tried to bring up that site and it does come up then my computer freezes. Does anyone else have this problem? I really really want to surf this site and I have registered which it accepted. No problem with any other websites.

sara91 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:40am
post #9 of 24

Australian Suppliers from the cakes and more page, just google them and you will find the site.

* AFS Boxworks
* Bakery Sugarcraft
* Blossom Sugarart
* Cake and Icing Centre
* Cake Art Supplies
* Cake Deco.
* Cake Decorating Central
* Cake Ornament
* Cake Tinz n Thingz
* Cakes Around Town
* Carolines Sugar Art Services
* Caterers Warehouse
* Champagne Cakes
* Choc Art
* Clay Princess
* Clear Pak
* Complete Cake Decorating Supplies
* Cook Shop Plus
* Cupcake Savvy
* Cupids Cake Decoratings
* Cupids-Delight
* Dijon Foods
* Earl Craft n Cake
* Everton
* Floral Art and Sugar Craft
* Greensborough Cake Decorating Centre
* Groovy Chocolate
* Henfresh
* Home Couture
* Iced Affair
* Kitchen Discounts
* Kitchenware Online
* Major Cake Decorating Supplies
* Maria George
* My Delicious Cakes
* Peters of Kensington
* Plasbox Manufacturing
* Sugar Smith
* Sugarcraft by Rosie
* The Cupcake Courier
* The Sandpaper Man
* USA Foods
* Victorias Basement
* Wests Cake Decorations

Briarview Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:45am
post #10 of 24

Thank you so much Sara91. Will have fun looking at all the sites.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 24

just a thought, maybe there are more that would also like to order but can not for the same reason. how bout a neighborhood order. sharing the shipping wouldn't be so bad.

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarview

Thanks Sara91. I have tried to bring up that site and it does come up then my computer freezes. Does anyone else have this problem? I really really want to surf this site and I have registered which it accepted. No problem with any other websites.

I have this problem with this site as well. It only started when they changed over to the blog format recently.
Then I discovered Cake Central!

sara91 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:47am
post #13 of 24

I was dissapointed when they closed the forum, it was very interesting.

icon_sad.gif

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:59am
post #14 of 24

sara91, many thanks for your list of Australian suppliers.
It is greatly appreciated.
A few of them I already know & use but most I have not heard of.
The list will keep me busy for a while, checking them all out!

Wonderchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wonderchic Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 24

Does GSA still not allow Debit Cards as a form of payment? I'd sure like to order from them but don't own a Credit Card! icon_cry.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 24

Wonderchic: your debit card most likely has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it and therefore can be used like a credit card (no pin # needed). I use my debit card to buy from GSA all the time, I don't have any credit cards.

Hope this helps!

Wonderchic Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 24

Kimmers - Thanks!
thumbs_up.gif
I understand the whole credit/debit thing but I just remembered reading somewhere that they did NOT accept debit cards, only credit cards. So I was like...hmmpf! But if it works for someone else, hoorah!

Thank you for clearing that up! icon_biggrin.gif

AlanT Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 24

We do accept debit cards if they have the Visa or MasterCard logo on them. We cannot accept a debit card that requires a PIN number to be entered. Alan

Wonderchic Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 24

AWESOME! Thanks to Alan too! I'll be there next time I need to purchase online! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

gloriadiaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloriadiaz Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarview

I tried to purchase some goods from , only $US10 but was told that because I was international I had to buy $US100 which is the equilivant to about $200NZ which was a lot. Do other members outside the US have the same problem? They have so many great products and I was very disappointed.

I know this thread started way before I joined but I have the same problem as Briarview.We just moved to Valdivia- CHILE and to get things from the States is an ordeal plus the shipping costs are getting out of control as everything else, however we get things from Ebay at reasonable shipping cost even though it takes longer to get here.For us living abroad the "conditions" are more complicated as you are able to read as follows...
[All orders outside of the US and Canada must be over $100.00 in merchandise.

We now require all international customers to fax us a copy of the front and back of their credit card along with the top portion of their credit card statement showing the name, account number and billing address. Order will only be shipped to the billing address of the credit card.]
You would think that things would ease off since the economy it is not what it used to be.
So what's left for us to do? icon_mad.gif Here in Chile there is a tremendous lack of items for cake decorating and no one is taking advantage of it.

AlanT Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #21 of 24

GloriaDiaz,

As I stated in an earlier posting, we will ship any size order to our international customers as long as they are willing to accept the shipping charges. We find that most small orders cost as much to ship as the cost of the product. It only becomes feasible to ship international orders when the purchase total is over $100.00.
We do require verification of your credit card and address. There is a tremendous about of credit card fraud and we must protect ourselves from scams. Unfortunately, only US credit cards can automatically be verified by our computer systems. All international cards must be verified by faxing us copies of the requested items.

gloriadiaz Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT

Unfortunately, only US credit cards can automatically be verified by our computer systems. All international cards must be verified by faxing us copies of the requested items.

Thank you for answering.Now, when someone places an order from overseas do you send the customer an estimate of how much the shipping would cost or it is charged inmediately to the cc?

AlanT Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #23 of 24

We never charge an international customer until they accept our shipping quote via email. All this information is located on our website here- [www.globalsugarart.com/?id=22

gloriadiaz Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT

We never charge an international customer until they accept our shipping quote via email. All this information is located on our website here- [www.globalsugarart.com/?id=22

I kindly thank you for pointing out to me.I failed to read the rest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%