Cake Storage?

Decorating By BigRed500 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 4:17am by BigRed500

BigRed500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigRed500 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 8

Hi All!

I'm about to attempt my first stacked cake, an R2D2 for my nephew's birthday. The party is on Thursday. I've already baked the cakes and frozen them. Is it okay to fill them, assemble the cake, do a crumb coat on Tuesday and store it in the fridge overnight and then decorate on Wednesday? It will be done in buttercream. I'm a little nervous about assembling the cake and have limited time to put the cake together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lisa

7 replies
JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 8

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say Hi! I'm in BC too!

BigRed500 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 8

Hello!

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 8

I think that would be ok, just wrap it in plastic wrap after you crumb coat it. Just make sure it's completely thawed before you do any decorating.

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 8

Yes, you can do that, I have done it a number of times. As mentioned after you get it crumb coated put in the fridge and let it set for 10 minutes or so then put saran wrap over it (that way it won't stick to your icing) and make sure to tuck in at the bottom.
Karon

BigRed500 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 8

Thank you both very much for your replies. I was crossing my fingers it would be okay!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #7 of 8

Hi! I actually do that with all of my cakes. I am a stay at home mom, so I like to divide up the steps so I am not in the kitchen all day with my daughter playing by herself! It will be perfectly fine. Since it's r2d2, I assume you are carving the cake. Freezing it first makes it SO much easier to carve! You can crumb coat while it's still frozen, or chilly. It won't have a negative affect. Just don't decorate the final outer layer when it's frozen, as it could ruin the consistency! Good luck, and please post pics when you are done!

BigRed500 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:17am
post #8 of 8

Thanks pipe-dreams! I'm nervous about this cake, but looking forward to it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%