This Made Me Think Of Everyone Here...

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm by CristyInMiami

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 38

Part of the email I received today for a fondant cake for 125 people

"Please get back to me as soon as possible because she wants to have a nice cake but its just that she doesnt wanna pay an arm and a leg for it."

icon_confused.gif

She's going to be in for a rude awakening. I feel like they write this so that you say, oh well maybe I should give them a cheaper price, with the economy and all the way it is! thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gif

37 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 38

tell her it will only cost 1 arm, no leg,

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 38

that's funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 38

ugh, as my dad would say "champagne taste on a beer budget" icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 38

Blah! Where is the emoticon that is sticking out his tongue and flipping the bird at the same time??? icon_biggrin.gif

CristyInMiami Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 38

LMAO @ one arm, no leg!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

I kept thinking of everyone who always says "tell them to go to walmart then"!!

I really wanted to say it too!!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 38

Tell her to go to Costco....only costs a finger

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 38

pouchet82, 1 finger, lol, even funnier than my 1 arm no leg

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristyInMiami

Part of the email I received today for a fondant cake for 125 people

"Please get back to me as soon as possible because she wants to have a nice cake but its just that she doesnt wanna pay an arm and a leg for it."

icon_confused.gif

She's going to be in for a rude awakening. I feel like they write this so that you say, oh well maybe I should give them a cheaper price, with the economy and all the way it is! thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gif

I just don't think they get how much it costs for those of us who do not get wholesale ingredients/supplies.

I just charged $350 for a wedding cake this weekend and I spent at least $90 on supplies/ingredients. Then, since I didn't have two of the pan sizes yet, I needed to get those. Then, I had never worked much with any of this, so I bought DVDs for teaching me some more skills. In the end, I think I 'earned" about $50 on this cake.

I think people forget that when you are paying for a cake, you SHOULD also be paying for: education, supplies, ingredients as well as LABOR. I think most home bakers TOTALLY don't figure in the costs they've sunk into mixers, pans, tools, etc.

I guess for me, I only do this for fun, but it's not very fun when it destroys my kitchen, takes away HOURS and what do I get from it? Not much except for some satisfaction that I can do it!

CristyInMiami Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

I just don't think they get how much it costs for those of us who do not get wholesale ingredients/supplies.

I just charged $350 for a wedding cake this weekend and I spent at least $90 on supplies/ingredients. Then, since I didn't have two of the pan sizes yet, I needed to get those. Then, I had never worked much with any of this, so I bought DVDs for teaching me some more skills. In the end, I think I 'earned" about $50 on this cake.

I think people forget that when you are paying for a cake, you SHOULD also be paying for: education, supplies, ingredients as well as LABOR. I think most home bakers TOTALLY don't figure in the costs they've sunk into mixers, pans, tools, etc.

I guess for me, I only do this for fun, but it's not very fun when it destroys my kitchen, takes away HOURS and what do I get from it? Not much except for some satisfaction that I can do it!

Plus then,at least for me, the cleaning up is another story! It takes me a long time to clean everything,wipe everything down, and put everything back in its place. Thats a job itself!!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 38

I can't stand it when people want a designer cake at a TJ Maxx price. And then when you factor in all the time spent baking and decorating a cake, it's not like you are coming out with so much money!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 38

Tell me about the cleaning - I spent two days making that cake. Day one was making the flowers and baking and making icing and torting, filling and icing the cakes. Day two was rolling the fodant, putting the flowers together, getting the fondant on and smoothing it then decorating partway. Delivery, then stacking and putting on the final touches. THen, I came home to the mess which took me two hours to clean up and put away.

Oh, of course, since I was busy Friday night and exhausted and unable to find my kitchen, we ordered pizza for dinner - another expense.

I'm not complaining as I wanted to do it and I loved making the cake, but... there's no real profit in it for most of us. If I were to try to make 2 wedding level cakes a week, I would burn out fast I think... not with kids at home at least. My hats are off to all you big time bakers!

CristyInMiami Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:

Oh, of course, since I was busy Friday night and exhausted and unable to find my kitchen, we ordered pizza for dinner - another expense.

icon_eek.gif OMG icon_eek.gif - I have never thought of that. I always make my husband buy lunch on my busy baking days and then I buy dinner for me (he works nights)!!

Yeah, definitely no discounts. My cakes are fairly priced for my area.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 38

I just think its rude of someone to say that in an e-mail. Do you know them? Because if not its insulting, are they asking you because they think you're cheap or because you'll feel like giving them a discount for saying they dont want to pay an arm and a leg????

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

Plus then,at least for me, the cleaning up is another story! It takes me a long time to clean everything,wipe everything down, and put everything back in its place. Thats a job itself!!

If I did not have a dishwasher...I would faint dead away. The cleaning job is a bear!

I get 2 kinds of people...those that think I charge too much and they can't afford it but REALLY want it. OR, I get those that say I don't charge enough and that I deserve so much more. Grrr.

I have had one person that says ok, and just writes me a check for every cake I do for her...I just love her.

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

I can't stand it when people want a designer cake at a TJ Maxx price. And then when you factor in all the time spent baking and decorating a cake, it's not like you are coming out with so much money!

It's more like dollar store prices! like someone else suggested, let her go to walmart.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:51pm
post #17 of 38

Everybody is paying an "arm and a leg" for everything we need these days, why should it be different for a cake?

That is insulting, they put you in an unfriendly frame of mind at the get go! Seems like saying thanks, but no thanks would be a good response. They will probably never be satisfied, no matter what you do!

CristyInMiami Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulosity

Quote:

Quote:

If I did not have a dishwasher...I would faint dead away. The cleaning job is a bear!

I get 2 kinds of people...those that think I charge too much and they can't afford it but REALLY want it. OR, I get those that say I don't charge enough and that I deserve so much more. Grrr.

I have had one person that says ok, and just writes me a check for every cake I do for her...I just love her.

I dont have a dishwasher and it sucks!!!

I usually just give out a price and if its good then they order. If not they just don't place the order.

I did however have this one lady order a cake and I told her it was $210. She asked if I can leave it at $200. STupid me to not lose $200 told her ok. SHe then pulls up in her BMW SUV, ironed out nails, fresh mani and pedi, designer everything and she was stingy with $10?!?! I was beyond pissed!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulosity

OR, I get those that say I don't charge enough and that I deserve so much more. Grrr.

icon_eek.gif
I demand to know who these people are and why they don't live near me!!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #20 of 38

It's not a problem, just refer her to our dear friends at costco

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #21 of 38

CristyInMiami said
"I did however have this one lady order a cake and I told her it was $210. She asked if I can leave it at $200. STupid me to not lose $200 told her ok. SHe then pulls up in her BMW SUV, ironed out nails, fresh mani and pedi, designer everything and she was stingy with $10?!?! I was beyond pissed!"

You should have asked her what $10 worth of supplies she wanted you to leave out of her cake... the fillings, the flavorings, icing colors perhaps? How about the cake board and box? I mean, maybe you could cut her cost by decorating her cake on a piece of old cardboard and putting it in a toilet paper box you got from the Dollar Store dumpster. icon_twisted.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #22 of 38

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Juleebug,I'm sure you are just venting and would not say that to a customer whatever the case might be. Anyway I feel you but its all just in a day's work, there are worse customers out there, we just have to keep cool, be firm and stand by whatever prices our cakes are fair for.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesncookies

tell her it will only cost 1 arm, no leg,

LOL, LOL, LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif this is good I love it!! I don't sell cakes so, how can I incorporate that on my cake making?? ha,ha!!!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 38
Quote:

OMG ladies, I'm laughing here at my deks like crazy icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CristyInMiami Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #25 of 38

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif
How many of you have actually given a smart a** answer like that to one of your customers? What has been their reaction?

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #26 of 38
Quote:

I just want to know which finger you give them icon_lol.gif

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #27 of 38

When my teens are giving me a list of there wants, I tell them, "and I want bigger boobs and thinner thighs, but that ain't happenen' either"

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Quote:

I just want to know which finger you give them icon_lol.gif

ZING! icon_lol.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #29 of 38

I always try & be fair, but if I give a price & the customer does not like it then I am quite happy not to get the business because I know I am not asking too much. I love cake decorating, it is one of my great pleasures to make things & do something special & I do a lot of cakes for free because I want to give them as a gift, but if someone orders a cake then I charge what I think it is worth...take it or leave it.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Juleebug,I'm sure you are just venting and would not say that to a customer whatever the case might be. Anyway I feel you but its all just in a day's work, there are worse customers out there, we just have to keep cool, be firm and stand by whatever prices our cakes are fair for.

No Tee-Y, I've never actually said anything like that no matter how ridiculous the request is. I am a firm believer in what it says in your signature.

I do my best to be a good girl... like with the woman who wanted a Noah's Ark shower cake to feed 20 for $20. I simply said, "Honey, you can't even buy a cake to feed 20 for $20 at the grocery store." I "stood firm," like you said, and she got her cake somewhere else.

Her loss... because I make really good cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%