Question About Michele Fosters 2 Fondant Recipes

Decorating By iheartcookies Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm by cakesthatrock

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 31

I had saved Michele Fosters delicious fondant recipe to make
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html
but then saw the updated version http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

My question is about the gelatin amounts- the 'delicious' recipe calls for 3 packets of gelatin but notes that it is 6TSP, the updated is 3TBSPs . Is one wrong or is the amount in the updated one just changed (updated)? I am hoping that is right since I made it last night using that recipe....

30 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 31

I made the updated recipe with 3 packets and it's wonderful.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 31

That's interesting! I made Michele Foster's fondant, for the first time, on Wednesday with 3 TBL and yesterday tried to knead it with no success. It had no stretch at all, just broke as pulled on it. I thought it was the weather. I just got back from the grocery store with more ingredients and was going to add less powdered sugar and less glycerin. I think I'll try the 3 packets of gelatin, instead. Thanks for the heads up! icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 31

Let us know how it goes, I've always used 3 packets and have yet to have a bad batch... check out her FAQ though to see if yours can be salavged.

http://www.thesugarfixtoo.com/fondant.html

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 31

I had not seen the updated version of this recipie until after I made my first batch last week. I used the 3 tsp version. It tasted fine but it was absolutely horrible to work with. I ended up using a batch of MMF that I had on hand. Then like two days later I see the updated version and it has 3 Tbsp. big difference there. I haven't made the new version yet so I don't know how well it works. I think it may work better. Everyone else says it is wonderful.(tastewise i know it is) Let me know how it works.

underthesun Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 31

Wednesday I used the 3tbl and it turned into a rubber ball. Today I am using 3 packets as suggested by chilz822. I have the liquids melted and cooling. The cream and gelatin looks totally different than the other day. I'll let everyone know later how it turns out.

Also, I checked FAQ and decided to try to salvage the MFF rubber ball. I've been kneading for an hour. Finally finished. Since my cake is just an experiment to be given to my family, I am going to try to use it, although, I don't know how smooth the fondant will be. If you can't test things on the kids, what's the point? And they love all the testing I'm willing to give them. Someone let me know if there's any chance of poisoning them with all that glycerin. icon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 31

She has posted a new section on her website with FAQ's for her fondant. I remember reading that the gelatin must be measured accurately and there isn't always the exact same amount in the packages. Here's the link:

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 31

Oh duh, I was sure I didn't see that posted already!! I'm losing my mind........

iheartcookies Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

She has posted a new section on her website with FAQ's for her fondant. I remember reading that the gelatin must be measured accurately and there isn't always the exact same amount in the packages. Here's the link:

I read that whole thing but the question is- measured to what? 3 tablespoons or 6 teaspoons?

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 31

I used 3 packets and also a lot less sugar-came out like a dream.

underthesun Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 31

When you say a lot less sugar, any idea how much. I'm about to add the liquid mixture to the sugar now. I've got 2lbs of sugar in my bowl right now. I've only made one other fondant recipe, so I dont have enough experience to really be a good judge. Can you guestimate? [/quote]

chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 31

The exact amount of sugar you need depends on a few thing like humitidy in your area and how warm your mixture was when you put it in the sugar. Typically I'll start with the full bag in the bowl, then after it's mixed, add more, 1/2 cup at the time until the dough starts hanging onto the hook (not forming a dough ball, but it's not running down the hook anymore). Afetr that, I turn it out onto a powdered sugar surface and just start kneading more in. You want to keep adding until it's no longer sticky. it's a workout! The first couple times I made fondant, my shoulders were actually sore the next morning! icon_biggrin.gif

It usually winds up taking me about 1 1/2 bags give or take.. and I wouldn't add gumpaste until you're using it for modeling things that likely won't get eaten.

underthesun Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 31

You're great! I'll give it a try. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

iheartcookies Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 31

ok, I made the one with 3 TBSP and it seems fine. I have never made it before so I am not sure what it is supposed to be like but I really like this! It is easy to work with- rolled out really well.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #15 of 31

isn't 3 tbsp = 6 tsp? no?

i've never tried the updated version, but had used the old recipe by MF, and they were good.

the old one called for 6 tsp right? (i've updated my recipe box with the updated version, and had lost the old recipe, so i'm curious to know what was the old recipe's measurement for gelatine, as it has worked well for me).

iheartcookies Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

isn't 3 tbsp = 6 tsp? no?

i've never tried the updated version, but had used the old recipe by MF, and they were good.

the old one called for 6 tsp right? (i've updated my recipe box with the updated version, and had lost the old recipe, so i'm curious to know what was the old recipe's measurement for gelatine, as it has worked well for me).

there are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon so 3 TBSP would be 9 Tsp. the old one called for 6 tsps

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #17 of 31

I would definitely go with the 6 tsp one. It could've been a typo? The 6 tsp one have always worked for me. If you put more gelatin it will get harder icon_sad.gif

underthesun Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #18 of 31

I believe 3Tbl = 9tsp. Either way, I used 3 packages this time and OMG what a difference this morning!! I never could salvage yesterdays, but this morning I now have a 3 layer 10" tier with fondant applied. YEAH! You can't imagine how I am celebrating!! party.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #19 of 31

ooo... I have both recipes saved and have always used the three pkgs. of gelatin. I have to believe the updated version is a typo! That's a lot of difference in gelatin. I saved the updated version for her notes at the bottom only and would say that it's better to go with the tried and true first recipe.

chilz822 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #20 of 31

underthesun, HIGH FIVE!
icon_biggrin.gif

underthesun Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #21 of 31

thanks for the High Five! I now have all three tiers of my whimsical cake assembled and am now starting to decorate. The fondant seems a little dry from rolling out on powdered sugar. Next time I'll might try corn startch or probably just need practice. Thanks so much for your help and everyone elses help!! icon_biggrin.gif

iheartcookies Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #22 of 31

just to let you know, I PM'd michele about it and she was nice enough to answer- she uses the 3 TBSP. That is the one I made and it worked like a charm!

iheartcookies Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #23 of 31

just to let you know, I PM'd michele about it and she was nice enough to answer- she uses the 3 TBSP. That is the one I made and it worked like a charm!

chilz822 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #24 of 31

underthesun, corn starch will dry it out more. I rub my counter down with shortening then toss some powdered sugar on (keeping it under the fondant) and it's fine...

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #25 of 31
jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:09am
post #26 of 31

I just checked the link to her website (thanks!) and she must have just realized there was a mistake in the recipe (probably thanks to the PM?) because there she's apologized for the mistake and corrected it to 2 TBSP in bright red letters.

Just FYI!

Now what I want to know is if anybody has ever tried substituting the corn syrup? I can't get corn syrup in Germany and made my own sugar syrup (found a recipe online somewhere). I then tried MFF (twice) and wasn't nearly as impressed as I expected/hoped to be. Not having ever worked with store-bought fondant (only MMF), I'm not sure if the consistency was off (whether due to my substitution or too much/little PS) or if it's just that different to work with than MMF.

Has anybody else ever tried substituting the corn syrup?

Thanks!

jenny

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:09am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

Now what I want to know is if anybody has ever tried substituting the corn syrup? I can't get corn syrup in Germany and made my own sugar syrup (found a recipe online somewhere). I then tried MFF (twice) and wasn't nearly as impressed as I expected/hoped to be. Not having ever worked with store-bought fondant (only MMF), I'm not sure if the consistency was off (whether due to my substitution or too much/little PS) or if it's just that different to work with than MMF.

Has anybody else ever tried substituting the corn syrup?

Thanks!

jenny

yes i have! i subbed corn syrup with glucose (having searched online & found out we can sub with glucose as both are derived from the same source which is corn).
however, i believe glucose is thicker than corn syrup. my MFF turned ut well.

edited to correct typo.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:54am
post #28 of 31

mclaren,

thanks - it's good for me to hear that! I must just have to get used to the slightly different consistency of real fondant (as opposed to MMF).

I may have to give it another shot (or two or three!)

jenny

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #29 of 31

There are three tsp. per tbsp., so 6 tsp. is 2 tbsp.

I haven't tried the new version either. I always use the old one, but substitute water and crisco for the milk and butter, and it comes out wonderful.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #30 of 31

OOPS! I didn't see the second page and I accidentally answered the last question on the first page. That's what I get for trying to talk so early in the morning!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%