Fondant,,, Does It Actually Taste Good?

Decorating By inabottle Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 3:39am by terrylee

inabottle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inabottle Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:36am
post #1 of 16

icon_confused.gif i have been told by many people that fondant actually does not taste good, so i have always refused to use it. ive always used buttercream, for fear that the fondant was not enjoyable, and i have always prided myself on pretty as well as good tasting cakes, but i love the look of fondant cakes. any opinions, comments, or suggestions???[/i]

15 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:44am
post #2 of 16

Hi there, first, welcome to CC. From all the posts I have read, don't use the Wilton fondant. It tastes horrible.

If you want to find a ready to use Fondant from shops, buy a few and taste. Because everyone's likings and tastes are different.

The next thing you can do is to make some by yourself. There's Marshmellow Fondant (MMF), which I don't like, because its too sweet for me. Here is the link for the recipe,

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

Then the other one, which is Michele Foster's fondant (MFF), which the best homemade fondant I ever tasted! And here is the link for the recipe,

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:34am
post #3 of 16

I'm in total agreement with Bashini.. Wilton brand fondant is gross, but there are varieties out there that are really good. Satin Ice is liked by many, but it's not my favorite. Fondex is good too. Massa is probably the best to work with but it's pricier than other brands.

I would suggest getting a 2 lb tub of a commercial fondant so you know what it's supposed to feel like and then make some. I love Michele's recipe posted above. I use it on most of my cakes. icon_smile.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:11am
post #4 of 16

I use Choco-pan to cover cakes, it's a fondant made with chocolate. The taste is pretty good. But it can be difficult to work with on warmer days.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 16

For me I think FondX tastes the BEST. Sooooo goood. I think Satin Ice has a playdough like smell and taste. I agree that you need to get small tubs of each brand and do your own taste test.

Good luck.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 16

Make Michele's and add 6oz of white chocolate to the cooking process. Experiment with different liquids for differnt flavors. I used white chocolate with French Vanilla coffee creamer and it's yummy!

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 16

Would it matter what kind of gelatin I use for Michele's Fondant recipe? Since I'm vegetarian, I have to use a gelatin that's not as strong as the original kind. I'm wondering if it would hold this fondant.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 16

I have not yet heard of a successful alternative. Michele addresses the use of a substitution for vegans in her website FAQ, here's the link:

http://www.thesugarfixtoo.com/fondant.html

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks Chilz, thats a great help.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 16

I agree with all the brands/recipes everyone has mentioned -- Wilton is pretty yucky but there are some decent tasting fondants out there. I usually do the MMF and it has a sweet, candy-like taste. Even when you have a great tasting fondant, I think for some people it's a texture issue more than a taste issue. Some people just aren't used to something a little more 'chewy' on cake. I mostly do cakes for small events and friends/family members, so I usually tell them they can try it if they want to, but more often than not I just tell them not to even bother eating it! I just like working with it and think it makes a pretty cake.

~Sarah

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 16

I've found that adding 1 Tbsp. of lemon jucie to the MMF (after you melt the marshmallows before you add the sugar) makes a huge difference. It really cuts down on the sweetness and then you can add some extract to it to help get a better flavor (a little almond extract is yummy.)

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #12 of 16

The first time I brought a fondant covered cake to a family birthday party there were 23 (out of 25) plates with the fondant left on them! That was with Wilton fondant. Now I use Satin Ice and there is only one or two family members that won't try it, the rest eat it, and the kids fight over the extra pieces (like the borders and decorations!). I think it is an acquired taste. Maybe you could ease into by just doing fondant accents!

Oh yeah - I've heard that Satin Ice has sample packets of their fondant available. I think you have to contact them directly.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:19am
post #13 of 16

Good fondant tastes good. Bad fondant (Wilton) tastes horrid.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #14 of 16

I don't like eating it at all. But I like making cakes with it. I'm a plain jane when it comes to eating cakes whip cream for me or maybe even bc. And that's that I use mmf.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #15 of 16

you know every time I read a post about how fondant tastes. I have never found a soul that likes wilton. You would think after all the bad remarks Wilton would work on changing there recipe. I think they take enough pride in their cakes and designs and equipment. That they would at least want a fondant that would stand out like the rest of their products.

I bet when they decorate for the yearbook the use another brand and we don't know it. hahaha.

I love to nibble on Satin Ice vanillla and I have to hide the Satin Ice chocolate from my kids. can't keep them out of it.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #16 of 16

There are a lot of home made fondant that tastes incredible......but if you don't have the time or care to make your own....Satin Ice in very good all by its self.... You can always add a bit more vanilla or almond flavors to enhance a flavor.....Wilton......no no no.....only for modeling, practice or dummy cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%