Diabetic Cake

Decorating By ailika Updated 6 May 2009 , 4:03pm by pinktea

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, I need help. I have to bake red velvet cupcakes/cake for my daughter's bday she's a diabetic. I don't know which sugar to use or how much of it to use and would like to know if there will be a difference in taste since others will be eating these too. (for about 30 cupcakes or a 10' round cake)

Thanks all icon_redface.gif

7 replies
MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 8

I made a cake for my future MIL last summer that was sugar-free. I took a regular cake recipe that I found (it also had to be dairy free) and just substituted Splenda for baking (or Baker's blend, I don't remember the exact title) based on the chart on their package. Everyone who had it loved it and couldn't even tell that it was dairy and sugar free. If your daughter can have Splenda, then that might be a good option.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 8

Whew!!! I am so happy to see your post. I have been frantically searching the web for a good "diabetic" recipe. Most recipes are for a fruit or vegetable cake such as Carrot Cake.

I am looking for good recipe for a Red Velvet , Pound Cake or a specialty type cake. Sugarshack's sister did a beautiful chocolate- strawberry cake on Sugarshack's blog. She used Splenda but she said , it did not allow the layers to rise very much.

I found a sugar subsitute called "Whey Low" , that is not supposed to have any after taste and bakes up normally . It comes in Granular and powder for frosting but I have not tried it yet. Bit pricey ( 6.99 for 2lbs) but online orders carry a money back guarantee .

www.wheylow.com

Suziebee1126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suziebee1126 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 8

I tried the wheylow website but a 2lb order was $10.99 PLUS $6.99 shipping! Anyone tried Splenda for icing?

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:32am
post #5 of 8

'Anyone tried Splenda for icing?'

yes, and and it failed-big time. Now if I were to try it again I would put it in the food processor for a longer period of time and add some corn starch to help it not clump. Other then that I've not really found a recipe yet that cuts out all ps, but you could mix the ps and splenda in the food processor....that could work.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:32am
post #6 of 8

My DH and I are both diabetic and I have made a couple of cakes with Splenda for baking. But not a red velvet. Just remember - Splenda for Baking is a mixture of sugar and splenda. It is not sugar free. I am looking at my bag now, and 1/2 tsp has 2g of sugar.

I made a carrot cake a couple of weeks ago and used Splenda for Baking instead of the sugar (if the recipe calls for 2 c of sugar - you use 1 c of Splenda for Baking) and I used no sugar added applesauce instead of oil. The cake didn't rise quite as much as with the regular recipe, but it was very acceptable.

pinktea Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 8

It seems Whey Low has coupons for 15% off , however it is hidden under their newsletter page. I am going to order some this week and bake with it.

I will post my results.

pinktea Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 8

Ok , as promised, I ordered the Whey Low. This is the best tasting sugar subsitute I have ever tasted. It doesn't have the after taste like other sweetners. It is more finely granulated than regular sugar .

Now as far as baking , NO. I baked a Lemon Pound cake, one that I have had wonderful results in the past. It was a dud. The recipe called for meringue stiffly beaten with sugar added and cream of tatar . The meringue beat up perfectly but began to shrink as it sat. The cake did not have much rise to it and did not brown. Taste great though .

Whey Low would probably be great in coffee , tea or sweetner for cereal but not for baking. Sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%