My Bettercreme Is Being Delivered Tomorrow!!

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm by mellee

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 19

I heard from my restauranteer (is that a word?) brother yesterday and my Bettercreme will be on the truck tomorrow!!! I am pumped, but now I have to decide where to start. If you had to choose one BC recipe ... what would it be?

Thanks!
Martha

18 replies
Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 19

Martha-have not used Bettercreme...would like to know how it goes.

mbt4955 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 19

Hi Dizzymaiden,

I have all of the ideas printed and saved from Gourmet Flavors and Bettercreme Fun, but I'm trying to take the easy way out. I will definitely let you know how it goes! thumbs_up.gif

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 19

i am in the same boat as pp.

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 19

Who did you order your Bettercreme from and can any one order it? I cannot get bettercreme here but would love to try it. I tried the Wilton Whip Cream mix, not sure if that is like bettercreme or not. I too have been following the gourmet cake flavors thead and have tried a couple of the recipes and they were delicious but I had to use cool whip for the bettercreme filling. I know you can get bettercreme from Sams Club but the Sams club we have here does not have a bakery in it. Just my luck. Any suggestions on ordering bettercreme?

Thanks

mbt4955 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

Who did you order your Bettercreme from and can any one order it?

My little brother owns restaurants and they use Ben E. Keith Restaurant Supply. He made a call and then made my year! I can get chocolate too, but figure I will start with one case!!

I think that Ben E. Keith probably only services wholesale customers, but maybe you can find someone to order it for you. I heard from another CC'er in Texas who uses Ben E. Keith and she can't get the Bettercreme. Go figure ... I have the product number if you find someone who will order it.

I also read somewhere on here that a grocery store agreed to order it for someone as long as they took the whole case. It is only 12 quarts though ...

Good luck, Melissa. If you have any questions that I can answer, please let me know.

Martha

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks Martha, I will check with some local grocery stores to see if they will order some for me. Good luck on your new bettercreme recipes.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 19

Mmmm, I love bettercreme! I am glad you found some!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:37am
post #9 of 19

Is Bettercreme the stuff sold in the milk carton in the freezer section?

Is it different from Sam's 5 gallon tubs of But-r-cream? thx

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Is Bettercreme the stuff sold in the milk carton in the freezer section?

Exactly correct. It isn't available here, so I have had quite a job finding a source.

Bettercreme is also available at Sam's, but you have to request it from the Bakery and it is sold prewhipped and frozen in a large quantity. I haven't bought it, but have heard that you can break it down into smaller containers and keep it in your freezer for up to a year.

But-r-cream is completely different - also at Sam's in large quantities. It is their version of buttercream, but without butter (hence the name But-r). icon_lol.gif There are CC'ers who swear by this icing, but I haven't used it. Probably won't because I really like my own buttercream.

Martha

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 19

My favorite is making Chocolate cupcakes, take some of the reeses pb topping, mix it in with the bc while its whipping, and top the cupcakes and put a piece of reese's candy on top. YUM!!!!

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks, chassidyg. Do you use ice cream topping or one that is made to be mixed with milk? Do you measure or just put it in -- any idea how much you end up using? I'm headed to the store in a few minutes, so I will pick some up. I know I saw some with the ice cream toppings. I was looking for Mel's chocolate malt - which I did NOT find.

I'm hoping to give it a try today with one of my "oops cakes" out of the freezer. icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 19

its an orange bottle by ice cream toppings, and I just measure to taste,

I'll get you Mels recipe, it's really good! It's in the cupcake link under fiddlesticks signature.

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks! I have the cupcake google page in my bookmarks at work, but not on my home computer.

Martha

chassidyg Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 19

here you are

Melvira's Malted Cuppies

Contributed by Melvira

I guess my recipe is kind of lame, it's just a doctored mix, but since I introduced a lot of you to the evil powers of Whoppers Syrup, I suppose we could add it to the file. I hadn't even realized it wasn't there until a couple people were asking which one was mine... then I looked and realized it was neither! I don't want anyone to think I am taking credit for their recipes, so we'll put my lame one in there! Hehehe.

Malted Cuppies Take Over Earth!!

1 Devil's Food Cake mix
1 pkg Devil's Food Jell-O pudding mix
1/4 c. Carnation malt powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1 Tablespoon Hershey's cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 1/8 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vanilla
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix all ingredients to moisten, then scrape sides of the bowl and beat on medium for 1 minute. (Batter will be THICK!) Scoop into cupcake liners or nut cups. Place in oven and immediately drop oven temp to 350 degrees. (If you bake in multiple batches, raise temp back to 400 between batches.) Bake for approximately 28 minutes, or until done. Yields 24-28 cupcakes.

Malted Filling

2 cups Bettercreme
1/2 cup Hersheys Whoppers Malt Syrup

POur both ingredients into mixing bowl, whip to semi-stiff peaks. Fill cooled cupcakes. Will fill 24-28 cupcakes.

Malted Ganache

1/3 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons malt powder or Hersheys Whoppers Malt Syrup
1 cup mini Nestle morsels

Heat whipping cream to boiling, add malt powder and stir to dissolve. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. (Strain if needed to insure smooth texture with no lumps.) Dip tops of filled cupcakes in ganache, allow to set, then decorate with leftover filling. Will cover 24-28 cupcakes depending on how thick you coat them. If you prefer, you can make additional filling and ice cupcakes with the Bettercreme instead of ganache.

This is a very simple 'doctored mix' recipe, but trust me... it gets LOTS of addicts banging on your door!

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks again, chassidyg. I found malt powder, but not Carnation. I'll bet it will work anyway. My biggest worry now is not knowing how long to whip the Bettercreme, but I'll get it figured out.

This was a great help. I'm off to HEB!

Martha

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #17 of 19

I bought some bettercreme, but I still haven't used it. Does it smooth ok? Do you put more than one coat on ? I just need to bust it out and play with it. =o)

mbt4955 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:50am
post #18 of 19

I haven't even tried mine yet. I'm working on gumpaste flowers for two weddings, so that has been my focus. Maybe in May ... icon_smile.gif Let me know how it works for you.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #19 of 19

OK. I admit it. I am so envious of you gals who can get Bettercreme. Years ago I lived in Buffalo, NY within walking distance of Rich's factory and outlet. I had no idea what I had. Now I live far away, and I can't get. I've found a couple of online sources, but theire delivery procedures are insane because of the "frozen" status, etc. But I can dream............can't I? Someday I'll walk right into a place and just purchase a carton of it. Oh.......joy....... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%