Smash Cake

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 4:15am by lindambc

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 14

I'm looking for ideas for a funky smash cake & a chocolate boyish smash cake. Anyone??

13 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #2 of 14

Exactly what is a smash cake? I have seen it mentioned a few times on the board.

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 14

Red~ It's a cake made for a baby (usually for the 1st bday party) for the specific purpose of being destroyed/smashed....as only a 1year old can do icon_smile.gif I'm approaching that here in 2months!! icon_smile.gif

OP~Sorry, but I do not know a answer to your question icon_sad.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 14

Ahhhh, that makes so much sense now. Thanks!

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

I'm looking for ideas for a funky smash cake & a chocolate boyish smash cake. Anyone??

is there a party theme? try to tie it in if there is. for example, the last smash cake i did was for a winnie the pooh party, so i did a honey pot as the smash cake. (photos at www.idreaminsugar.com, they may be on cc as well, can't remember).

otherwise you can just decorate it to match the main cake.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2owen1

Quote:

is there a party theme? try to tie it in if there is. for example, the last smash cake i did was for a winnie the pooh party, so i did a honey pot as the smash cake. (photos at www.idreaminsugar.com, they may be on cc as well, can't remember).

otherwise you can just decorate it to match the main cake.

First~ mom2owen1, I peaked at your website. Love your cakes. Your honey pot is adorable!

Second~lkoenig07, what about making the cake look like a hill or mound of dirt, put monster trucks on it or dinosaurs or animals. What does the birthday boy like? Sorry I can't help more.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #7 of 14

It may not necessarily be a great idea for a smash cake...but I made my nephew a softball sized cake ball...not so much messiness with the BC...but he ate it...it had to be cracked for him buthe liked it...ate the ears first as it was a monkey/bear...but I belive I have pics of it...

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

First~ mom2owen1, I peaked at your website. Love your cakes. Your honey pot is adorable!

Thank you very much! I took a look at your pics as well. The curious george cake is adorable! And I see you do cupcakes a bit. I have my first cupcake order due this weekend. What tip are you using (as on the yellow=orange-pink or the thanksgiving)? Any tricks to getting the buttercream to swirl so nicely?

lindambc Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2owen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

Thank you very much! I took a look at your pics as well. The curious george cake is adorable! And I see you do cupcakes a bit. I have my first cupcake order due this weekend. What tip are you using (as on the yellow=orange-pink or the thanksgiving)? Any tricks to getting the buttercream to swirl so nicely?

Thank You!!! I use a variety of large tips but my favorite is the 1M. I learned to make my 1M swirl from the Wilton tutorial on their website. I bought the Ateco large tube set from my local Smart N Final a while back and I use those tips now too. I play around with them alot to get new looks.

I believe the pastel cupcakes are done with the 1M. If you can get the Ateco set, I would. It large star tips and large plain tips!

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 14

We already had my twins' 1st birthday party & I didn't do smash cakes, but just a cut a piece of cake for them. But a girl I know is going to take pictures of them doing smash cakes as an advertisement for me. That's why I was wondering.

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:

We already had my twins' 1st birthday party & I didn't do smash cakes, but just a cut a piece of cake for them. But a girl I know is going to take pictures of them doing smash cakes as an advertisement for me. That's why I was wondering.

So is it two boy smash cakes? Maybe do one with a sports theme and the other with a transportation theme. Or a Dinosaurs and jungle theme.

Or if it's a boy and girl maybe do a brown and pink with polka dots and a brown and blue stripped one.

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 14

There will be 3 cakes altogether. Her son is doing one too. So 2 boys & 1 girl. I want to do a girly one, a chocolate one, and a funky one. I have a bunch of ideas for the girl one... just stuck on the other 2.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 14

I like the idea of the mountain with jungle animals or a mound of dirt with construction vehicles for the chocolate one. how about a baseball/basketball/soccer ball or football for another?

lindambc Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #14 of 14

I have been making the Giant Cupcake Cakes as smash cakes for a photographer I know. She is using them in her 1st birthday photo shoots.

The Giant Cupcake pan is amazing. So many things you can do with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%