Basket Handle

Decorating By Flintstone691961 Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 3:52am by sugarshack

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 5

I have made baskets, but never with a handle. How do you do a handle on a buttercream basket cake.

4 replies
tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

I am about to the do the same thing now I am no expert but my plan is to take three coloredgumpaste or fondant ropes and braid them then take my 9 in cake pan so that I can measure how wide the handle needs to be finally I will use wax paper or something like that (haven't figured that part out yet) and let it dry until the cake is done. Once I finish the cake then I will insert the handle into the cake and there you have it. Just my idea I hope it works. icon_biggrin.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 5

Tasha...you are right on the money. You can add some wire and wrap the gumpaste around it as well. That will make it a bit more stable. I have also made them out of royal icing. Just make them way ahead of time to give them plenty of time to dry. I piped royal icing over the wire...let it dry then flipped it over and piped icing on the other side...then let it dry. Then insert it into the cake.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

I made one once, I used fondant with tylose and used the rope on my sugar gun and then threaded it onto a wire already bent in the shape I wanted my handle in.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 5

for added stability, stick a straw (regular or bubble tea as needed for size) down into the cake and flush with the top. insert your basket handle ends (or wires or sucker sticks or whatever you have at the ends) down into the straw that has been filled with melted white choc.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%