Friday Night Cake Club, 3.27.09

Decorating By leah_s Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56am by Rocketgirl899

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:36am
post #61 of 84

I'm still up! Knew I'd be getting a late start on this rubber duck-themed first birthday cake, but since I decided to take a little nap this evening, I'm getting a VERY late start! Still need to fill, ice and fondant. My ducky and bubbles are done, though, so that's something...

Break's over, I guess - I hope y'all get some sleep tonight! Happy cakin'!

Bec

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #62 of 84

Thanks Serenatea...second tier turned out much better than the first...still two folds...but I'm much happier with it this time. I see you are in Jacksonville too!

Newnancy...this is the strawberry filling I used

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Strawberry-Filling-1

This is the first time I've used this recipe but it seems to be pretty good. I can let you know for sure after the cake is cut tomorrow!

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #63 of 84

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping to get some insight on my cake. I have done a few cakes covered in MMF and each time it seems I can never really get the cake smooth. I mean the fondant itself is smooth but the cake kind of looks lumpy. Hard to describe what I am talking about...... Like instead of the side/top of my cake being flat as a board it has some lumps or slumps in it. Here is a picture of the cake I did tonight. It is hard to tell from the picture (maybe) but it is not completely smooth.

I do make sure to smooth out my icing before applying the fondant. I am teaching myself how to decorate cakes and would really appreciate any help or suggestions I can get.

I know that silk floral is a no no but I am just practicing right now : )
LL

cats242 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:10am
post #64 of 84

Oh, I do have a question. What should I use to write on the side of the cake? Buttercream or should I make royal icing? Thanks!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:17am
post #65 of 84

There was a post about scroll work yesterday. If the cake if buttercream, then use that. But if it's a fondant cake, use royal icing. I mean, I guess you could do either, but these combos just look better together!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:20am
post #66 of 84

bobo... The only thing I would say is making sure the bc underneath is smooth, but you already said it was. Maybe try using a little more pressure when you are smoothing..Also(I'm sure you already know this), but make sure to throw that fondant on as soon as possible after rolling out. Sorry I couldn't be more help!!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:11am
post #67 of 84

night guys!

early morning as I didn't finish but im tired.

bobo.. i agree with pipe-dreams.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:31am
post #68 of 84

3:30 and I'm off to bed (finally). Still need to do a little in the morning, but I'm mostly done.

bobo- One other thing to check is the thickness of your fondant. I find that if I roll it too thin, the sides can look a little lumpy. In my rush tonight, I rolled my fondant too thin for one of my tiers. Had to peel it off and redo it, as it just wasn't smooth enough. Very annoying!

Night all!
Bec

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:46am
post #69 of 84

Hi ladies. It has been a while since I've visited. Just finished a baptism cake. I'm still struggling with doing a butter cream coating on a square/rectangle cake. This cake definitely isn't one of my finest.

It's 2:44 a.m. here and now I have a kitchen that looks like it threw up. My friend is meeting me half way to pick up her cake then I have to dash back home to meet with the guy that's going to tell us how much a new air conditioning system is going to cost us. Uggghhh!!!! But, we gotta have it in south Louisiana!

Have a great weekend!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:19am
post #70 of 84

12:15am here and this will be my first all nighter in about 6-8 weeks. sigh.... must mean summer is on its way. I have about 9 party cakes and just a smaller 3 tier wedding cake. I'm stayin' till it's done and then gonna sleep all day and let the assistant run the shop. Woo hoo employees!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:35am
post #71 of 84

cats242,
Thanks for the recipe......it looks good........do you have to refrigerate the cake after you finish with this filling.......waiting to hear what you think of it after it's cut.
Thanks again,
Nancy

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #72 of 84

I ended up getting the floral sticks and hot glueing them. So not all edible but i should have planned better!

Cake done... delivery in 45 min! all it has to do is make it through the ride~

Thanks ladies!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #73 of 84

Just back from my delivery. Here is the final picture. Thanks for keeping me company last night. Rocketgirl...glad the sticks worked out. Good luck on the delivery.
LL

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #74 of 84

GIRL!!! that cake is the BOMB!! It is so pretty!!! I'm sure they loved it!

And since it hasn't rained here yet, I'm hoping it hasn't rained there yet either!!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #75 of 84

Gorgeous cake!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm
post #76 of 84

Serenatea GREAT CAKE!

Here is my cake icon_biggrin.gif made it to the delivery spot without a problem icon_biggrin.gif

It is a copy of sugarshacks...tho I am no where near her level!

And a close up of the floral sticks... worked well! IMO

Thanks for the help!
LL
LL

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #77 of 84

Rocketgirl....Great...Beautiful

janelwaters Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #78 of 84

oh you did an amazing job!! that cake is just so pretty!!!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:41am
post #79 of 84

serentea and janel... thanks icon_biggrin.gif

learned lots from it too!

cats242 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #80 of 84

Here is the cake I was working on Friday night for my friends baby shower. I'm fairly happy with it...for my first attempt at fondant. Everyone loved it and it tasted great! (I don't know how to attach a pic so here is the link)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1338500

janelwaters Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:06am
post #81 of 84

Cats!! that is so super cute!! You did really good for first time with fondant!

if you can - definately buy Sugarshacks DVD flawless fondant! amazing!! I have been doing fondant for about 3 years and I couldn't believe the amount of stuff I learned from her DVD!! Oh - and if you haven't yet, you can search youtube for some fondant videos too.

It just takes some practice - but you really did a GREAT job!! I just love everything about it - the next baby shower cake I do, I might steal this idea!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:44am
post #82 of 84

Cats--

I agree with janel. I have Flawless fondant.. and its AWESOME!!!!

your first attempt looks great. love that little cow!

It looks like your fondant was a little thin. try rolling a little thicker. imo. i am no fondant expert!

cats242 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

Cats--

I agree with janel. I have Flawless fondant.. and its AWESOME!!!!

your first attempt looks great. love that little cow!

It looks like your fondant was a little thin. try rolling a little thicker. imo. i am no fondant expert!

Thanks! The cow was copied from the bedding my friend is using in the nursery...the nursery theme is nursery rhymes.

Yes, the fondant was a little too thin...I realized that after I had already put it on the bottom tier. There was actually a "front" for the bottom that was nice and smooth with no folds...but when I stacked it in a hurry I didn't pay attention. I was so mad about that the rest of the night. hehe! No one else noticed...of course!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #84 of 84

[quote="cats242"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

There was actually a "front" for the bottom that was nice and smooth with no folds...but when I stacked it in a hurry I didn't pay attention. I was so mad about that the rest of the night. hehe! No one else noticed...of course!

ahha! didn't you notice my white flower was WAY off to the left...

i always forget to mark my cakes. one day I will screw up bad enough to learn icon_twisted.gif

or maybe i should just cut to the chase and learn now!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%