Hard To Decide, Where To Move

Lounge By TJCanadian Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm by TJCanadian

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 8

Just a little confusion rant.

My primary job is in IT, not ready to go cakes full time yet. I've been unemployed for 2 months but just got a job offer. Great job, great pay, but have to move from Loveland, CO to either Grand Junction, CO, or Oak Ridge, Tennessee. I've accepted the job but we haven't been able to decide which way to go.

My husband has lived within 20 miles of here and his parents still live here in town. So the move is hard either way. With my husband's job not all that stable either, I see more opportunities in TN. The housing market is better for us, we could get into a great house that we could still afford if my DH lost his job, until he found something. There are good schools both places and now is the time to move, our oldest doesn't start Kindergarten until the fall.

My husband does woodworking so great woods in both places to work with.

We're trying to make a trip to both places to help decide, and maybe, just maybe we could get the inlaws to go too. The biggest advantage of GJ is that its only 4 hours away from everyone my DH has known all his life.

...the job offer that is bittersweet...horray for the great job offer....now lets uproot our whole family....

Sorry guys, just having a stressful week

7 replies
krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 8

I hear ya! Congrats on the job offer. I'm glad that both places are sounding good. I can't offer any advice since I've lived neither place. I believe I'd like both too. Hopefully someone can give you some advice to help make up your mind. GL

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #3 of 8

I would take into consideration the activities your family enjoys, and how close you would be to those activities.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 8

Does either of those two states allow a home baking business?
Would that influence your decision?

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

TJCanadian Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 8

Lol, SugarFrosted, I checked, Tennessee does permit in home bakers...helps from my standpoint

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 8

I lived in Nashville, TN for 3 years and absolutely loved every day of it. I would go back in a heartbeat. There was so much stuff to do there. Festivals, music on the river. Theater night in the parks. Art museums that are free at certain days of the year. Beautiful weather, sometimes a little hot but a great place to live, awesome school systems, and the people are really friendly. I know this is hard to decide but what an opportunity for you to be adventurous and a new chapter of your life has opened up. Good luck in your choice, I am sure that you will make the right one for your family.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

We have family in Oak Ridge, I really like the area. Not far from a large city. Very pretty area, and warmer than Colorado. I have lived in Colorado so I know how beautiful it is there, also. I know that this will be a hard decision for you, I wish you the best.

Congratulations on the new job! (Is your new job with Battelle?)

TJCanadian Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Ohara, I'm rather rooting for TN but have one huge fear....snakes. Are there a lot of snakes? I realize that its an irrational fear, but c'mon, I grew up in Canada....not so many snakes up there. And every nightmare I've had was being killed by snakes.

We're checking out Grand Junction this weekend, but its just so hard for my husband to decide to leave his family and friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%