Where Do I Get The High Density Foam Roller???????

Decorating By GARY Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm by Juds

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 15

Hi...I tried my local Ace Hardware, but none said hi density. Does anyone know where to purchase these?? also, where does anyone know where to get the silver metal sticks that are on top of cakes that have fondant cut-outs on top of them. Thanks so much-Gina

14 replies
Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 15

Gina, I purchased my rollers at Lowe's. I don't know about the silver metal sticks though.

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 15

Home Depot, Ace or Lowes...they may just say foam rollers, or contractor rollers. They are about 6" long and 1.5" diamater. They are for more fine finishes - these are what you want. May say 'for smooth finishes'.

sorry, no help on the sticks....no idea.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 15

I also got mine from Lowe's paint section. It was a blue package, and they are pretty cheap! It did say high density on the package.Do you have a picture of the other thing you are talking about? You might get more help with a pic.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 15

Lowe's; look for "High Density" on the label (like someone said before me...)
You can also get a high density roller at an actual paint store...the ones that sell paint and paint products only

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 15

I purchased mine from a local Sherwin-Williams paint store.

And I buy the "silver sticks" from Michael's ... the floral department.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 15

I think the silver metal sticks you are talking about are floral wire, you can get that at any craft store in the floral section. The smaller the number the larger the wire (18 gauge is smaller than 10 gauge)

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 15

I bought my foam roller at Wal-mart. They have a small paint section and had a couple different sizes. Gotta love WallyWorld! icon_biggrin.gif

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 15

I got mine at Home Depot, in the paint section. It was only $3 or $4. Mines only 3 or 4 inches, they have different sizes though. And they sell the refills in packs of 2.

As others already said, the "sticks" are floral wire. I think 18 gauge is the most commonly one used on here, but I may be wrong. You can get them at Michael's, Joann's, etc...Probably Wal-Mart too, but I never checked there to see.


mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 15

The silver sticks are actually wires. the smaller the number, the thicker the wire. walmart has them in the floral section, as well as any craft store. the high density rollers are just roller that are not puffy. tight foam. good luck.

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks you guys!!! Now I'm off to go shopping!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 15

Hey GARY... just wanted to throw this out there for you... I don't know if you've purchased your rollers or not, but if you get them at WalMart and they are Rubbermaid brand, you may not be satisfied with the result. Some people have used them and they were fine, but when I personally used that brand I did not like the result. I much prefer the ones you get at Lowe's or other paint/hardware/home improvement stores. I am in the midwest and usually get mine at Menard's Home Improvement store. I've found ten-packs of refill foams for about $6-$8.

Hope you find some good ones and that they work out for you!! Good luck!

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 15

I'm in the dark here, what do you all use the rollers for? Smooth crusted BC?

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 15

I buy my rollers at Home Depot (second aisle of the paint department--can you tell where I work). The high density foam rollers that Home Depot sells have a blue handle and as someone else stated, they do come in different sizes. All the different sizes do have refill packs that you can buy. I like the larger size roller (can't remember exact size).

These rollers are used to smooth the crusted BC. There is an article on the first page of the CC homepage, "The Melvira Method" that gives directions for smoothing your BC using the foam rollers. I can't get my BC perfect (yet) icon_cry.gif using this, but is by far the best tip I have come across for smoothing BC! Try the Melvira Method--you will not be disappointed! thumbs_up.gif



Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 15


Quote by @%username% on %date%