What Is This About?

Decorating By Denae Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #1 of 11

OK, so I had a very last minute bride. She emails yesterday for a wedding cake on April 18th, I went ahead and took order and told her that her cake had to be paid in full when we meet, which is Wed April 1st...this is 18 days before her wedding! She emails me back and this is what it says...

"I hate to be a pain, but I talked the cake info over with my fiance and well, he isnt to big on the idea of paying up front. He is more of a put down a deposit for supplies and them give the rest when the job is done kinda thing. SO, with that being said..I thank you for your time, and do wished we could of used your services, but we will not be able to continue to do so. Thank you so much, and you do an amazing job icon_smile.gif"

What do you say to this?

10 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 11

I'd say..........."Thank you for considering me.......best wishes on your marriage."

Denae Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #3 of 11

i think she found someone else...which is fine...but it makes me mad! "put down a deposit for supplies type thing"!!!!!!!!! uggghhh! i have never come across that before.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 11

Yep, that's the perfect response. There's not really anything else to say. And good luck to her finding someone who will do a wedding cake last minute without requiring full payment two weeks in advance.

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 11

I agree with dkelly. Wish them luck finding someone to do it that close to the date without paying for it in full (most places I know of ask for the amount to be fully paid two weeks before the event)
It may be a blessing ~ who knows ~ maybe they would have given you a hard time about paying at delivery!

Denae Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #6 of 11

it's just aggrivating, bc i rearranged my schedule to meet with her last minute and the 50 emails back and forth and then BAM! you guys are right! thanks...

this is what i put:

"In all, thank you for considering us! We wish all the best!"

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #7 of 11

Unfortunately, we can't win them all...and like someone said, sometimes that can be a good thing. You don't want a customer who is unwilling to follow your policies.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 11

Maybe she was going to flake or last minute decide, "I didn't really like the cake so I shouldn't have to pay" situation. Don't worry atleast you didn't rush into the whole thing without money up front.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:04am
post #9 of 11

I think she should see this red flag for what it is .... a husband who has an idea of how things should be and "by god...!" that's how it's going to be. This won't apply JUST to deposits.

I knew a lady who didn't want to put down a deposit on an apartment because she thought it was "stupid" to do so. We kept telling her "good luck finding an apartment, then!"

Your short, sweet response was appropriate.

Denae Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 11

seriously though...what wedding vendor doesn't require payment in full 2 weeks before the wedding anyway?

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 11

I bet she'll regret turning you down because she probably won't be able to find anyone to do it in such short notice. Your response was great though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%