Continueing Saga Of The Cancelling Bride

Business By cupcake Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm by sadsmile

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 15

Alright, today I get a call from the Brides mother who lives out of state, and comes here to a wedding for her daughter only to find out that the daughter has cancelled the wedding. The daughter, who is with child, was upset that the mother in law was not doing things as she wished. The daughter who is young, wanted a very small wedding, like 30-40 people, the MIL bumped it up to 100, along with some other unwished items. Now, the BM asks if I could at some point make the cake at a later time, in the event they decide to have a party. I agreed to that, but that I would have to know ahead in the event I had other wedding cakes. I also put a 6 month time limit on the request. Her other request was in the event her daughter did not want to do the first request was make the cake and they would freeze the whole thing. I agreed to the possiblity of the second option. The mother, then said she would get with her daughter and call me back. She did. Now maybe be are at the end of this saga. The kids are getting married, as planned, but only the parents are attending, so now they want the cake, but do not want it assembled, it was a 3 tier stacked whimsical cake. The small group will eat some of the cake and freeze the rest. Lord, what a nightmare, I will be glad when this one is done. I feel, I have accomodated as much as I can at this point in the game. "As the World Turns" episode 5000 is hopefully over.

14 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 15

All I can say is WOW!!! That is NOT how I'd want to remember my wedding day! They are very lucky to have such an accomodating baker icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 15

she didn't even tell her mother the wedding was canceled/changed? icon_surprised.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 15

i second the wow! i wonder if it was a temper tantrum planned to get the MIL to behave, or how serious they were about eloping.
i guess you have to do it how they want, but why not have it stacked, so it looks like what they paid for?
i hope it all goes to plan from now on!
xx

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 15

Good lord, I hope this comes to an end soon.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 15

Wow, kind of sad that they're starting off their marriage with so much drama.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 15

I had one bride who cancelled the wedding and eloped because her mother was following along behind her wherever she went to an appointment and changing everything. Without telling her.

She changed the flowers, and the food, and when she changed the custom dress that the bride had ordered the dressmaker actually took the time to call the bride. Lo and behold the bride knew nothing about any changes with her dress, and she started investigating with her other vendors. Nobody had called her, but the mother had made chagnes everywhere (she hadn't gotten to me yet).

She cancelled the ceremony and eloped, and didn't invite her mother. Not every bride and mother-of have good relationships, apparently.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 15

so now they want the cake, but do not want it assembled, it was a 3 tier stacked whimsical cake......

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif But won't the whole *whimsical* thing be lost with it not being stacked ?
Perhaps it is me, but i find that odd - and sad that you will go to alot of trouble to make a certain type of cake and yet it won't look as it is meant too.....or maybe its a bit early in the morning and i am just *not getting* it.... icon_redface.gif

Weddings, they surely bring the best out in people - *cough*... icon_rolleyes.gif

Bh.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #9 of 15

They are lucky you are as understanding as you are! icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:43am
post #10 of 15

You are a good customer service poster! They better write a glowing thank you note to you.

Glad to see the saga is coming to an end.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:54am
post #11 of 15

Sounds like the MoB stepped up and took over. Good for her!

Glad it all worked out for you, and that you'll eventually be able to deliver a cake to them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:17am
post #12 of 15

Do they plan on serving the rest of the cake at a later reception? I think if it were me, and if this were easier (not a professional, rarely stack cakes!) I would ask and suggest that either they let you do the cake all stacked up so it looks awesome and tell them they can just unstack the tiers to freeze OR -- and this is the one I'm not sure about -- do it as two cakes (a small = top layer cake for the actual wedding and a two tier cake that can be frozen and used at a later reception). This is assuming that it is a design that can be split like that. I'm just thinking this would be nicer for them, plus later if the cake is served the two tier version would look good, as opposed to two tiers with the top mucky from having the top tier removed or looking incomplete if it was never assembled. If they are just going to be eating all the cake themselves, then whatever.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 15

Unbelievable. What a sorry story for the bride to tell the grand kids!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 15

Oh my gosh! You poor thing. They are just making you jump hoops. That is ridiculous!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 15

Pow! I had a feeling about this one. Sheesh! You are such a good sport to do this for them! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%