Classy Over The Hill?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm by Jeannem

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 16

I am making a birthday cake for my girlfriend who is turning 40. Her dh is throwing her a surprise party and asked me to create a cake with an "over the hill" type of theme.

My gut tells me that she won't really like that theme, but I still want to fufill her husband's request. Does anyone have suggestions for an "Over the Hill" cake that is non-traditional? I have looked at all the pics in the gallery for ideas but still feel stumped. I'd like to stay away from the ones with the tombstones and such.

Any help is appreciated icon_smile.gif

15 replies
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 16

I have no design suggestion to make but as someone who passed over the hill a long time ago icon_cry.gif ,

thank you for following your gut and trying to find a way to meet his request in a "nice" way.

good luck

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 16

I'm actually making one next month for a 40th birthday, and I'm simply making a cake of the number 40. That way you can decorate it any way you like, and it'll be more of a celebration instead of the typical expected "over the hill" theme.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 16

I have something in my mind. Although its not my taste, maybe it can give you ideas.

I've always like the idea of a spiral tier cake (more of like a stair type of cake). On it you can put standing numbers 1 to whatever her age---like the numbers are going up the stiars. You can even decorate the numbers with details that represents its age and then you can make it as fancy as classy as you can.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 16

I did one that I considered "better" than the usual over the hill. I based on a cake by Cakery that was beautiful but still had that "you're old" bite to it. I'll try to attach it.
LL

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 16

Maybe you can do a theme of "getting better with age" like a fine wine. icon_wink.gif

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #7 of 16

I n my photos I have a cake I did for my Daughter-in-law when she turned forty. It is lavender with white lace and pearls plus an accrostic.

Robyn is...

F abulous
O organized
R espected
T alented
Y outhful

You can put other words but these fit Robyn.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 16

I made one that said " Over the Hill time to Coast!" It was a 11x15 and the picture on it was a convertable car just over the hill. I'll see if I can upload the pic. It not in my photo's right now. But everyone loved it at the party.

Hope this helps.

edited: OK I put the picture in my photo's. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #9 of 16

I HATE 'Over The Hill' cakes! icon_mad.gif Because darlin' I *AM* getting better! Life STARTS at 40 and it's a free-wheeling, whirlwind of a ride! thumbs_up.gif

To me, Over The Hill parties are like squirt guns ... the only one having fun is the one pulling the trigger. Or in this case, the person throwing the party who thinks humiliation to another person is considered fun entertainment.

If I'm Over The Hill, then I'm on a set of skis and flying down the other side, racing thru the wind of life, absorbing the excitement and the rush of the adventure!

Here's one I did for a friend: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1182526

Here's my 50th: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303013

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #10 of 16

you could do a newspaper cake with the headline "Fabulous at Forty"
and place a picture of the birthday girl. Then, to get in the "over the hill" thing, you could put a little blurb on the side that said 'over the hill isn't what it used to be' or '40 is the new 30' or 'breaking news: recent reports show that its not so bad over the hill as once thought' , etc.

i did a newspaper cake for my dh 40th thats in my pics.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 16

here is one I did - you could simply leave off the tombstone and put the #40 on there instead.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310363

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 16

Thank you for all your ideas!!

So I spoke with her husband and told him I was having trouble finding an over the hill idea that I thought she would love and wondered how he felt about doing a "40 and Fabulous" theme instead. He said that sounded great. Phew!

So I think I am going to make a 6" and 8" tiered cake with pink and black stripes, polka dots, etc. with the number 40 on top and a gumpaste banner that says "and fabulous" at the bottom.

On a side note, I had a dream (nightmare) last night that I went to the party, there were like 50 people there and I forgot the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #13 of 16

Oooh...the Fabulous at 40 is wonderful! I'll have to write that down!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 16

Here is one i did last year..
LL

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 16

Okay, you are all on about this "age thing"

Now, I also need some help......
My twin brother and I are celebrating our 60th birthday together and the children have arranged a suprise party for the two of us. I am aware of this but he doesn't know about the party.
I have no clue what kind of cake to do for the 2 of us............wanted to do the Road of life cake, but not sure if I will have enough time to do all that.
He is a brandy drinker...thought of a bottle on a square cake.
Got no idea of what I can do for myself.

If anybody has got ideas, suggestions what can be done for twins, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 16

When my sister who loves to shop turned 50 last year, I made her a "shopping cake",purse, shoe, etc, with a bra draped over the shoe box and the note "XXX is 50, let's show her some support". It was a hit, and she got her "girlie cake".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%