Smoothing Cake Help??

Decorating By GARY Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm by GARY

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 14

I have made many cakes now....I'm still having trouble getting a smooth layered cake. I use the buttercream dream recipe & wait for it to crust about 20 minutes. I've also tried to smooth with parchment paper. It still sticks. Could anyone give me any suggestions for smoothing? thanks so much-Gina

13 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not familiar with Buttercream dream, but have you also tried heating up your spatula with HOT water, wiping it off and running it along the cake?

I have also had trouble with super smooth buttercream finishes and that works wonders. I plan on trying the Viva method "someday" when I gain some patience... and actually allow the frosting to crust.

HTH icon_smile.gif

finnsimm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnsimm Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 14

I usually use the paper towel method. I have make sure that the buttercream is a little thicker than usual!

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 14

How about trying a Viva smooth paper towel, with no decorations on it. That's what I use or wax paper..

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 14

Have you tried the Melvira method? It works great.
You need a high density foam roller. After your frosting crusts, you use the roller to smooth the frosting. It worked really well the last 2 cakes I did. I haven't head good luck with the Viva method, I think my hands and just too hot, and I end up having frosting sticking to my paper towel. But the roller works well for me.

Good luck!

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 14

I have found that regular computer paper works even better than parchment. I'm also not familiar with buttercream dream, but it sounds like it might not be crusting up.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 14

Check this out to see if it helps...

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 14

I use the foam roller method by Melvira. I have great success with it, even with the high humidity here in the deep south.

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 14

I would really recommend "perfecting the art of buttercream" sugarshack it is the best investment you will ever make. She will tell you excatly how to do it and it works.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 14

Invest in Sugarshack's DVDs. It will do WONDERS for your caking.

DevineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DevineDesserts Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 14

I have my own buttercream recipe and parchment paper and computer paper stick to my icing. After the icing crusts, I use a viva and a fondant smoother and that's worked wonders... also the Sugarshack DVD's are amazing. I felt like I learned SOOO much from her perfecting buttercream dvd. I am not a fan of her icing recipe b/c I don't like the flavor, so don't feel like you need to change your recipe!

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 14

I let it crust and then use wax paper/freezer paper and the warmth from my hands...but I'm still searching for methods to get those crisp top edges. detective.gif

mccakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakegal Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 14

From the cake show in DC this past weekend:

What I learned from the cake show in DC this weekend, is that my buttercream is too stiff! Other technique that I learned -

Ann Heap's (The Pink Cake Box, NJ) technique: She uses 2 massonite cake boards the same size as the cake and a bench scraper with a straight edge that is as tall or taller than the cake. Using the boards as a guide for the scraper, spin the cake while holding the scraper against the boards. It creates the most beautiful edges.

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks you guys for all your ideas.....I can't wait to test them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%