Edible Image Licensing

Business By cakeymom Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm by jillmakescakes

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am interested in a cake/cookie business but am still in the research phases.

I would like to do edible image cakes, and my question is this -

How do you get the software to do copyrighted images??? Such as Disney and Marvel Comics, etc.?????


5 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 6

I could be wrong, but I think you just have to purchase them for a cake supply source.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 6

The software needed to reproduce edible images is the same software needed to reproduce photo images, etc.

The copyright characters can be reproduced using a photo or computer image on any computer with a printshop or copy function. (Of course, for edible images you need a dedicated printhead that uses food safe dyes and rice paper, etc. instead of bond paper.)

However, in order to do reproductions, legally, one has to be licensed by the company that owns the rights to the copyright characters. (Quite an involved process, I'm sure.) Or buy them already made from a licensed business.

Here's a sampling of licensed/copyright characters, etc. available from a licensed online business: www.decopac.com



BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 6

I worked in a bakery where we did copyrighted designs. The printer we used was by Bakery Kraft and it was made to accept the copyrighted images. We then purchased discs from them with the images on them. The disc came with a key, which you had to use each time you printed the image. The disc came with, I think 12, uses. After printing the image 12 times it would not print any more and you had to purchase another disc. This was about 10 years ago so they may have updated equipment available now.

You were limited to only the designs they had available on the disc, it did not give you the right to other copyrighted designs.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the responses!!!!

They definitely make sense.



jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 6

DecoPac has a system that you can purchase the printer, ink, paper and the right to print licensed materials. It comes with a hefty price tag. You may just want to check with a local grocery store to see if they will print the images for you. Most will print just the image for about $5.00 an image in my area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%