Did I Make A Mistake?

Decorating By Lisa540 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm by Lisa540

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 19

Hello all,

I am new here but have lurked for a long time. I am writing this because I need some advice.

This past weekend there was a story done about a non profit organization that has started in my area that throws bday parties for under privileged kids. The article was so touching and seeing what they do for each kid was enough to make me tear a little while reading it. I got so emotional I emailed the reporter right away and told them that I had a hobby decorating cakes and I would love to donate cakes for these parties. I just got an email from the founder saying that they would love for me to do this. =) So here's my question....Did I bit off more than I can chew?? I would like to hear from anyone on here that does cakes each weekend. I have uploaded one of my cakes on here so you guys can see that I am quite the beginner. Do you think it will be too much?? I want to do this badly but now worry I can't do it because of my beginner skills.

Thank you for any input or thoughts that you all have. I guess I am really lacking in self confidence when it comes to cakes. I want them to look like the majority on here but just can't quite get it that far.

* just thought to add that it would be approx 5 cakes a month. I know that doen't seem much but with the pressure to have them perfect it seems like a lot.

Sorry for the long story

18 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 19

Hi Lisa,
First off, what you are offering to do is wonderful. I think any organization would be grateful for any cake that they receive cause its for the kids and that's what is important.
Second, think about it as a way to practice. You can be creative and try different ideas.
Third, the cakes would be for kids, not picky brides or customers who don't know what they want. Kids are easily pleased and trust me when I say that if they got a cake like one that you have posted, they would be sooooo happy icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif !
I do a cake a weekend, sometimes more, sometimes less. If I don't have an order, I still make a cake & send it to my DH's work, just to get my name out there, and to practice.
I question my ablilities all the time, but I get compliments and several repeat customers, and that makes me feel good. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck......

HTH

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 19

Hi Lisa! I think what you are planning to do is a great opportunity! Five cakes is very do-able, especially with time management. The photos you have posted are great, you don't give yourself enough credit! Just consider these donated cakes as practice cakes to increase your skill/knowledge and to fatten up your portfolio. Plus, you are giving a kid a really special cake to give him/her a special birthday memory.

If you don't feel overly confident with your skills right now, just start off with basic designs until you feel comfortable and then start to branch out with different/more complicated designs. You can do it!! thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 19

Kids are definitely not going to nit-pick!! think of it as practice for you and joy for them. Mix it up....try fondant...cupcakes...rice krispie treats....cakes...

It's really a good thing you are doing.

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 19

Lisa, no, you have not made a mistake. Think of the look of amazement on the kids' faces when they realize the cake if for them. Aww, now you have me tearing up. The cake and cookies you posted were very good. You will get to practice on these cakes and learn time management. And as you know, CC has a wealth of information and if you cannot find the answer to a question you have, all you have to do is ask.

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 19

I just wanted to say that although you doubt yourself now, as soon as you realize the effect you have on the children who receive your cakes, all of your doubts and fears will disappear and you'll feel confident that what you're doing is the right thing! (not to mention the practice and additions to your portfolio as previous stated ~ it's a "Win Win" situation!)
Congratulations to you for doing something some people only "think" of doing! thumbs_up.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 19

You get to have a blank practice board and someone who is going to eat your great creations and it is so nice to do that for others. I think you and the kids will be blessed by this. Thank you for caring for others and enjoy all the practice.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 19

You are blessed to have such a wonderful opportunity to share your talent. I would love to do something like this. Your cakes will be beautiful! And to put a smile on a childs face, it just doesn't get any better than that! What a wonderful gift!

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 19

Lisa-I think what you are doing is absolutely wonderful and I would agree with the other members that this is an excellent chance to practice your skills AND make some young ones very very happy. I, too, do this as a hobby only and with no children, am constantly bringing "my practice" down the street to the neighbor's 6 boys. They even liked the Wilton Fondant icon_surprised.gif (ick). Thumbs up!!! thumbs_up.gif

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 19

Lisa ,
You are so sweet to do this...some of these kids probably have not even had a birthday cake before. What you do makes them feel like they matter, that they are noticed. You have the power to give that child a special memory and make them feel important on that day.
Don't be so hard on your skills,( your racetrack cake is great!). You will continue to improve with every cake and your confidence will grow with each creation.
Good luck, and be sure to post those birthday cake pictures for us!
Kristy

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 19

Hi Lisa540,

Can you tell me who you contacted to do this? I just moved to WA and I am bored and don't know anyone. This would be a great thing for me to do as well!

Thanks and your cake in your photos looks great!!!

Carol

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 19

It's never a mistake to give of yourself!

But if 5 cakes a month sounds like a little much right now, tell the founder just that. Tell her that you can only do 2-3 right now, but will build that up as you get more confident.

The thing with organizations is that they are so grateful for what you give them! I'm not saying to give them 'leftovers' icon_smile.gif, but I know they would be grateful with whatever you give them!!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 19

I really cant add any more than whats already been said - I just wanted to say that I think you are going to be such a blessing to these young children who probably would be getting a cake from the local graocery - with just their name and some BC roses - I mean look at YOUR race track??? WHAT little boy wouldnt love that?? It may just be a cake that they will NEVER forget - no matter how
little/much talent is in it!!
I think you are a Angel on Earth to give these babies that one time cake they may never get again! In their childhood!
And like ^^^^^^^ all said - look at the open canvas you'll have to practice and sharpen/learn new skills!!! You have the perfect opp!!!
So good luck and God Bless you for doing this! There
should be more of us who do something to share our talents like that!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 19

I saw a similar story and thought "your should do that" but I didn't,
YOU did, and I think you're wonderful thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

GayeG:

I saw your signiture last week and wanted to write it down because I think it's really quite profound, especially for these days. But I forgot icon_redface.gif so I'm glad I saw you post again.

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 19

I have to agree with the PP that you would probably be quite shocked at how many kids have never had a birthday cake. My daughter had a friend like this, and when she found out about it, she came home begging me a few days before this girls birthday to make her a birthday cake, which I happily did. But my daughter was just SHOCKED that her friend had never had a cake... espeically since I'm sure my girls are quite sick of my cakes by now!!! LOL.. I think what you are going is just GREAT and a really great way to use your talents!!! You will be blessed more than you can every imagine!!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #16 of 19

Your cakes will be gorgeous in the eyes of the beholders! This is the sort of thing someone might remember for the rest of their lives.
Best wishes to you, and yes, it's a chance for you to learn and grow....in more ways than one!!
PS: Send pics! Fun for the rest of us, too!!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 19

Thanx nannie!! .. Isnt it true?? Sometimes in our busy little worlds we forget to just be content! Put it there as a reminder to me too! Glad you "found" me again! icon_wink.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 19

I think your heart is in the right place but here's something to think about that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

Please be sure that the organization knows you are NOT an insured business, that you are a hobby baker, baking out of your home.

Also, if there are any food allergies that you are not aware of i.e. gluten, peanut, dairy, just to name a few, that could be a liability for you.

I don't want to be a downer, but sometimes what starts out as a generous act and good intention can come back to bite us. People are so "sue happy" these days I would hate for you to not cover yourself or to not explore every avenue before you begin.

Check with your local HD, ask them if this is even legal or acceptable. When there is food involved it gets very very tricky. Always protect yourself.

Good luck!

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you thank you thank you!!! You guys really made me feel better about all of this. I am really excited to start doing this but when I got the call I felt something inside of me say..no, not yet you're not that good. I have thought about sending them a few pictures of girls/boys cakes that they can have the kids pick from. I'm not sure about everything yet. We will work out more of the deatails later on. I am suppose to speak with the founder again in a couple of hours.

I found out about this by reading an online article on one of our TV stations sites. A church started this at the end of last year. The kids get a party at Chuck E Cheese, can invite up to 6 kids and even get a present. They spend around $75-$100 on each kid. I love this organization! I only wish there were more of them around. Maybe it will catch on.

DKelly..thank you very much for what you pointed out. Yes they do know that I am not professional and that I do this from home. But I will check out more of the regulations in my town. It did cross my mind that this might get brought up before I heard from her and I have a few ideas. My husband is a fire fighter and they have commercial kitchens, just one thing I thought of. I have seen them being used by city employees for donated cooking. I plan on speaking with them about the allergies and everything else you said! Thank you!!

I will keep you all posted on how it goes and see if they know of any other cities that have this program in case any of you might want to do this too. It's kinda like that movie Pay it Forward. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%