Brown Sugar Smbc?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 11:50am by fievel

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #31 of 39

Hello,

I am mostly posting this to save it for further reference -- I am a newbie around here and although I go to this site almost EVERYDAY I still find acronyms that are a mystery to me - now that I see what SMBC stands for I am very excited to try it. I have only ever used PSBC - not knowing there was any other kind - but now a whole new world has opened to me... and I can spout off new acronyms and feel "cake smart" icon_smile.gif

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #32 of 39

KatesCakesBC this may help you with the acronyms...it helped me a ton!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:48am
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Thank you for the compliment! If it were powdered sugar buttercream as soft and fluffy-like as this stuff is, they would've been blobs...I need super stiff for my ps bc roses....same goes for my mums but this stuff....I seem to be able to maintain shape to them.

Diann's 1-2-3 swiss meringue buttercream on youtube....1part egg whites, 2 parts sugar, 3 parts butter (1cup whites, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups butter) and of course flavoring. search 1-2-3 swiss meringue buttercream on youtube(I do cook my egg white/sugar mixture longer than she does though)

? for you all4cake. I remember seeing her video a couple of weeks ago but I think she had mentioned the parts as weight (oz I believe) does it still work in a 1-2-3 ratio when you measure in cups? I'm just wondering because I'm heading up to Canada soon and I thought I'd make this there but I know my mom doesn't have a scale.

BTW, those are some fantastic roses!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:00am
post #34 of 39

hmmmmmmm...if she was weighing then I goofed and got lucky because I've been using 1 cup egg whites, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups butter then flavoring. (I've been lucky with both multiplying and halving the recipe). I do, however, cook mine to at least 160 but have cooked it to 175 (in doing so, you must both heat the water to a gradual simmer(instead of setting the egg white/sugar mix directly over already simmering water) and stirring it constantly to keep it from scrambling portions of the whites. It may seem like a lot of work, but it gives me peace of mind)

edited to say Thank you very much for the compliment(again).

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:10am
post #35 of 39

That's a great tip about the water. I'll remember that for next time.
I'm glad the cup ratio's worked so I can use it too! Great goof!!!

Did I tell you that I was nervous about eating the bc when I made it a couple of weeks ago because of the smell? All I could smell was egg before the butter went in and I'm thinking who's gonna want to eat this??? icon_lol.gif but, by the time it was all done the smell was gone!

Did I mention my sense of smell is probably better than my dogs since my pregnancies icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:17am
post #36 of 39

LOL...no, I think you left out that bit of information (I think it smells like egg water when it's cooking and before it has whipped up).

I just looked in the recipe section...

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-444-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html

10 egg whites usually yields me 1 cup...so 5 should yield a 1/2 cup, right? Then, 8oz(1 cup) sugar, and 3 sticks-12oz(1 1/2)butter...would be the same as the 1-2-3, correct?

This was for added support for the cup vs weight issue.

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:31am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

LOL...no, I think you left out that bit of information (I think it smells like egg water when it's cooking and before it has whipped up).

I just looked in the recipe section...

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-444-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html

10 egg whites usually yields me 1 cup...so 5 should yield a 1/2 cup, right? Then, 8oz(1 cup) sugar, and 3 sticks-12oz(1 1/2)butter...would be the same as the 1-2-3, correct?

This was for added support for the cup vs weight issue.

Sounds good to me!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:39am
post #38 of 39

Katescakes-Thanks for asking this question-I am still fairly new around here and I was always wondering what the acronyms were too. I just felt stupid to actually ask anyone! And thank you SO MUCH Fievel for providing that link! Awesome! I've never tried the SMBC before-but all of these recipes sound great-look forward to trying them!

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:50am
post #39 of 39

You're very welcome on the acronyms. It's saved me many times icon_smile.gif

Definitely give SMBC a try...it's soooo delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%