Freezing?

Baking By lkoenig07 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 5:26am by freddyfl

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 7

I had a question about freezing cookies. I was asked to make cookie favors for a banquet, but realized I'd be on vacation that week after I said yes. I would love to do the cookies still and I'm trying to figure out a way I can. I was wondering if I can freeze the cookies already decorated (NFSC w/royal icing) & if they would come out ok after?? Anyone??? Thanks

6 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

I know that i've frozen undecorated cookies successfully but have never done this with decorated ones. There was a thread on this topic though. If you scroll down the topics, you'll see something about freezing cookies with more advice. Good luck!

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

you can freeze them decorated, no problem. I decorated AND painted christmas cookies (NSFC and Gingerbread) bagged them with sticks, and froze for a couple weeks. I had no problem at all with them running or anything. Just let them sit out at room temp undisturbed (especially with painted ones) until fully thawed to make sure any condensation etc doesn't ruin them. I don't know that the condensation *would* ruin them, but I didn't want to risk it having the colours bleed.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 7

Great!!! Thank you!

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 7

I have successfully decorated and frozen cookies for 2 weeks before they were due. They came out perfect.
I used greaseproof paper between each layer of cookies ad stored in an airtight container in the freezer. I also wrapped alfoil around the container (read somewhere to do this)
I took them out the day before they were to be packaged and left them on the bench without opening the container until fully thawed and at room temperature.
THey were exactly the same as if I had made them that week.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 7

I, too, have had success freezing iced cookies. Just as others have posted, let them thaw at room temp in the packaging (whatever it may be) WITHOUT opening them. (Apparently this prevents condensation from building up inside?) I did it with individually wrapped cookies in cello bags tied with ribbon - no prob! Good luck!
HTH!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #7 of 7

I have a cookie in the freezer that I am testing this on right now and when I last looked at it, the icing looked a little splotchy to me, I am not sure if it still will once I thaw it, but I just thought I would let you know that. You may want to try a test cookie before you do them all like that for a customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%