How Much Would You Charge For This?

Decorating By mommabeaver25 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm by Heath

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeandbakehelper888

I really do sell cakes lol. I would charge about $150 for that cake in the photo. I did not intend for the comment to be rude. However, I think it is rude to over charge a customer for cake. Cake is cake whether you measured it out or a machine did for a cake mix company, and your customers that expect fine quality cakes would not notice a difference in taste between scratch baking and cake from a mix, although I'm sure they'd argue all day that their palet is sophisticated and they only prefer cakes from scratch.

Everything you listed, edna, would not take more than 3 hours, so by charging (let's figure it takes you $50 in ingredients) that other $350 for your time, you really think your time is worth more than $100 an hour for doing something simple like the things you listed? Try a job with actual PHYSICAL LABOR or work that takes brain power beyond that of a middle schooler. (no offense middle schoolers)

dkelly, I love John Lennon too. Glad to see we have other Beatles fans on here. "Imagine no over priced cakes" lol icon_biggrin.gif

I am not sure how you do your cakes...But I am really fast, and that cake is not made from beginning to end in 3 hours.. Just mixing and cooking will take almost that time. Add the time of making your icing, unless everything is prebought and then is all about finisihing the cake....
Like i said my work my time is priceless, and I definitively dont get $100. an hour ...I wish!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #32 of 92

Edna has an internet stalker LOL

I'd like to see this person make a 3 tier wedding cake BAKED AND DECORATED in 3 hours

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #33 of 92
Quote:

I really do sell cakes lol. I would charge about $150 for that cake in the photo. I did not intend for the comment to be rude. However, I think it is rude to over charge a customer for cake. Cake is cake whether you measured it out or a machine did for a cake mix company, and your customers that expect fine quality cakes would not notice a difference in taste between scratch baking and cake from a mix, although I'm sure they'd argue all day that their palet is sophisticated and they only prefer cakes from scratch.

Everything you listed, edna, would not take more than 3 hours, so by charging (let's figure it takes you $50 in ingredients) that other $350 for your time, you really think your time is worth more than $100 an hour for doing something simple like the things you listed? Try a job with actual PHYSICAL LABOR or work that takes brain power beyond that of a middle schooler. (no offense middle schoolers)

dkelly, I love John Lennon too. Glad to see we have other Beatles fans on here. "Imagine no over priced cakes" lol icon_biggrin.gif

If you do not intend to be rude then you need to apologize and then stop making rude comments. icon_biggrin.gif

Feel free to re-read your post before you hit the submit button. Give yourself some time in between so you can see how you're inadvertently coming off.

Cake decorating is abundant physical labor plus brain power. You come off as trying to demean Edna whose work is outstanding.

Edna has a lovely heart and makes the most wonderful tutorials--she's a tremendous cake designer.

And so you're the little decorator whose doing all that egregious undercharging eh? That makes it hard for the rest of us to get a decent price.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

If you do not intend to be rude then you need to apologize and then stop making rude comments. icon_biggrin.gif

Feel free to re-read your post before you hit the submit button. Give yourself some time in between so you can see how you're inadvertently coming off.

Cake decorating is abundant physical labor plus brain power. You come off as trying to demean Edna whose work is outstanding.

Edna has a lovely heart and makes the most wonderful tutorials--she's a tremendous cake designer.

And so you're the little decorator whose doing all that egregious undercharging eh? That makes it hard for the rest of us to get a decent price.

Thanks!
Edna

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #35 of 92

Cakeandbakehelper888... you must work at Publix then, with your really cheap prices. The rest of us whom do this as a career charge money to make a living. Cake decorating takes time and is a skill not a lot of people know how to do or have the time to do. I guess your entitled to your own opinion no matter how dumb it is

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #36 of 92

Cakeandbakehelper888...............I think you should grow some balls and post under your real username. I find it really hard to believe you just happened to sign up today and all 3 of you post are talking crap about peoples pricing. I would LOVE to see one of your cakes next to Edna's cake and then see you talk crap. That size cake wouldn't even cool in 3 hours. I think you are a little on the crazy side! Just my honest opinion!!!!!

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #37 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

Cakeandbakehelper888... you must work at Publix then, with your really cheap prices. The rest of us whom do this as a career charge money to make a living. Cake decorating takes time and is a skill not a lot of people know how to do or have the time to do. I guess your entitled to your own opinion no matter how dumb it is

lol..

I wanna add to something this person said...
Carrying a 5 tier cake is hard labor...So I do plenty of that!

Another thing...I graduated from high School at 16 and from College by the time I was 20...I have plenty of brains here..
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Cakeandbakehelper888...............I think you should grow some balls and post under your real username. I find it really hard to believe you just happened to sign up today and all 3 of you post are talking crap about peoples pricing. I would LOVE to see one of your cakes next to Edna's cake and then see you talk crap. That size cake wouldn't even cool in 3 hours. I think you are a little on the crazy side! Just my honest opinion!!!!!

Im still wondering why she has no photos...icon_smile.gif

Maybe she doesnt like my free tutorials icon_lol.gif
Edna

Cakeandbakehelper888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandbakehelper888 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #39 of 92

Why would it take 2 days? Don't you sleep? Don't you make tutorials and post on here? How much is your time really worth, if you do both for free?

Just because it takes you 2 days to make that cake, doesn't mean it should.

When people get paid an hourly wage, you clock out when you're not working.

And nicci, I do it every day. What size oven are you using that it takes a whole day to make that few cakes? I know you guys use a veeerrryy small portion guideline, so I don't see where those 100 servings are taking up your whole oven. It's not like you're giving them a big piece of cake.

Maybe the extra money you expect for your time is for the guilt you suffer from for charging so much.

nickshalfpint Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #40 of 92

We've probably seen her cakes on cakewrecks icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #41 of 92
Quote:

Why would it take 2 days? Don't you sleep? Don't you make tutorials and post on here? How much is your time really worth, if you do both for free?

And nicci, I do it every day. What size oven are you using that it takes a whole day to make that few cakes? I know you guys use a veeerrryy small portion guideline, so I don't see where those 100 servings are taking up your whole oven. It's not like you're giving them a big piece of cake.

Maybe the extra money you expect for your time is for the guilt you suffer from for charging so much.

You don't know jack sh*t about cake.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #42 of 92

not only are you giving cakes away for FREE, but you are giving them ENORMOUS portion sizes! 1x2 is generally considered 'industry standard' which means it has been used for many many years!

so...i guess even the professional artists are doing it all wrong

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #43 of 92
Quote:

I dont know what is your issue..but me giving my free time to teach people the little things I know is worth all the effort I take from my free time. Seems you are a very hateful person, and that is sad..

Yeah I work really hard, I do videos for people for free, I sometimes I am a 2 am answering emails. I dont get much for helping people other than to know they get skills to move forward in life.

I share what I know, and I do it in good will, I dont critizice people and I really hate to be rude. I am honest and I work hard. I have people that help me at work and no, I dont get $100. dollars an hours. We have cakes that have to feed the baker the decorator the store the electricity, etc etc.

I you feel the need to be rude, go ahead...I hope that you get your kudos from that..I get nothing from insulting people...I much prefer to help them get through when they have questions and if I know the answer, to take a few seconds to answer.

I love CC, and I love cake decorating..I dont understand why you have to come and insult people for no reason..I have lupus and dont need to stress by people that seem to find joy in making trouble...

Edna

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:54pm
post #44 of 92
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #45 of 92
Quote:

... What size oven are you using that it takes a whole day to make that few cakes? I know you guys use a veeerrryy small portion guideline, so I don't see where those 100 servings are taking up your whole oven. It's not like you're giving them a big piece of cake.

I agree, we are not giving them cake like some people who undercut the industry they are purchasing cake for fair market value.

mariahrose17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahrose17 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:56pm
post #46 of 92
Quote:

LOL!

Boo to trolls...I'm certainly a lurker, but shame on people who come to a place just to talk shit. Bah!

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

... What size oven are you using that it takes a whole day to make that few cakes? I know you guys use a veeerrryy small portion guideline, so I don't see where those 100 servings are taking up your whole oven. It's not like you're giving them a big piece of cake.

I agree, we are not giving them cake like some people who undercut the industry they are purchasing cake for fair market value.

I agree with this...

I dont think is the size of the oven what counts..is the quality of the work...But I work in a custom cake place, and the oven is a good size..

Edna

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #48 of 92

let me guess cake and bake you been working at a grocery store for 30 years. Hate to tell you grocery stores aren't real bakeries, 30 years at a grocery store equals about maybe 2 weeks of actual decorating experience.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #49 of 92

Edna, {{{hugs}}} and ignore her you are great for doing what you do...

This person is obviously a troll and if not, then definitely an instigator that has issues way beyond rationalizing with.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #50 of 92
Quote:

let me guess cake and bake you been working at a grocery store for 30 years. Hate to tell you grocery stores aren't real bakeries, 30 years at a grocery store equals about maybe 2 weeks of actual decorating experience.

lol...check the name..bake and cake...helper!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #51 of 92
Quote:

I was thinking she maybe works at WalMart...we all know how WalMart cares more about speed and quantity than quality. That would explain the attitude about prices and lack of knowledge about how long it takes to create a well decorated wedding cake, but it does not explain the high-horse superiority vibe. That's just bad manners.

Edna, you do gorgeous work, and we are so privileged you are willing to share your methods with us. Thank you so much!

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

This person is obviously a troll and if not, then definitely an instigator that has issues way beyond rationalizing with.

Thanks for the hugs!..Im ok..I havent done anything wrong.. I think people know me here in CC well enough to know I come here to help and share.. I dont know it all, but what I know and God has given to me I will gladly share.. At the end of the day.. I have a clear consicence..
Better than that..I will still help and share..

There are so many people out there that appreciate the help than those who feel the need to trash it..To each is own..

Edna

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #53 of 92

cakeandbakehelper888..........I'm really not sure what your "beef" with edna is but let me just tell you that you won't find one other member here that will ever take your side.

Take my advice and don't come back to this site again.....you and people like you are not welcome or wanted here.

Believe me, loving J.Lennon and The Beatles is where our common likes begin and finish, we have NOTHING in common. thumbsdown.gif

Edna please don't let this person break your wonderful, loving and giving spirit. You are the most unselfish, kind person that I have ever had the honor to "virtually" meet. Your tutorials have been so helpful to me and many thousand other decorators.

I think this person is just very very jealous of your talent, it's too bad that she/he wasn't smart enough to realize that you would have helped him/her learn just about anything.........he/she has blown any chance of that now.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #54 of 92

Wow, cake-and-bake-whoever-you-are. What a piece of work you are to come on here and criticize one of the most talented and giving CC members here.

I double dog dare you to post some pictures of your two hour cake masterpieces.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:21pm
post #55 of 92

So here is the link to cakeandbakehelper's other post here today...........sounds like an irate customer has signed up and found her way to complain about our pricing. This is why I don't use any of my business info on here.........you just never know who's lurking.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623685&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

She's no cake designer, she's a consumer, I'd bet my Agbay on it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:21pm
post #56 of 92

Wow. The "troll" is obviously a discouraged bride or someone who is on a mission to gripe about cake decorators. She has obviously never done a real cake before.

I start buttercream cakes at $3/serving and fondant at $4/serving. That's just for basic tiers with a ribbon or very little decoration. $350-$400 is exactly what I'd charge for the OP cake. I live just outside of a big city. I'm "too expensive" for alot of people but on the other hand not as expensive as the reputable cake shops, so I feel I'm pretty much just right. I offer far more than what the regular bakeries offer so that also comes with a bit more cost.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

Thanks for the hugs!..Im ok..I havent done anything wrong.. I think people know me here in CC well enough to know I come here to help and share.. I dont know it all, but what I know and God has given to me I will gladly share.. At the end of the day.. I have a clear consicence..
Better than that..I will still help and share..

There are so many people out there that appreciate the help than those who feel the need to trash it..To each is own..

Edna

The funny thing is I get people from Japan, filipines, Italy France.. People with no money thanking me for the few things I posted. Some people live in rural countries, lots of them don't have the money.

I have people that send me messages telling me that my tutorials have helped then get through crisis after a hurracaine, or accidents..

I do the tutorials for this people, fills my heart with happiness to know that what I can share made someones day brighter..

MONEY WONT PAY FOR THAT!... That makes my heart pump!..It tells me im doing something for someone...and that...makes me happy...

EVEN MORE HAPPIER THAN IF I CHARGED A $100 AN HOUR...wich I dont!

Believe me..I get more people like you that will lift my spirits with a Thanks you than one that will want to be rude..
I appreciate the goodness in peoples heart, and I will never take that for granted...

Edna thumbs_up.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #58 of 92

She obviously has nothing else to say!

mommabeaver25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabeaver25 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #59 of 92

Okay guys that's enough! Thank you all for answering my post I know know what to price it for. This post has gotten out of hand and I have requested them to close it. Thanks.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

So here is the link to cakeandbakehelper's other post here today...........sounds like an irate customer has signed up and found her way to complain about our pricing. This is why I don't use any of my business info on here.........you just never know who's lurking.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623685&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

She's no cake designer, she's a consumer, I'd bet my Agbay on it.

icon_lol.gif...She really is on the hunt to create issues..I just read that post..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%