Fondant Ribbon - Getting It Straight

Decorating By kanchaser55 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm by drakegore

kanchaser55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanchaser55 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding in a couple weeks and CANNOT find ribbon to match the bridesmaid dresses, which is what was requested. The ribbon is supposed to go around the bottom of the tiers.

Can anyone tell me if it would be crazy to tackle making the ribbon out of fondant? (I haven't done this before...only made bows).

Also, how in the world do you keep your lines straight and keep them from sagging or lengthening as you apply the fondant? Do you use something special to cut them? How do you pick them up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

6 replies
Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 7

I can't answer all your questions but getting a ribbon cutter would definitely help cutting it evenly
check out this one: http://www.intotheoven.com/p1354/FMM-Multi-Ribbon-Cutter/product_info.html
good luck!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't done fondant ribbons on a cake but i have seen them done on cake shows. They cut them with the ribbon/pastry cutter, so they are nice and even. Then you roll it up like a roll of bubble gum. Starting at the back of the cake slowly unroll and apply the fondant ribbon. This helps to maintain the shape the the ribbon during application. hTH.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

ditto as above

a little tylose makes it eaiser to.

pm me for more info

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 7

Exactly what sweetcravings said... Also, I dont roll the fondant super thin.

TammyH

cakesthatrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesthatrock Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 7

I use the wiltons ribbon cutter. I have made ribbon for my cakes and bows using this cutter. It is really not hard to do. I would play around with some fondant and a pan or a cake dummy to get the feel. I think you will find it fairly easy to do! You can buy the wiltons ribbon cutter at HobbyLobby, AC Moore, Jo Anns, and Micheals, don`t forget to print out your 40% coupon before you go.
Good Luck!
Aundrea

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 7

hi,

an alternative to buying a ribbon cutter if you cannot find one locally is to use a rotary cutter and a sanitized ruler which are things most of us probably already have on hand icon_smile.gif. don't use if they have been used for crafts other than fabric for food safety reasons.

use the ruler as your cutting guide for the width of the ribbon, placing the edge of the rotary right up against the ruler (the ruler i have at home is the perfect width for ribbons). then you can use the edge of your ruler to give you nice straight edges to run a tracing wheel (about 1.00 at walmart or jo-ann's) 1/8" or so from the edge.

i let my ribbons sit for a few minutes before applying them to help them keep their shape. when i made chocolate ribbons and i was trying to avoid any stress stretch marks when i went to curve them round my round cake, i cut them and then draped them over the cake pan until i applied them.

nothing very professional about doing it this way, lol, but it works.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%