More Fondant Help?!?!?

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm by Baking_Booth

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

I covered my cake in fondant and now I'm worried. Will my fondant dry out and get gross before it's eaten?

Also, what do you use to attach fondant accents to your fondant covered cakes?

Thanks!!!

7 replies
vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 8

It will just sort of dry on the outside, so that if you touch it, it won't leave a finger mark....but don't go poking it! It will be soft inside so it can be cut.

Use either a BIT of water or Royal Icing, or Tylose glue... I can't remember the water:cmc ratio, so maybe do a search on it and there will be a thread.

Baking_Booth Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the tips!!! Now how do you get the extra powdered sugar off? icon_confused.gif

evern83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evern83 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #4 of 8

I had excess powdered sugar on the cake I made today and gently brushed it with a paintbrush to get it off. Seemed to work ok.

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 8

next time, try to only use powdered sugar on the underneath surface, not the surface that is going to show. It prevents that dull look!

On the current one, use paintbrush (or big makeup brush) to brush away excess, then use an extra piece of fondant to rub over the surface. It will get some of its shine back.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:04am
post #6 of 8

You can also rub a small amount of shortening over it with a soft paper towel. This will absorb the sugar and give it gloss back. The shortening will absorb itself into the fondant.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:23am
post #7 of 8

The Tylose glue works best for attaching fondant accents to fondant for me.

1/4 (heaping) teaspoon dissolved in 1/2 cup water.

I like to bring the water to boil remove from heat then sprinkle in the tylose powder and stir til dissolved.

Baking_Booth Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%