Cake Balls On Sticks?

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm by SUELA

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 10

Hello, Has anyone ever made cake balls and put them on sticks? I want to make them for a kids party and just did a small test batch. They seem to be holding up right now but a few have slid down the stick. My son just ate on too and as he was eating it slid down the stick. I was just wondering do they stay on the sticks or is a cake ball just too heavy to put on a stick. I would have to travel with them so I don't know if I'm attempting something that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks!

9 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 10

Those are cake pops. I have seen a great tutorial on another site here...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/549/forums/read/8017705/Detailed_Tutorial_Walkthrough_With_Pics_For_Cake_Pops_How_To_Dip_Video

It's on CafeMom icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 10

^^ i keep getting 'you do not have permission to view this forum'

do you have another link, perhaps?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 10

OK her is a link to the vid

and here is everything else...

These Instructions are for a batch made with a 9x13 cake or equivilent ammount of cake. (Two 8" rounds etc) But the pops can certainly be made with any amount of cake!

SUPPLIES:

2 squares of styrofoam (Or anything to fasten your pops in)
Lollipop sticks or pieces of thin dowel.
Candy melts of your color choice & Other decorations (sprinkles etc)
Cake & Thick Frosting (Homemade or Canned)
Cellophane Bags & Ribbon for packaging.
1. Bake a 9x13 cake. You can trim the crusts off if you'd like but you don't have to. If you do though, remember to use less frosting.

2. Crumble cake either in a food processor or by hand, as long as it's crumbled to a find crumb.

3. Add your frosting. Cream cheese works well and tastes yummy! Homemade or canned works fine. Personally, I like the Betty Crocker Whipped frostings for cake pops. I think they work best and the rainbow bits look SO cute! You will need about 1/2 a can (1cup). Mix together. You want this mixture to be moist but not too sticky. If a pasty cake layer is left on your hand after rolling a ball, it's too moist. Add more cake if you can. If the balls are too moist, they will come off the stick. When you roll the ball, it should be firm and hold together well. If it cracks, just pinch the crack together and roll lightly.

4. Melt your candy melts over a double boiler (easily made with a small saucepan and bowl) or in the microwave. (I've used chocolate chips too and loved the result but they are tricky) If you use the microwave, melt 5 seconds at a time, stirring inbetween to prevent hot spots and burning. Get a ziploc piping bag ready with candy melt colors of your choice for a drizzle decoration by putting the melted chocolate in the bag and cutting the corner off. (Tiny cut!) Line up your decorations and dipping chocolate like an assembly line.

5. Roll your cake mixture into balls about an inch to an inch and a half. If they're too big, they will slide down the stick. Place them on wax paper. Dip the end of your lollipop stick in your melted chocolate and lightly press it into a cake ball about halfway in. Stick the "pop" in your styrofoam. Once you have done that you can put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Any longer and they will be too cold. The chocolate will melt too fast and crack later.

6. Remove from freezer and get your other styrofoam board ready. Ready to dip???? Well ya better be! hehe... Put your pop into your melted chocolate on a bit of an angle and turn the pop slowly, spooning the chocolate over it. After coating, tap the stick on the edge of the bowl lightly and turn slowly to tap off excess chocolate. When that last glob drips off, slowly turn your pop while lifting it upright. Decorate it with candy drizzle (in the ziploc), or by dipping it sprinkles or sprinkling them on. This is the fun part where you can come up with anything! I've put homemade chocolates on them and they were a hit, although very delicate in the bags! Put the decorated pop in the new styrofoam and into the freezer. Continue decorating and adding them to the freezer styrofoam. They will dry at room temperature if going back and forth to the freezer is too inconvenient. This step is shown in my video at the bottom of this post. icon_smile.gif

7. Wrap with cellophane bags and tie with ribbon. I love putting them in baskets with styrofoam in the bottom and filling the spaces with the flowers. It looks beautiful!

STORAGE: Like cake, these can be stored at room temperature for a few days, they will stay longer and taste fresher in the refrigerator though. And here's something I just discovered yesterday when my daughter and I ate the pops I made in my video yesterday! These are DELICIOUS FROZEN! We had fudge cake with Betty Crocker rainbow bit icing dipped in white candy melts.. They tasted like frozen ice cream sandwiches! They were possibly one of the best frozen treats I ever had! SOOOOOOOOO YUMMY!!!!!!

I hope suppermama is ok with me posting this here.. she is SUPER SWEET! and as you can tell went out of her way with the help of her darling camera man to share this with fellow CafeMom-ers I wonder if you are in here Suppermama!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 10

type cake pops into yahoo, then check out the blog by Bakerella. She gives step by step and these are the cutiest. HTH

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 10

Check out Bakerella's site also, she has a lot of cake pops... her Hello Kitty ones are toooo cute!

countygirl28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countygirl28 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 10

If you check out www.bakerella.com she does these a lot. They are really cute. Good luck!

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all so much! What a huge help!!

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 10

I know everybody already mentioned Bakerella, but I thought I might throw in the link so you wouldn't have to go searching.

http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/04/make-your-cupcakes-pop.html

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 10

Check out http://bakerella.blogspot.com/...she does some sweet (pardon the pun) with cake balls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%