*cue The Angelic Choir*

Decorating By luvsfreebies72 Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm by Franluvsfrosting

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 39

My new KA has arrived!!

woohoo! Happy St Pat's to ME icon_biggrin.gif

sidenote: I had 1 box of white cake mix sitting in the pantry for who knows how long, so I made the WASC cake I have read so much about on here and HOLY SCMOLY that's pretty darn good schtuff! thumbs_up.gif

38 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 39

Congrats on the new KA. I was baking the other day and thinking how much I love mine.
Best appliance in the kitchen!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 39

wow you are having a "lucky" day icon_razz.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 39

I got mine for Christmas, and I'm in love! It makes things so much easier...no more standing there for 7 minutes while I mix royal icing, no more kneading MMF, no more trying to hold the mixer while I add powdered sugar, and now I can make double and triple batches with ease! It's just FABULOUS! And, it's really easy to clean. My mom had an Oster mixer as I was growing up, and it was really hard to clean with all the little buttons, ect. Congrats!

nannie Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 39

I've never don MMF in my KA does it really work?

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

no more standing there for 7 minutes while I mix royal icing, no more kneading MMF, no more trying to hold the mixer while I add powdered sugar

the story of my life

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 39

Hooray for you!!!!!!!! party.gif

mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I love it for this! Keep in mind I have the 6 quart Pro, which is the most powerful, I believe. Anyway, I sift in about 1/2 the PS, then add the melted MM, then add more PS. I'm still working on getting the consistency perfect, because so far it's come out a little dry-it doesn't take the whole bag of PS, but I'm still playing with exactly how much to use. I use the dough hook to mix it and it kneads it perfectly smooth. I don't have to do any kneading at all! It's great!

nannie Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 39

JGMB

you're in Darian? I'm in Evanston....... do you just live at the wilton store?

are you going it ICES at Pheasant Ridge?

never known a CC member from around chicago

nannie Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 39

I've heard that you have to coat the bowl and hook with crisco to keep it all from sticking, is that so

mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer702

Quote:

no more standing there for 7 minutes while I mix royal icing, no more kneading MMF, no more trying to hold the mixer while I add powdered sugar

the story of my life

You need to get one! I don't know if you'll be able to find a good sale now, but maybe...I got mine in Dec when Amazon was running a deal...it was $270, plus I got $50 back from a mail in rebate. I never thought I could afford to spend over $400, but when it was $220, I jumped at the opportunity! Knowing what I know now, I would probably sell my first born to be able to afford my KA!

mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 39
Quote:

I've heard that you have to coat the bowl and hook with crisco to keep it all from sticking, is that so

I don't. Some sticks, but it's not enough of a problem to force me to go to all that work.

nannie Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 39

thank you mandy, I'll try it next time

icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #14 of 39

been trying to talk hubbyin to getting me a new one or at least a refurbished one .. loaned mine to .. someone recently off and on and well i can tell its been worked hard. have had it for 14 years. never been serviced (yikes i know..but dont know anywhere near me to do it (zips 83544 for those who are good at finding that kinda thing lol) whats your new one look like? i've been eyeing that brushed nickle or the..oh can't find the color, its the non shiney one

mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

been trying to talk hubbyin to getting me a new one or at least a refurbished one .. loaned mine to .. someone recently off and on and well i can tell its been worked hard. have had it for 14 years. never been serviced (yikes i know..but dont know anywhere near me to do it (zips 83544 for those who are good at finding that kinda thing lol) whats your new one look like? i've been eyeing that brushed nickle or the..oh can't find the color, its the non shiney one

Ya, I have the brushed nickel. I couldn't commit to a bolder color because you never know when I'll get a wild hair and paint my kitchen or even move!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:

JGMB

you're in Darien? I'm in Evanston....... do you just live at the wilton store?

Yes, I do!!! The clerks probably think that I'm a really busy professional decorator -- if they'd see my "creations", they'd know better!!

I was in there 3 times last week. icon_redface.gif It's just too convenient -- about 4 or 5 minutes from home. I can hardly wait for their tent sale in May!!!!

GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 39

i bought my first one in the nice dark blue 14 ish years ago.was doing everything blue back then. long story.old house rental etc. wood pannel walls, needed color!

now i just want the non shiney one because well for several reasons lol the shiney one i have now is hard to keep clean! lol that and i just like the contemporary - goes with everything, soothing etc feel to the brushed nickle

jer702 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer702

Quote:

the story of my life

You need to get one! I don't know if you'll be able to find a good sale now, but maybe...I got mine in Dec when Amazon was running a deal...it was $270, plus I got $50 back from a mail in rebate. I never thought I could afford to spend over $400, but when it was $220, I jumped at the opportunity! Knowing what I know now, I would probably sell my first born to be able to afford my KA!

LOL I'll keep that in mind.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 39

got the pro 5 plus series.... 450 beeee-u-tiful watts of power! I got it in white, as that's what was on sale. I could care less about the color, as long as it had the watts! I killed my hand mixer on Sunday making a triple batch of RI icon_lol.gif I cannot WAIT to make some BC tonight!!

For those wanting one for a steal, check out the online outlet (I bought it refurbished) and go to retailmenot dot com for a coupon code. I found one there for 30% everything in the online store and it worked (!!) So I got this beauty for $165, including my tax. SWEET!

I think I need a stage and lighting system built for it...

GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #20 of 39

if i could get one on an ubber sale and orange was the only color i'd go with that too lol but if i pay full or close to, i want what i want hehe

jer702 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #21 of 39

Thanks luvsfreebies72 i'll take a look later tonight.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:21am
post #22 of 39

After my first paid wedding cake I treated myself to the Copper Pearl Professional 6 quart. She is absolutely beautiful and does make MMF a dream. If I have cooking spray handy I just hose the bowl with that and the MMF doesn't stick. It's also great for IMBC because the metal bowl doesn't hold the heat like the plastic one on my Bosch (which I also love).

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #23 of 39

I got a KA for Christmas. Was so thrilled hubby bought me the Apple Green one (my fav color). Then I found out he paid over $100 more than he would have for the same one in white. icon_eek.gif

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:32am
post #24 of 39
Quote:

I have always made my MMF in my KA. It is an amazing thing! You will have to knead in the last cup or so of powdered sugar by hand though.

Just grease your bowl and beater blade first!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #25 of 39

I just broke her in on some buttercream

woohoooooooooooooo

I think i'll name her Blanche

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #26 of 39

I have a brushed nickel buffer one, and a white one of the first series (Classic?). The white one's either going to a friend who's beggin for it or on Craigslist. I love my baby. Hopefully I can convince DH to let me get a pro one day. Or that little Hobart I saw at the restaurant supply! He's going to paint my silver one for me.

GenGen Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:46pm
post #27 of 39

i plan on keeping my current one if i get a new one someday. i believe in having a back up. or heck on days i need to do frosting and baking same time. can get botha going hehe

jer702 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #28 of 39

Thats it, i'm texting my hubby right now and telling him that he can't enter the house later unless he has a KA in his hands. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #29 of 39

Buuahaahaa!!! Blanche! Welcome to the family, Blanche!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #30 of 39

I got myself one when my family had some horrible things going on and I needed something to look forward to. I did qvc on easy pay as I would never be able to afford all at one time. I fell in love with it still in the box. It is apple red (funny same color as my dress for my sisters wedding) and was given the name Sugar, Sugar, Baby. I know odd but it sees lots of sugar, the real kind and from me... LOL....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%