A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:28am
post #24091 of 25877

AMorning all - thanks for the link Maisie - everything is useful as today's the day I start work on the bike! Sian the castle is wonderful. How lovely. Will check in with you all later! Kathy

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:50am
post #24092 of 25877

Kathy, hope all goes well with the bike. I'm sure you'll do a fab job on it!

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 9:14am
post #24093 of 25877

AMorning all. :-)

Happy birthday Ellie. Siany that castle is gorgeous, she's going to love it! Why are you only "mostly" happy with it? I'd be delighted if I could make something like that!

Good luck with the bike Kathy but I'm sure you won't need it. Is Sophie helping you with this one?

I'm dreading having to get a new telly chezza, we've still got a big old fashioned boxy one. Leah loves the telly, she sits as close as she can to it, turns it on/off/up/down/over etc. trouble is she can be a bit heavy handed and I'd be worried she'd push a light flat screen telly over. And I don't like them much tbh, I don't like the sound on them.

I'm joining the sore hands club, mine are terrible, across all three sets of knuckles and up and down the sides of most of my fingers and thumbs. They always get worse when I make a cake, it's all the hand washing isn't it. They're very sore at the mo, they feel like they're cracking more every time I bend them.

Jean I meant to say I liked your hubby's background on three sides idea. :-)

maisie73 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 9:15am
post #24094 of 25877

AOops, hadn't finished. How's Sarah today nanny and how are you?

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 9:54am
post #24095 of 25877

AHi everyone,

Well Sarah is so much better to the point that she felt well enough to go back to her flat, he just left but we going to take her stuff down as I didn't want her over doing things, then pop her to tesco for a few things, me on the other hand can hardly talk, bad cough, etc etc, not gonna bore you with the details.

Just covered my cake for tomorrow, thankfully a very simple birthday cake.

Have a lovely day Siany with your daughters birthday.

Hope everyone is ok, i've been so consumed with my own problems I haven't asked about anyone else's.

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 10:05am
post #24096 of 25877

AGlad Sarah's feeling s little better nanny and is managing to venture out.

DaysCakes Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 11:48am
post #24097 of 25877

Well that took FOREVER!  I have spent the last two hours hunting for all my bits and pieces that I'm going to need.  Maisie - no, Sophie isn't helping me because she has a very big exam on Tuesday.  However, I'm not best pleased as she's been using all my stuff (= our stuff!) which I don't mind but I do mind when it isn't where I expect to find it.  How grumpy am I?  Shouldn't be because I weighed myself and despite our big Thai meal last weekend I have managed to lose another 2lbs!  Yayy - 11 in total. Am waiting for the bubble to burst!  Lol. 

Just come on here to see what you're all up to - glad Sarah's on the mend Barbara.  Sian - I hope you have a great day with your family - all those birthdays!  You are so good - my family got absolutely no cakes at all!

I feel I'm procrastinating.....must start that bike....must start that bike......

maisie73 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 1:56pm
post #24098 of 25877

AGlad Sarah's feeling better nanny. And dw, you've had a bad week, we all have them, we understand don't we girls? What you doing for tomorrow's cake then?

Kathy I don't know if I should reply to you, I don't want to be responsible for you putting it off even more! I'm the queen of procrastination! (I never did get around to my ironing last night.) My mother tidied my cake stuff up just before Christmas while she was babysitting. I couldn't find my plaque cutter the other day and I couldn't ring her and ask her cos she thought she wasn't having a cake this year! If you're a bit grumpy is it because you're on a diet? Grumpy is an understatement when I'm on one! Now go and make that bike!!!!

maisie73 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 1:58pm
post #24099 of 25877

AMeant to say well done tho Kathy, 11lb is impressive. :-)

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 2:19pm
post #24100 of 25877

AHello my lovely's :-)

This is a really quick post as just desperate to show my two cakes, I will promise to read through and catch up properly later.

Great cakes by everyone though as usual since I've last been on. The marshmallow man is amazing !

Hope everyone well, now these cakes are done hubby wants family time so going to have to post and run. Sorry :-(

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324380/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324381/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Still unsure of the shape of Minnie head and redid her ears twice lol. The car cake was a request not to have board covered so please don't shoot me lol x Have a good day peeps and hope Sarah us getting better Nanny, and any other poorly peeps getting better too x

lellylemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lellylemondrop Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 4:07pm
post #24101 of 25877

ALovely cakes jo love Minnie .

Siany wow, great castle cake, has to be the best I've seen to date!

Glad your daughters feeling better nanny.

DaysCakes Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 4:57pm
post #24102 of 25877

Aaarrrghhh!  $%£&ing bike!!!!  Next time you're tempted by thinking "how hard can it be"?  Think....."hard....very hard".  I thought I'd broken my extruder (which nearly broke my hand).  Had to wait for hubby to come home to sort it out.  By this time, I have had enough.  I couldn't do the spokes how I wanted with silver florist wire as it moved about too much.  Third attempt now waiting for it to dry - I cut two circles out of gelatine sheets and glued spaghetti to the gelatine.  I hope I can paint it when it's dry as never used gelatine like that before.  I plan to stick the tyre/wheel on the top so I don't think it's going to be 3D - plus I just think it's going to be such a worry delivering it and I haven't even stuck it all together yet!  Maisie - I am moody today but I don't think it's because I'm on a diet (I'm always on a diet!  So maybe I'm always moody then.....).  Oh well - better get on and ruin some more.  I might do the spokes again too.....:(

Kathy

DaysCakes Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 4:57pm
post #24103 of 25877

Sorry Jo - that was all about me.....I missed your cakes they are really lovely!

Kathy

petitecat Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 5:12pm
post #24104 of 25877

Jo, those are fabulous cakes. My favourite is Minnie mouse and I love the way she's holding the number one. Wonder why some people don't want fondant covered boards?

Nanny, glad Sarah's much better.

The birthday boy was very happy with his cake. No mention of spider man! The manager of the soft play thought it was a toy lol

petitecat Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 5:14pm
post #24105 of 25877

Kathy, hope the 3rd attempt works!

lellylemondrop Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 5:23pm
post #24106 of 25877

AKathy what about sweet cigarettes for the spokes? Just a thought.

DaysCakes Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 5:50pm
post #24107 of 25877

AThanks lelly but I think they're too fat. Do they still sell them? I am having a rethink as the gelatine is softening (as it should so why did I think it wouldn't). I am going to go back to wires I think. Might be better after I've eaten!! I think that Maisie is right after all. Kathy

lellylemondrop Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 7:37pm
post #24108 of 25877

AThey do still sell them Kathy but I think you're right they probably will be a bit fat. Maybe wire is the way to go . Good luck!

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:19pm
post #24109 of 25877

ALovely cakes Jo, I think Minnie Mouse looks great.

Kathy and Maisie you've reminded me that I really need to tidy all my cake things they are such a mess and my cupboard of supplies is overflowing. I really need to put them in plastic storage boxes I think. It is on my to do list I just keep putting it off.

Kathy I've no advice to add sorry but I know you're going to do a fab cake. Also well done on your weight loss, I've lost 7 and a half pounds so far, third weigh in tomorrow it's pure torture though resisting all the takeaways everyone in my household has at the weekend.

[quote name="petite-cat"" url="/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/24060#post_7571986"]Jo, those are fabulous cakes. My favourite is Minnie mouse and I love the way she's holding the number one. Wonder why some people don't want fondant covered boards?

Nanny, glad Sarah's much better.

The birthday boy was very happy with his cake. No mention of spider man! The manager of the soft play thought it was a toy lol [/quote]

I've thought the same Jean, I really don't know why people don't want the boards covering and curious to find out why.

I've no cakes on the horizon anytime soon and I'm missing baking but I don't want the baked goods in the house while dieting. My bake up something as a treat for valentines day next month.

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:53pm
post #24110 of 25877

AJo the cakes look great

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 11:47pm
post #24111 of 25877

Chezzabelle - I'd gladly be 11st 7lb right now!!! 

I am stressing so much.  Making a shoe - and a spare! - for a cake for next week.

Last time I did one, it broke whilst I was delivering it.  I ended up in tears in the customer's kitchen!  Oh the shame!!!!!  I felt so bad.  That was only a 20 minute drive to Loughton...  this one is being delivered an hour away in Kent!  I did manage to repair it, but I was gutted it happened.

Fortunately I have a cake-maker friend who lives about 20 minutes away from the venue, so if the worst DOES happen, I have a emergency repair bolt hole!!!  But it will knock my confidence so badly if it breaks.

I'm going to be as patient as I can and I've let the heels thoroughly dry.  I've glued the sole on - with a support underneath it - and I'm letting that dry overnight before I do anything else.

Please send cake fairy dust my way!!!!!

nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 6:01am
post #24112 of 25877

AMorning all, early one for me, coughed my lungs up all night and seen every hr go by,grrrrr.

Awwww, bless you suzanne, is the shoe a high shoe? Is that why it broke? Or The Stress Of The Journey On Something So delicate? Could you assemble there and wrap it in bubble wrap?

I'm stressing to, got to make a cake for thurs, with a man sitting down playing a guitar, not even stated it yet, think with one thing and another I haven't felt like doing anything.

Then next week on the 5th Feb I have a shoe and a bag to make, not thought about that either.

No doubt I will get back into it.

Jo, love the cakes, especially Minnie.

How is the bike going now Kathy? Still giving you some grief?

How is everyone else?

nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 6:03am
post #24113 of 25877

ASorry Jean, your ghost buster marshmallow man is incredible, bet you dint want to cut it?

petitecat Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 8:37am
post #24114 of 25877

AMorning all!

Suzanne, sending cake fairy dust your way!

Thanks Nanny. My friend sent a photo of the cake cut last night. They didn't want to cut but fortunately the urge to eat it won! I'm not surprised you're not in a cake mood. You've had a worrying week.

its my best friend's birthday on wed. I'll have to try and figure out what to put on it/ how to decorate it.

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 8:45am
post #24115 of 25877

ARight an attempt at catching up..

Crikey Nanny you are up early ! Sorry you are now not well too. Is your son ok now I hope things better x Looking forward to seeing your guitar man :-)

Suzanne I'm confident your shoe will be great, have faith in your ability like we do x

Chezza oooo new sofas eh, I wish we could too but no chance with all money going on bricks atm lol.

Loubee definitely treat yourself on valentines why not !

Petitecat not sure on the non covered board i must admit I hated doing it at first but now I'm converted ! The lady with the car cake was only fused on the cake !

Kathy good luck with that bike sounds stressful... stay calm and I'm sure it will all come together quickly. Can't wait to see it !

Siany happy belated birthday to Sebastian, his cake was lovely what a lucky boy ! Loved the castle cake too looks huge how big was it ? I might attempt one for my daughters birthday in June !

Maisie hope your poorly hands recover soon, loved your mam ' s cake so pretty pleased she loved it too x

Hi to everyone else !

Thanks for the comments on my cakes btw, I had a message from the car cake my friend sent me this pic of her dad he was thrilled with it !

Got to go to the party today with the Minnie cake so another fun packed day lol ;-)

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324692/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 10:27am
post #24116 of 25877

AOne happy chappie with his cake isn't he? Love photos like that!

Who knows Jo, I take everyday as it comes. This happens every few mths.

Well this is the easiest cake and if i'm honest not my best, she didn't give me anything apart from a simple cake, the exact same as the 2nd tier of their wedding cake, 3 layer choc sponge with white choc ganache , then Nutella ganache, they didn't get to have any at the wedding. [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324703/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 10:39am
post #24117 of 25877

ANice nanny doesn't look like a quick job or not your best either great job

petitecat Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 12:37pm
post #24118 of 25877

Nanny, lovely cake. It's strange isn't it when we're given free reign we run out of ideas!

nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 12:40pm
post #24119 of 25877

AYep, completely stumped with what to do Jean.

DaysCakes Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 1:09pm
post #24120 of 25877

AI'd swap with you Barbara lol. I have a circus of a cake to do. So much going on - I am getting stressed out as there's a lot riding on it as there's gonna be a big retirement presentation with this blinkin cake at the centre of it. Right gonna see if I can get the spokes into the wheels now. Speak to you all later! Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%