A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:33am
post #19741 of 25877

Good morning everyone,

Spireite cakes are great! To do the map you have to order an edible image of it and then place it on top of a cake. You could paint the image directly onto the SP, but the image looks complicated and detailed so I think edible images are the best option in that case.

Siany, so jealous you've been to cake camp! I can't afford it. Are you allowed to tell us how you made the structure for the ice cream cake? I love mayen! During the free Paul Bradford promo I watched her make the rocket cake. The structure was full of pipes and flanges etc. Did they take the photos for you? I've been wanting to buy those backgrounds, they look great! Did they use any special ligthing? Sorry for the million and one questions!

Busy week this week. Got friends coming round with their kids in two lots today so got to shop for some grub for the hungry monsters. Then tomorrow I want to be able to make some figures for my halloween cake. Bit complicated this week what with our mini trip to Warwick overnight Wed-Thurs so tomorrow is packing day too. Have to bake and cover the cake with ganache, buttercream and SP on friday Argh. Got to be super organised, difficult with little one being home for half term!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:46am
post #19742 of 25877

A

Original message sent by petitecat

Good morning everyone,

Spireite cakes are great! To do the map you have to order an edible image of it and then place it on top of a cake. You could paint the image directly onto the SP, but the image looks complicated and detailed so I think edible images are the best option in that case.

Siany, so jealous you've been to cake camp! I can't afford it. Are you allowed to tell us how you made the structure for the ice cream cake? I love mayen! During the free Paul Bradford promo I watched her make the rocket cake. The structure was full of pipes and flanges etc. Did they take the photos for you? I've been wanting to buy those backgrounds, they look great! Did they use any special ligthing? Sorry for the million and one questions!

Busy week this week. Got friends coming round with their kids in two lots today so got to shop for some grub for the hungry monsters. Then tomorrow I want to be able to make some figures for my halloween cake. Bit complicated this week what with our mini trip to Warwick overnight Wed-Thurs so tomorrow is packing day too. Have to bake and cover the cake with ganache, buttercream and SP on friday Argh. Got to be super organised, difficult with little one being home for half term!

Mel, she was ok to teach, her finger was in a type of plaster cast and she was dosed up on pain meds. She said it had just gone number for the most part now, just putting in her gloves was an issue as you could see it hurt her.

Jean I'm sorry she does ask you not to say how the structure is done as you pay £300 to learn as have lots of people before and after you and it's not fair on the or you if you give it away for free. I feel bad for accidentally telling a lady yesterday, got over excited chatting to her. Oops

The structure is the same type of build as the robot one. I used a drill for the first time in my life yesterday.

The picture was taken with my phone. The bake drops are amazing and I am kicking myself for not grabbing one whilst I was there, I might see if I can call them and make a deal in ordering one with the discount. Was going to do it last night but I didn't have the code in my bag I was meant to.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 9:33am
post #19743 of 25877

Morning all, I have just spent ages catching up as haven't had a chance to get on all week. My mum now has me painting the whole of the downstairs of her house and wants the loft sorting before her kitchen island and new fireplace get delivered and then I have to put them up. Angel is off for half term and Mr Roxy is off work for a week, there is never any peace.

I will try to remeber what I but there's a lot to remember.

First of all lovely cakes everyone you are such a talented bunch.

Siany so jealous of you getting to go to cake camp.

Nanny I watched Claire Bowman on Create and craft a while ago and for the butterflies she mixed the pearlised lace mix with some of the white mix. I think I still have it recorded on my box so will try to find the amounts out for you.

Re the frozen figures I have ordered some for my mum's birthday cake but have decided I will try to make some and have the toy ones as a back up in case there no good. I am gong to start this week even though it is not her birthday until 29th nov as that gives me time to retry if I have to.

Maisie hope your Grandad is ok and I think Loubee said some of her elderly relatives were unwell. hope they are doing better to.

No that's it minds gone blank lol, I didn't do very well did I.

roxylee123 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 9:47am
post #19744 of 25877

Have just saw chocolate cake lace on the create and craft website, there is a cake lace show on on saturday maybe they will demo it.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 10:15am
post #19745 of 25877

Morning all - missed loads yesterday as I was on my phone - which is slowly giving up the ghost.  I didn't notice your cakes Spireite - sorry.  Nice cakes and that Sheffield Shares (???) one looks interesting.  I bet your friend loved it - even though I have no idea what that is!  (Happens a lot on here though - I am seriously out of touch).

Jo - I get what you mean about taking a break.  Mine lasted over 15 years though!  haha!  Now I feel I am back to the beginning again.  Learning loads of new stuff - when I stopped I had never even touched ganache - everything was jam and buttercream.  Loved your cake - I also think that it is special when the kiddies love their cakes so much that they cry - that came out wrong, but you know what I mean.

Hugs and best wishes to everyone's loved ones who are poorly.

Sian - amazing cake.  Well done - I don't think I could ever attempt a gravity cake even though I dream of doing one.  Cake camp sounds like the best place ever!  I think I will go when I retire.....only two years folks!

I'm reasonably sure that the Cake Lace site has lots of info on how to stiffen the lace - but if it isn't there, then it might be their FB page - I know I have seen it somewhere.......however, if you don't find what you are looking for then email them - I am sure somebody will have the answer.

Kathy

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:15pm
post #19746 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siany01 

Mel, she's lovely. Such a nice lady. I'm totally knackered now though but thought I'd add today's cake before going to bed.

That cake is fabulous...did everyone in the class do a similar anti gravity cake...or this specific design. :D

Siany01 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:43pm
post #19747 of 25877

AWe all did the same basic design but they all came out very different.

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3299399/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Spireite Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:53pm
post #19748 of 25877

A

Quote:

We all did the same basic design but they all came out very different.

They all look great...amazing doing these anti gravity cakes.....did I spot one with a candle sticking out at a right angle??? :)

roxylee123 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:59pm
post #19749 of 25877

Nanny I haven't got it on my box any more but found this video for you. She used the gold lace mix then bakes it, then she mixes the gold with the white lace mix for the second coat.

Siany fab cake, isn't it funny how everyone does the same basic design but they all come out with completely different. You did a great job on yours it's lovely.

roxylee123 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 2:02pm
post #19750 of 25877

The craft company are offering free delivery until midnight enter code   treatplease14  at the checkout.

Siany01 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 2:20pm
post #19751 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Spireite

Quote:

We all did the same basic design but they all came out very different.

They all look great...amazing doing these anti gravity cakes.....did I spot one with a candle sticking out at a right angle??? :)

You did yes, that was Wendy's she wanted to push the boundaries :)

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 3:21pm
post #19752 of 25877

AJust realised I forgot to say how lovely and cute Ellie the elephant was petite. Well done.

Jo hope this week goes well for you. Totally get you wanting a break from cakes though, it's time to take a break when you're not enjoying them as much and they're taking all your spare time up, especially when you're not getting full price for them. I've got the total opposite problem I've no customers and would love some. It's so annoying. Love your frozen cake it's beautiful.

Spirerite your cakes are all lovely well done. The Sheffield Spares one must have taken ages as there's so much detail on it well done.

Siany your cake is amazing well done sounds like you made the right decision about the course and it seems like you had a good weekend and learnt loads.

Katy that picture is breathtaking.

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 6:05pm
post #19753 of 25877

ASorry that should say Kathy not Katy

DaysCakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 7:25pm
post #19754 of 25877

Loubee it was breathtaking - very emotional if I'm honest. It really brings it home to you the scale of the loss. 

Kathy

petitecat Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 7:29pm
post #19755 of 25877

Hallo hallo cake people!

Had such a busy day hosting two lots of children! Really lovely though when the kiddies have a great time and laughing loads and playing :D I'm feeling knackered now though. I've got a bit of a cold so not really feeling v energetic at night. 

Siany, no worries I thought it might be information you'd be asked to keep to yourself :) Did you do the classes over consecutive days (gosh more questions!!! Sorry!!? Shame Mayen wasn't in top form- it's sporting of her to keep plowing on and teaching though!

Loubee, thanks! Ellie's joined us at the dining table ever since being made. Not sure where to put her! Same sentiment about the customers- where are they? Order from me dammit!! LOL (but seriously, order!!!).

Roxy, more painting! Hubby's been dropping hints about my doing more painting but I can't be a***ed! 

Tomorrow is I need to make fondant and figures for halloween cake. Keep forgetting to buy the friggin glucose from tesco. I've been twice already over the last few days and still forget every single time. What makes it worse is that I've written it down each time on my shopping list. I'm hopeless :(

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:14pm
post #19756 of 25877

AThanks roxy, had a look and I hope they turn out as good as hers.

Awww, Kathy, very moving to see this I bet?

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 12:53am
post #19757 of 25877

AHello, how are you all? Well I hope. I haven't read everything I've missed, I just wanted to pop on to tell anyone who might be interested that today's special value on QVC is a Kitchenaid K45. It's got lots of extras including the flex edge beater and it's the best price I've ever seen it on there. It's £328.92, free P&P available to pay in three monthly payments. Also their money back guarantee is extended now until 25th January. Oh and because it's heavy if you want to send it back they'll come and collect it so you won't lose a penny! Sorry if I sound like a QVC advert! I want to buy it and I've already got one!

I'm off to bed now, I will try to catch up soon but I'm so busy with poorly relatives and Leah off school, I haven't had much spare time lately.

Night night :-)

DaysCakes Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:34am
post #19758 of 25877

AAww Maisie - sorry to hear that your family is poorly. Was thinking about you. Oops morning cake mates - should have started with that. Does anyone remember seeing flavoured sugar paste at CI at all? I was looking for a vanilla or something like that as I have someone who hates the taste of sp and I remembered that I tried this flavoured one but I can't remember who did it. Do any of you flavour your paste yourselves? I did a small amount for cupcakes once (strawberry) but wasn't entirely happy with the end result.

Kathy

petitecat Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 7:39am
post #19759 of 25877

Morning all,

Sorry to hear you're very knackered Maisie. Hope things settle in a while for you and everyone gets better in your family x

Kathy, sorry never flavoured SP, not even the homemade ones (yet) which had a nice flavour from the marshmallows albeit very sweet!

roxylee123 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 8:04am
post #19760 of 25877

Morning :smile:

Maisie sorry to ear your family are still poorly, hope they pick up soon.

Kathy I have added vanilla to Sp when I coloured it black as the black made it taste funny, the vanilla helped but you couldn't really taste it just tasted better than without it.

If anyone is interested Amazon local are offering tickets to Paul Hollywood's live baking tour for £15.

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 8:06am
post #19761 of 25877

AKathy, I think Karen Davies does a vanilla flavoured SP and she will be at CI.

DaysCakes Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 8:56am
post #19762 of 25877

Lynne!  That's the one!!  Karen Davies - lol.  I forgot who it was - I can see the stand - the flavours were lovely.  I have never made MMF Jean - is it easy?  I used to make my own sugarpaste years ago but it was a mare and when I could get it in the supermarket I stopped making it.  My husband and several family members don't like to eat it so I thought I would get some but then mind freeze.....duh.  Thanks!

Kathy

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 9:01am
post #19763 of 25877

AHiya everyone, Haven't been on here in ages never seem to get 5 mins to myself anymore now I am doing the school run 3x a day. I was suppose to be baking my sons cake today but then realised it was Tuesday and not weds luckily had only lined the tin and not mixed anything up

Spireite Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 10:39am
post #19764 of 25877

AJust doing a bit of internet browsing...

Do a lot of you have your own cake stands?...I'm thinking ahead to next summer (sister's wedding) I think she wants a 12" square base cake...(actually she initially requested 14", but both me and my Mum said "no, that won't fit into our ovens!" )...so I've been looking at cake stands...do people on here have their own? I found one on ebay priced £30 with free collection...I'm also thinking silver would be the better colour...more versatile for future use. Is this price reasonable??

Spireite Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 10:40am
post #19765 of 25877

AUnfortunately there seems to be far more round cake stands than square stands!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 10:46am
post #19766 of 25877

It's easy enough to find 14" stands, but if for a 12" bottom tier, you'll need a 16" stand, to take into account the cake drum.  They're much harder (and a LOT more expensive) to find.

Spireite Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 11:00am
post #19767 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik 

It's easy enough to find 14" stands, but if for a 12" bottom tier, you'll need a 16" stand, to take into account the cake drum.  They're much harder (and a LOT more expensive) to find.

So a 14" stand would basically look daft??? Would it be better maybe buying 2 or 3 drums and staggering them at the bottom? I still need to sit down with her to see what sort of style she's after....she initially said informal....but now plans are being made and I have a feeling she's beginning to enjoy the planning :)

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 11:08am
post #19768 of 25877

AMorning All!

Hope everyone is having a good week so far, quiet on here so I'm guessing everyone is off having half term fun with little ones?

I'm busy prepping for another consult later today. Starting to look into alternative packing ideas for my sample boxes, really want to find some reasonably priced pretty parchment paper to wrap the cake slices in but I can't find any in the UK, all on US sites :/

Hmm hubby is off to Vegas next week, maybe I need to give him a shopping list.......:grin:

Spireite, sorry if I missed you already saying, but is your sister getting married at a wedding venue eg hotel etc? If so they usually have stands as part of wedding packages so you can ask them? Alternatively you can hire stands as well, my local ********** shop does so again that might be worth looking into?

Right, off to make some buttercream!

DaysCakes Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 11:32am
post #19769 of 25877

Hi Spireite - the venue where my last wedding cake was did not have a stand.  We (my bride) thought they did but on arrival - nothing.  So we improvised with some blocks of wood and some roushed linen.  We then placed the bridesmaids' bouquets around the base - in the end it looked OK but my recommendation would be to get it in writing if they are going to supply one - we didn't.

Kathy

Spireite Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 11:37am
post #19770 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel37 

Morning All!

Spireite, sorry if I missed you already saying, but is your sister getting married at a wedding venue eg hotel etc? If so they usually have stands as part of wedding packages so you can ask them? Alternatively you can hire stands as well, my local ********** shop does so again that might be worth looking into?

Right, off to make some buttercream!

Thanks Mel and Relznik,

So this is her wedding venue...I think it's quite a small independent place, so not sure what will be in their ceremony package. I can always ask. http://www.artiesmill.com/wedding.php

They are very into Rockabilly rock and roll and have 2 or 3 1950s cars at home they are restoring. and I think they do want informal...although I feel she is now beginning to get into planning mode :) My initial thought was a juke box design or topper...and that is what she emailed me a picture of this week...great minds thinking alike and all :) The date will be July 4th...so not sure if I can work that in as well :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%