A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:23am
post #1801 of 25877

Fruit cake tastes ghastly to me anyway so in my nonsensical thinking I'd imagine adding White choc ganache too it could only improve it lol

I'll give it a go with the picture one

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:47pm
post #1802 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

i ended up using those bubble straws, and it was mud choc cake with fondant, so quite heavy and the stacked cake survived a bus and tube journey this morning into work, thumbs up from me!!

the cake is done now, it's in my photos, do have a look! looking forward to seeing it cut to see how the filling turned out, i wanted to have a flash of pink between the layers to coordinate with the girl theme. i was so high on the rush of finishing the cake this morning, even though i'd only had 4.5 hrs sleep!

Thanks for letting me know how it worked out. Wow you're brave taking a 2 tier on the bus & especially the tube icon_lol.gif I've only ever taken a single tier on a bus & that was bad enough.

Your cake is gorgeous & sounds so yummy. How do you get a such a lovely depth? Is it several layers?

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:10pm
post #1803 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

the idea of fruit cake, and ganache together to me honestly sounds ghastly, i cant imagine how they would taste together. It is possible to create a sharp edge with just marzipan, i find if you cover in one sheet you got rounded corners, if you do the sides in a strip first, ( like the first link with just the pictures )
then attach a top piece the same size as your cake, you can get extreemly sharp corners icon_smile.gif

I used to marzipan all my cakes this way & you will get the sharp edges you want. Like bashini says it's the way to marzipan for a RI cake. Edgers also do a sharp edger to create the same effect http://www.edgers.co.uk/new_html/sharp_top_edger_new.html
It does work well with marzipan on fruit cakes & much less time consuming than the above method. However, I have never had much success using it with a sponge as it tends to squash my sponge down & make the sides of the sugarpaste bulge.

Can't say as I've ever been a fan of fruit cake either but I do quite like it now I make my own. Have you thought of doing a lighter fruit cake? I have a recipe for a really easy one & it tastes really nice & would probably go with ganache.

LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1804 of 25877

If you don't mind sharing the recipe Silly, it'd be great to have a fruit cake that might work with ganache.

It's about time I started trying more conventional recipes. I've never made carrot cake either lol

I prefer chocolate, white chocolate, vanilla and incorporating fruits lol especially exotic ones.... unfortunately most my "customers" aren't as adventurous lol

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1805 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

If you don't mind sharing the recipe Silly, it'd be great to have a fruit cake that might work with ganache.

It's about time I started trying more conventional recipes. I've never made carrot cake either lol

I prefer chocolate, white chocolate, vanilla and incorporating fruits lol especially exotic ones.... unfortunately most my "customers" aren't as adventurous lol

Sounds interesting. I can't believe you've never made carrot cake. I love my moms carrot cake *drool* Have you ever made beetroot cake? That's chocolate based & I usually cover it with white choc ganache.

What I like about this recipe is the apricots, they give it a nice sweetness. I don't like peel so I usually substitute that for a few more apricots & sultanas.

I discovered this when a client wanted a raisin & apricot cake for his wife (as it was her favourite flavour) for their anniversary. It marzipans as well as a rich fruit & would be good for a bottom tier too.

Light Fruit Cake

225g Butter or Marg
225g Caster Sugar
300g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
5 Eggs, beaten
2tsp Mixed Spice
175g Currants
175g Raisins
175g Sultanas
50g Dried Apricots cut into strips
115g Candied Peel
Rind of 1 Orange

1.) Double line a 7" or 8" round tin (depending on how deep you want it) & preheat oven to 180c/300F/gas 2.

2.)Cream butter & sugar.

3.)Beat in eggs, flour & mixed spice.

4.)Fold in mixed fruit, apricots & orange rind.

5.)Put in tin & make a slight dent in the centre.

6.)Bake for 2.5 to 3 hours, testing after 2.5 hours. Cover the top with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.

7.) Leave to cool completely in the tin. Paper can be left on for storage to help keep cake moist.

It can tend to form a slight crust so it's best to cook it low & slow depending on your oven.

Always happy to share icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1806 of 25877

I've never even tasted carrot cake, it freaked me out as a child. My parents tried to lie to me and tell me it didn't have actual carrot in it, but I sussed them out. Do you have a recipe for it I can give a go?

People at work are going to pile on the pounds with these testers lol. I don't know if I'll be able to try them :S

I've never made beetroot cake but I love eating beetroot so that could work lol

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1807 of 25877

LisaPep, try Mich Turners carrot cake recipe. Its lovely!! And I know lot of cake makers use Delia Smith's carrot cake recipe too! icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1808 of 25877

I have one of mich's books so I'll give it a whirl. I have next thurs-mon off so plenty of time to try. Thanks all.

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1809 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I've never even tasted carrot cake, it freaked me out as a child. My parents tried to lie to me and tell me it didn't have actual carrot in it, but I sussed them out. Do you have a recipe for it I can give a go?

People at work are going to pile on the pounds with these testers lol. I don't know if I'll be able to try them :S

I've never made beetroot cake but I love eating beetroot so that could work lol

I know that feeling. I used to hate carrots as a child & someone tried to force feed me some when I was at camp icon_cry.gif

You don't actually taste the beetroot, which is good as I can't stand it, but it makes the cake really moist.

I'll have to ask my mom for the carrot cake recipe, she makes it so well I don't even bother lol I know it's a simple one & I love it as it doesn't contain nuts. I'm not allergic I just don't like them.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:50pm
post #1810 of 25877

hi, I always marzipan my fruit cakes and get a really sharp edge. If doing square I often do the technique as for RI and place it on in pieces to get a really square edge too. I love working with fruit cake and marzipan as it's so solid and finishes so well. I second Mich Turner's carrot cake it is really good and so is her lemon with the lemon syrup.

Ok I have a little question ladies as I thought of pricing this cake (it was sent to me on a really tiny pic on my iphone) I've sinced opened it up and seen it has RI piping all over - how much would you ladies charge for a say 12" fruit base, 10" choc, 8" choc in exact same design pls?

http://mysugarcreations.blogspot.com/2010/10/gerbera-daisy-wedding-cake-yasmin.html

any pricing thoughts much appreciated icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:13am
post #1811 of 25877

Ok the sun is out and I really really HAVE to do 2 cakes today and finish some sugar shoes as lots of stuff on each and got be finished by tomorrow and I don't want to! someone give me some motivation please cos I want to be outside in the beautiful weather not making bc and trying to level a 12" cake icon_sad.gif How do you get yourself going on days like these with no one to motivate you but yourself??

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #1812 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

Your cake is gorgeous & sounds so yummy. How do you get a such a lovely depth? Is it several layers?

Aww thanks poohbear, i was really happy with it, and work were super impressed. a colleague now wants me to make her wedding cake icon_eek.gif yes it had three layers of cake, with filling between layers and iced in cream cheese, then fondant. i actually had made 4 layers of cake for each tier, but when i put them together it would have made for a very big cake so decided to leave one out!

allaboutcake ive tried cornelli piping on only small area but it seemed pretty easy, also as it's basically a squiggly line, you can't really mess up. so i would imagine doing cornelli all over the three tiers would not actually take as long as it would seem, although it does give an impressive finish - i would like to use it on a tiered cake if i get a chance as i quite like the look of it. try it it out on a square of baking paper and you'll see it won't take long to cover. sorry bout the sun and you being inside baking - that's something that worries me about doing cakes as a business, do you lose the passion when it becomes your "work"? i hope you got some sun time.

i'm with you lisa, i don't like fruit cake and have never made one myself, although i do love carrot cake. icon_smile.gif

xSam12x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xSam12x Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1813 of 25877

Hi everyone, i dont have a clue where i should be posting this but im wondering where everyone buys their cake supplies from in the UK? Ive been searching round for boxes, cupcake boxes and boards to bulk buy as i seem to get through so many of them! So far cake boxes direct seem to be the best ive come across.

sorry if this is in the wrong place
sam icon_smile.gif

5478holly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5478holly Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1814 of 25877

hi all
i am just new to cake decorating i am hoping to start my own buisness up soon any advice would be soo helpfull thanx

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 9:21pm
post #1815 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSam12x

Hi everyone, i dont have a clue where i should be posting this but im wondering where everyone buys their cake supplies from in the UK? Ive been searching round for boxes, cupcake boxes and boards to bulk buy as i seem to get through so many of them! So far cake boxes direct seem to be the best ive come across.

sam icon_smile.gif

I buy alot of stuff from sugarshack .co.uk if I know well in advance of the date I need the stuff for or I get from my local markets.

Im quite lucky cause by me there are two cake decorating supplies on the markets (cannock & rugeley).

Ive also been getting the thinner cake boards from asda as they are only about 64p each for a 10" round or square which come in handy for last minute small cakes

xSam12x Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1816 of 25877

Thanks Davwattie, I live in stafford so ill deff have a look at the markets. What days are they on? icon_smile.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1817 of 25877
Quote:

sam icon_smile.gif

Hi Sam you're not too far from me, I live just north of Walsall. I get my boards from a warehouse in Walsall called Greetings House. Unfortunately they don't sell the boxes. I usually use Ryepac or Design A Cake depending on what else I'm ordering.

I agree with Davwattie the stall in Cannock market is good & I find her quite cheap compared to most of the shops around here. Haven't been for a while but I think it's open Tuesday, Friday & Saturday.

Davwattie Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:14pm
post #1818 of 25877

Hi Sam you're not too far from me, I live just north of Walsall. I get my boards from a warehouse in Walsall called Greetings House. Unfortunately they don't sell the boxes. I usually use Ryepac or Design A Cake depending on what else I'm ordering.

I agree with Davwattie the stall in Cannock market is good & I find her quite cheap compared to most of the shops around here. Haven't been for a while but I think it's open Tuesday, Friday & Saturday.[/quote]

Your right about opening days of cannock market and Rugeley market is open Tues, Thurs, Fri & Sat, they seem to have more stuff their as well.

Davwattie Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:39pm
post #1819 of 25877
Quote:

Thanks Davwattie, I live in stafford so ill deff have a look at the markets. What days are they on? icon_smile.gif

Cannock is on Tues, Fri & Sat and Rugeley is on Tues, Thurs, Fri & Sat.

I tend to go to Rugeley market more because you can walk in and pick your own colour pastes, boards, fondants etc, you know have a nose without having to ask for everything like at cannock icon_lol.gif

Im only in Hednesford so not that far from either market which is handy thumbs_up.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:39pm
post #1820 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

I tend to go to Rugeley market more because you can walk in and pick your own colour pastes, boards, fondants etc, you know have a nose without having to ask for everything like at cannock icon_lol.gif

Im only in Hednesford so not that far from either market which is handy thumbs_up.gif

Yep that tends to bug me at Cannock, especially when she's got someone there who wants to have a chat & doesn't care about the queue building up behind them icon_mad.gif

I know this sounds dumb but is the market at Rugeley in the town centre? I think I've only ever been to Rugeley twice. It's one of those places I always seem to pass through.

I used to use DIY Icing in Bilston a lot but then someone else took it over & she upset me so I don't go there now. She is cheap on boards & boxes though & at one time if you had more than 15 you got 10% discount. Not sure if they still do that.

heaven_khan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heaven_khan Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:17pm
post #1821 of 25877

hi

a quick question, which butter do all of you use, either for baking and making frostings/fillings (I use flora unsalted mostly) and also which brand flour do you go for, I am using Bero.

and also the recipe on the bsg forum the HD sponge one, it calls for sponge flour from McDougalls but is it the self raising one or just plain

I have to make 100 cupcakes next week, different flavors, I have made lemon and chocolate before but if any of you has any other nice flavored ones please post your recipes, for example pineapple, or strawberry flavored, would be great. thumbs_up.gif

LisaPeps Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #1822 of 25877

I use the sticks of stork when I bake (75% ish fat I believe). I would like to use butter but it's double the price :S

For butter in my buttercream (IMBC) I use whichever one is on offer! I aim to pay £1 per 250g. I only ever use unsalted.

I've never seen a non self rising McDougalls sponge flour, is there such a thing?

I have tried a Strawberry cake recipe off here (Scratch strawberry cake or something like that) It was good, but next time I'd want to add a bit of strawberry flavouring too. I didn't have any at the time.

I never know how to get all the seeds out though? Thats the thing that bugs me about strawberry cakes... I tried a tea strainer and a brand new pair of tights, but neither worked.

xSam12x Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:16am
post #1823 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Yep that tends to bug me at Cannock, especially when she's got someone there who wants to have a chat & doesn't care about the queue building up behind them icon_mad.gif

I know this sounds dumb but is the market at Rugeley in the town centre? I think I've only ever been to Rugeley twice. It's one of those places I always seem to pass through.

I used to use DIY Icing in Bilston a lot but then someone else took it over & she upset me so I don't go there now. She is cheap on boards & boxes though & at one time if you had more than 15 you got 10% discount. Not sure if they still do that.

I'll deff give rugely a look then, ive never been to the market before. Ive used to small cake shop in walsall before which is quite good when i need something urgent and i work at hobbycraft so get the boards and boxes but its quite expensive lol icon_smile.gif

heaven_khan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heaven_khan Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 7:37am
post #1824 of 25877

icon_lol.gif I must've been half asleep cause I write flora instead of Lurpak, so here I'm up and awake again, and I use Lurpak (not flora....)

I've seen the packs of McDougalls without SR written on it so I assume that that's the plain one???

I know, the price of Lurpak has even gone up in Asda by 10p, so I am gonna try to find it cheaper elsewhere now. Butter is sooo expensive

What I am wondering now is... would it be possible to add any flavored jam into the batter and just bake it, might try that actually, or is it already tried....

Davwattie Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:37am
post #1825 of 25877

I used to use DIY Icing in Bilston a lot but then someone else took it over & she upset me so I don't go there now. She is cheap on boards & boxes though & at one time if you had more than 15 you got 10% discount. Not sure if they still do that.[/quote]

Yes it is in the town, you can park on Morrisons carpark (think its £1 for couple of hours) then walk up to the centre bit, past WHsmiths then the market is to the right. There's not many stalls in there so its not hard to find

FootprintsCakeArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FootprintsCakeArt Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:40am
post #1826 of 25877

Hi all,
just wondering if anyone knows if linda mcclure supplies the silhouette machine to the UK, really want one but worried about shipping it - or is similar available in uk...... looked at the cricut cake machine but it seems limited to the cartridges for design??
all help and advice appreciated TY icon_biggrin.gif

Davwattie Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:40am
post #1827 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_khan

icon_lol.gif I must've been half asleep cause I write flora instead of Lurpak, so here I'm up and awake again, and I use Lurpak (not flora....)

I've seen the packs of McDougalls without SR written on it so I assume that that's the plain one???

I know, the price of Lurpak has even gone up in Asda by 10p, so I am gonna try to find it cheaper elsewhere now. Butter is sooo expensive

What I am wondering now is... would it be possible to add any flavored jam into the batter and just bake it, might try that actually, or is it already tried....

I always buy my unsalted butter from Sainsburys because they do their own basic range and its only 98p a pack thumbs_up.gif

FootprintsCakeArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FootprintsCakeArt Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:43am
post #1828 of 25877

Hi Davwattie,
In abbey hulton - stoke on trent, staffordshire there is a great little shop called pinch of sugar - they also have a website, theyve helped me out loads for bits and pieces and the prices are good IMO - I live in stoke on trent so close to me - hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:55am
post #1829 of 25877
Quote:

hi

a quick question, which butter do all of you use, either for baking and making frostings/fillings (I use flora unsalted mostly) and also which brand flour do you go for, I am using Bero.

and also the recipe on the bsg forum the HD sponge one, it calls for sponge flour from McDougalls but is it the self raising one or just plain

I have to make 100 cupcakes next week, different flavors, I have made lemon and chocolate before but if any of you has any other nice flavored ones please post your recipes, for example pineapple, or strawberry flavored, would be great. thumbs_up.gif

Hi heaven, I use Lurpack and buy it from Costco as they are cheaper than supermarkets. I use the same for my bc too. The sponge flour is used for the HD recipe is a superfine flour and you can find it with other flours. Its a blue colour packet. icon_smile.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 9:06am
post #1830 of 25877
Quote:

hi

I use unsalted butter for bc & soft spread for baking. I use Sainsburys Basic flour as my baker tutor told me that it's the same as the expensive ones it's just not been sieved so much.

I saw an Eric Lanlard show on monday & he did lemon meringue cupcakes. He put a layer of cake batter, then lemon curd, then finished put more batter on top. Perhaps you could try something like that. You can find this & others he did here http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-chefs/eric-lanlard-recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%