A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 8:30pm
post #15691 of 25877

Nanny, the things we do to look good, eh? Hahah! It's going to be absolutely mental here. I anticipate about 10 hours sleep all week! :lol:

If I was doing the roses that way Nic, I would put a little brush of edible glue as you over-lapped the circles and a light line of it all the way down the middle to make sure they stuck. Maybe try it next time? Or I will if I'm making them. I may make them in red for some of the minnie cookies so I will let you know how that goes!

Mel that cake is stunning, adore the colour scheme, very vintage, similar colours to nannys birdcage which I loved!

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 8:37pm
post #15692 of 25877

AThanks Kuuushi, she loves vintage so that's what I was going for! The bottom tier was meant to have pinstripes, but with the blow out it had, I used cake lace to cover it up!

Good luck with all your cakes by the way, that Minnie Mouse cake looks adorable!

Question for you guys, I've had an enquiry for a wedding cake with a cascade of fresh flowers. I've done fresh flower cakes before, but just with toppers or poly seperators, which I've sat on acetate sheets so nothing's touching actual cake, but I couldn't do that with a cascade? Anyone had more experience with fresh flowers at all?

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 8:48pm
post #15693 of 25877

AMel, thats such s pretty cake!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 10:15pm
post #15694 of 25877

AEvening all Can't go all the way back to catch up so I'll do my best

Suzanne, sorry your show broke but you did your best to fix the situation and that's all any of us can do.

Marvel great tat. I hate mine so I get very jealous when I see amazing ones

Tiddy lovely pillow cakes, which says a lot as I'm not so keen on them myself lol

Mel love that cake, the colours are so vibrant.

Nanny hope you are ok, probably gonna be sore tomorrow so take it easy.

I was at a hen do all day yesterday so was out and about.

I have this weeks cake planned out now which is great as it's taken me ages to settle on a design. Trouble when it's your cake so you have free reign to do what you like is there's soo many ideas it's had to pick one.

Hoping I pull it off as it should be lovely.

Right off to sleep. Night anyone who's left hiding in the tumbleweed. :)

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 10:56pm
post #15695 of 25877

That's a really pretty cake, Mel.  I bet she loved it.

Update on yesterday's cake/customer.

I popped out this morning and when I got home there was a message on my answer phone from yesterday's customer. "Hi Suzanne - I just wanted to thank you for the cake. I know you were upset about the shoe but honestly, it didn't detract from the cake at all. It looked and tasted amazing. Thank you again - we will recommend you to everyone".

I almost wept with relief!!!!!

AND.... I now realise that she didn't receive the email I sent  yesterday - it bounced back to me this afternoon because I left the 'c' off of  .co.uk on the email address.  Hubby thinks I should leave it but I think I should give her a buzz tomorrow....

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 11:49pm
post #15696 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Relznik

AND.... I now realise that she didn't receive the email I sent  yesterday - it bounced back to me this afternoon because I left the 'c' off of  .co.uk on the email address.  Hubby thinks I should leave it but I think I should give her a buzz tomorrow....

I'm with your husband. She's happy, she'll be back and she'll recommend you. I wouldn't stir up the pot any further.

Plus, we don't want the general public catching on to the secret this thread helps us to hide so well now, do we? That we're all secretly neurotic perfectionists that can't find a single good thing to say about our own creations... ;) xx

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 11:54pm
post #15697 of 25877

A

I love this! So simple, yet so very elegant. I need to start using cake lace. I shall make it my next mission...

...well, when I have this weeks FOUR cakes out of the way. o_O Most I have ever done in a week? Two. And best bit? All for delivery Saturday... *gulp*

Poor nanny. You have been in the wars. I prescribe rest, a good book and some naughty treats... ;)

I have been absent today as I had to deliver the twin cake during an ex-hurricane, then I spent some time with my nephew, drive my sister from Southampton to Basingstoke (she's back from a holiday) and then had a very lovely lazy evening in bed with a book. The downside, I am not tired at all now... Oops!

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 6:39am
post #15698 of 25877

A

Original message sent by m4rvelgeek

I need to start using cake lace. I shall make it my next mission...

...well, when I have this weeks FOUR cakes out of the way. o_O Most I have ever done in a week? Two. And best bit? All for delivery Saturday... *gulp*

Me too! I bought the Claire Bowman set from create and craft and still haven't used it because of being so busy! I need to get on it too! Do you have any yet?

I'm also in the same boat as you with cakes. Got two that have to be delivered Friday and then I'm off to visit family for my nieces 1st birthday in London. A two tier Minnie Mouse cake, 37 cupcakes and 18 cookies.

Taking these with me on the 4 hour trip... *gulp*

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 7:14am
post #15699 of 25877

AMorning everyone. Back online after power cut since 1.15 yesterday until 6 this morning. BBQ Meal by candlelight! Suzanne, sorry to hear about your shoe but glad it worked out ok. I have to say the cake looked fabulous even without the shoe. I :(made a shoe once (or rather three) as they kept breaking across the instep.:(

Mel love the cake for MIL. The cake lace is gorgeous. I have a 90th birthday cake in two weeks and have decided to use the Tiffany mat on that after playing with marvellous moulds and onlays yesterday. Cake Lace is much easier.

Beautiful pillows Tiddy. I'm constantly amazed at what you turn out given your condition.

Hope you aren't too sore today Barbara. That's one downside to becoming "sylph-like". You don't bounce!

Hope everyone else is ok.

Xx

Relznik Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 7:21am
post #15700 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

I need to start using cake lace. I shall make it my next mission...

Oh you must!   It's wonderful.  And it really IS easy to use.  I love it!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 7:55am
post #15701 of 25877

ACouldn't sleep last night and was searching on cake stuff under their 35th birthday celebrations and ended up buying 4 impression matts and a set of bold letter tappits in upper and lower, ended up only being £16 with postage (using discount) but still shouldn't be spending lol

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 10:02am
post #15702 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

I'm with your husband. She's happy, she'll be back and she'll recommend you. I wouldn't stir up the pot any further.

Plus, we don't want the general public catching on to the secret this thread helps us to hide so well now, do we? That we're all secretly neurotic perfectionists that can't find a single good thing to say about our own creations... icon_wink.gif xx

What, us lot? Nooooo, surely not :D

Nanny, I hope you're feeling a bit less battered today! I'm having a pants day already, won't bore you with details, but I wish I smoked. People always seem to have a fag when they feel fed up. I just have to eat huge amounts of crap all day. Strawberry laces, here I come!

That's such a lovely cake Mel, really really pretty. You can't see that you had any issues with it either.

Here's mine from the weekend. I've not finished photoshopping (ahem, getting hubby to photoshop) them, so the backgrounds are a bit screwy on a couple. I'm sorting out new backgrounds so we don't have to bother with material, I'm fed up with having to set it up and then iron out (electronically, I don't actually bother myself with ironing :)) creases!

nannycook Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 10:48am
post #15703 of 25877

AAw lizzy, they are absolutely amazing, dont know how you do it!

So clever you are.

Um, not cant say I'm ok, my knee is swollen bruised and hot, John thinKS I've fractured it as came down twice on it, ouch, got a bruise the size of Wales on my ass, got work tomorrow, up and down stairs all day, hey ho!!

I haven't made any cakes for 2 weeks, just made brownies as having withdrawal effects, not eating any though.

Relznik Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 11:16am
post #15704 of 25877

Fab, fab, fab cakes, Lizzy!!!! 

Sorry to hear about your knee, nanny...  I wish you a speedy recovery!

I've checked my file.  No orders this weekend.  I've checked the two order forms I've recently sent out...  they're not for this weekend.  So why do I feel so uneasy?  HAVE I missed an order for this coming weekend?  I don't think so, but.....

Suzanne x

catsmum Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 11:21am
post #15705 of 25877

Great cakes Lizzy.

Just spotted Clare Bowman now has an emerald green and a purple pre-mix Cake Lace. Has anyone used it?

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 11:37am
post #15706 of 25877

AOMG - a Batcave!! Wonderful cakes Lizzy.

Suzanne - I think your husband is right....leave it there. If she repeats orders from you (that's not English, is it?) then you could say about a small discount.

Barbara - I hope you are OK? No more exercising until you come back from holiday!!!

Lynne - have you used any of the CB colours? I only have white - was wondering if you could tint it.......

Kathy

nannycook Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 11:51am
post #15707 of 25877

AKathy I dusted my cake lace with the gold dust, really pleased how it turned out.

OK Kathy, I'm dangerous I shouldn't be allowed out.

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 11:59am
post #15708 of 25877

afternoon all :) Fab cakes Lizzy! Ive a carved spidey cake soon :smile:

Good luck with all your cakes kuuushi, cant wait to see minnie!

Had another bad night last night so am going at a snails ninja pace today :( I have covered another tier for the moroccan cake but what a pita the tall tiers are! Grrr!

Had my first play with an onlay mat......they are not as easy as they look either! Still its all slowly coming together finally. 

Got lots of deliveries today and cant even remember what they are ive ordered so much lately :lol: 

I was trying to stick to vintage/traditional for the fayre rather than wacky but now thinking i should maybe have one :???:...mmm will have a think about that.

catsmum Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:12pm
post #15709 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Lynne - have you used any of the CB colours? I only have white - was wondering if you could tint it.......

Kathy

Not yet Cathy but I am using the Soft Gold on my wedding cake in December.  This is from the Q&A on the Cake Lace website:

Q: When colouring the Cake Lace, do I need to do anything special?

A: We advise dropping the baking temperature by 5-10 degrees and put the Cake Lace in for a total of 20-25 minutes. Please be aware that all ovens are different, so timings and temperatures are estimated.

Q: What type of colouring can I use with Cake Lace?

A: We would advise any gel based food colourings, but for superior results, try out Claire's range of lustre dusts!

There was a great picture in the Cake Craft and Decoration magazine some months ago of a laced corset cake design. I called the Cake Decorating Company and they said it had been airbrushed.

catsmum Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:17pm
post #15710 of 25877

I was wondering if you were going to use the Moroccan onlay mat Tiddy. I have it but haven't used it yet. I was playing with the Damask onlay mat yesterday and you are right - not as easy as they look. I found pure gumpaste too stiff for the silicone blades to cut through. I spoke to Dominic at CI last year and he suggested rolling thinner which I did yesterday but still struggled. Did you use just sugarpaste or a mix of SP/GP?

DaysCakes Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:20pm
post #15711 of 25877

AI thought I read somewhere that if you airbrush cake lace the colour smudges - I was going to try black on pink for my sister - she's off to Paris and I thought it would be quite a good colour combo. However, I don't fancy buying a pot of CB coloured mix just for an 8 inch round! Yes - I'm a bit tight at the moment as I have just had to book my car in for a service.......:(

Kathy

catsmum Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:25pm
post #15712 of 25877

Kathy why don't you post a question about airbrushing on the Cake Lace website, I am sure they will help you? I think what you were referring to was Clare saying to be careful not to use too much water to stick the lace to the cake if you have airbrushed the lace in case it smudges.

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:49pm
post #15713 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmum 

I was wondering if you were going to use the Moroccan onlay mat Tiddy. I have it but haven't used it yet. I was playing with the Damask onlay mat yesterday and you are right - not as easy as they look. I found pure gumpaste too stiff for the silicone blades to cut through. I spoke to Dominic at CI last year and he suggested rolling thinner which I did yesterday but still struggled. Did you use just sugarpaste or a mix of SP/GP?

I added a wee bit of gum trag and put it through the pasta machine in the end. Got the hang of it now i think :D

catsmum Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:51pm
post #15714 of 25877

I think I took it to setting 3 on the KA pasta machine.  What did you use to stick it to the cake?

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:52pm
post #15715 of 25877

well i tried water but that was not sticky enough so then brushed a tiny amount of glue over the water :) did the trick!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 1:23pm
post #15716 of 25877

Golly, I've just missed dozens of pages of this thread...will have to catch up over time!  It looks like there have been some beautiful cakes!

On another note, is it just me but do we get majorly ripped off here in the UK for cake products?  I'm trying to track down some Choco-Pan Gumpaste and I paid about £14 for a tub a couple of years ago...the Chocopan website sell it for $10!!!!  And I priced up the UK-equivalent of the SPS system for a 4-tiered cake the other day and it was knocking on £60!  Cutters, rolling pins, everything seems to be twice the price here....am I missing something??  Maybe I need to go to the US and do a shopping spree :-D

Ok, rant over.  Now to continue my search for my favorite gumpaste ever...

DaysCakes Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 1:48pm
post #15717 of 25877

AGo to the States! Any excuse for me.......:grin: Never heard of the stuff you are talking about Snowflakebunny but am going to Google them now! Kathy

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 1:49pm
post #15718 of 25877

Hi All

Kathy I have the white cake lace and have used gel colours to colour some pink, I tried to colour some black but it was wouldn't work just stayed grey. I have also airbrushed the cake lace in various colours. I used the black airbrushed one on my poppy cake and it does smudge on to the cake and spoil the look. I was going to try black powder colouring to colour some as Gray suggested but haven't had a chance yet.

Mel beautiful cake really lovely.

Lizzy cute elephant and love the bat mobile, fab cake.

Nanny hope your knee is ok, are you going to get it checked over?

DaysCakes Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 2:04pm
post #15719 of 25877

AOh thanks Roxy - good to know. It's just that I have spent so much lately that I really don't think I can fork out anything until after my week in Cornwall.

Snowflakebunny - The Cake Decorating Company have Chocopan on sale for £7.99 for 907g. Free shipping if you spend £25. I have used them loads of times and very happy with their service. (Now I [I]need [/I]Chocopan......!!)

Kathy

nannycook Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 2:08pm
post #15720 of 25877

ANah Roxy, the thought of waiting in A&E for 10 hrs doesn't do much for me, and if I have fractured it, there nowt can be done. I'll live no doubt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%