A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 4:52pm
post #14191 of 25877

AGuys going to shower and put some food on, this weather is killing me. I'm dreading the hair dryer on my 3ft mane, I think I may let it air dry, not like I'm gonna catch a cold in this weather :lol:

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 4:56pm
post #14192 of 25877

AOops sorry Kuuushi, I'll just quickly reply and shut up then. I do dip my toast in my tea Siany, only white tho, never brown it's just not the same. Nanny most people think I'm gross for doing it too, I'm surprised CC didn't crash with everyone telling me how disgusting it is! Never heard of dipping toast in coffee tho Jean, I love coffe too, maybe I should try it.

Meant to say Kuuushi if she does complain, tell her to keep the cake there, not to throw it away and get it as soon as you can.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:03pm
post #14193 of 25877

A

Original message sent by m4rvelgeek

Ladies (and Mr Gray), a question: I have a football cake to do next month and the pentagon/hexagon cutters on Amazon are for a 6" sphere. I wanted to do an 8" sphere. Would they work or can someone recommend some others? I do have the 6" hemisphere pan too, but the base tier will be a 12" and think a 6" sphere will look too small on top...

OK, only half way through catching up, but if you Google football cakes M4rvel, there's a calculation you can use which gives you the perfect sizes for your pentagons and hexagons. You do have to make a template and cut them that way, but it works every time for any size. I can't remember the page now but if you Google I'm sure it'll pop up.

maisie73 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:13pm
post #14194 of 25877

AKathy I haven't forgotten about the letter cutters, I can't get on eBay via Safari and can't add a link from the app. They're called FMM script tappits. I've got the upper case, they're a fiver on amazon and eBay. You can get the upper and lower case for a tenner on eBay. I will warn you before you buy them, I don't like them much. They don't seem to be the same size to me. The T's for example are very wide, makes the words look funny. It doesn't help that I can't line them up properly so they end up all over the place but I do think that however precise I was it wouldn't make any difference, I think it is the cutters.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:20pm
post #14195 of 25877

AI'll jump in on the toast in tea for you maisie - ewww :-D

As always lovely cakes. The dog cake was really sweet, loved the little owl, and beautiful again nanny!

Is progel stronger than sugarflair do you think, anyone who uses both? I'm always on the lookout for new ones.

Your voucher is a very cool idea M4rvel, was the lady pleased with it?

Well I did my cakes for the lovely office at my son's school, and his teacher. I did a square cake for the office with some edible images on it - the one on top was a letter from the school to us with a list of things my son forgets done as tick boxes with everything ticked (I'm always dropping off forms /lunch /people kit etc). On the sides were a letter from my son to the office which he wrote, really sweet, and 3 different photos of him in dresses at various times. Don't ask. Didn't take a photo as had to fridge it and ended up with a shocking finish. It had to do though as I couldn't do another, and they are over the moon so no worries.

The book cake came out really well I think. Miss B, the teacher, is extremely loud, chatty, bubbly and never short of a word.

Hubby and I took the cake in (he carried as it weighed a ton, and the moment she saw it she burst into tears and didn't speak for a good couple of minutes. I'm taking that as a good thing!

I'll post up photos later as I'm off for the evening now :-)

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:32pm
post #14196 of 25877

AI use sugarflair, so would be interested to find out if pro gels are stronger :)

Lizzy, did you leave a business card with your cake? Wasn't sure whether I should, and in the end I forgot anyway!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:41pm
post #14197 of 25877

I used to get the same thing Maisie, every said I was disgusting for dunking my toast in my tea so I did it in secret.  Its lovely.  Haven't done it in years though. 

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:56pm
post #14198 of 25877

A

Original message sent by roxylee123

Marvel I haven't done a football cake but I saw a set of hexagon cutter in Dunelm the other day if you could get a pentagon set you could use them both together for any size football you make. [URL=http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/set-of-5-hexagon-cookie-cutters-392809?query=hexagon+cutters&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT&ddkey=http:Search]http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/set-of-5-hexagon-cookie-cutters-392809?query=hexagon+cutters&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT&ddkey=http:Search[/URL]

Thanks ladies. Will check then out... =)

Original message sent by Siany01

Im not Kathy and I think that's the issue, they are just too heavy. I'm going to try and find some water balloons as i think they would be better.

I need to put some more coats on these ones and see how they go. They are just a practice go to see how they work . Learnt lots from it so was worth while.

The mess is easy to clean as it sets like jelly and you can just pick it up :)

Bashini, crystal flowers are next on my list but I need some cutters first :)

There was a very detailed tutorial on these in the latest issue of BSG Magazine. Did you see it?

m4rvelgeek Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:04pm
post #14199 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

OK, only half way through catching up, but if you Google football cakes M4rvel, there's a calculation you can use which gives you the perfect sizes for your pentagons and hexagons. You do have to make a template and cut them that way, but it works every time for any size. I can't remember the page now but if you Google I'm sure it'll pop up.

Will have a looksee, thanks... =)

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

Your voucher is a very cool idea M4rvel, was the lady pleased with it?

Yeah, she was really touched. She's an avid follower of my cake work as well as being a fantastic help in school. Have told her she can order one of my mega chocolate cakes or save it for one of the kids' birthdays... :)

Siany01 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:19pm
post #14200 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

Thanks ladies. Will check then out... =)
There was a very detailed tutorial on these in the latest issue of BSG Magazine. Did you see it?

No, I don't get BSG magazine.  Not joined up yet.  I have a youtube video.  I have ordered some water balloons so think that will solve the issue I was having.

m4rvelgeek Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:23pm
post #14201 of 25877

A

No, I don't get BSG magazine.  Not joined up yet.  I have a youtube video.  I have ordered some water balloons so think that will solve the issue I was having.

That's what they used in the tutorial. I can scan it and send it to you if you want?

Siany01 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:27pm
post #14202 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

That's what they used in the tutorial. I can scan it and send it to you if you want?

That would be brilliant, thank you.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:33pm
post #14203 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Thin this is a better pic.

nannycook: this is absolutely stunning!  and why I keep peeking in at your UK thread.  Understated and elegant to the MAX!!!

MBalaska Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:38pm
post #14204 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

maisie73: this is so sweet and adorable, your "spontaneous cake" means you really have some great artistic talents.

kuuushi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:42pm
post #14205 of 25877

ABSG magazine?

MBalaska Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:45pm
post #14206 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 
It's finished. Just boxes it up so I can shove it down her throat tomorrow! icon_biggrin.gif

kuuuski:  You can send it to me.  Good Job on smoothing your fondant.

kuuushi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:48pm
post #14207 of 25877

AThanks MBalaska :)

Surprised it went so well in the 31 degree heat last evening!

Siany01 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:49pm
post #14208 of 25877

@kuuushi have you heard from fishy cake lady?

kuuushi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:52pm
post #14209 of 25877

ANothing yet Siany. Let's hope she's choking on it.. LOL only joking!!!!

I really hope she's enjoying it actually. Could do with some good news!

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 7:33pm
post #14210 of 25877

AAck I'm soo going to go cross eyed this week! Spent the day making a zillion calla lily centres, and Vanda orchid middles - soo tiny and fiddly LOL! This bit is so dull, but can't wait to get going on the petals! Also made the bride and grooms 'legs' and the little ginger cat for the 'not a topper' topper, so on track for now!

Loooove the brush embroidery cake Nanny, can't see a thing wrong at all it's really pretty! I'll use that technique any chance I can get :).

Maisie the puppy cake looks lovely, so glad your Mum loved it :)

Dipping toast in tea?!! Is that really a thing?

Marvel good luck with the football cake, I've never done one but I know the maths involved in that would do my head in lol!

I hope strange cake lady comes back to you and says how amazing the cake was this time Kuuushi! That all sounded very odd to me!

m4rvelgeek Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 7:38pm
post #14211 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

BSG magazine?

British Sugar craft Guild.

kuuushi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 8:23pm
post #14212 of 25877

ACake lady update!

She said it was "AMAZING, absolutely beautiful taste"

Guess she didn't choke on it then :lol:

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 8:31pm
post #14213 of 25877

Glad she liked it Kuuushi that must be a weight of your mind.

Maisie What a lovely reaction from your mum, I bet she was chuffed you'd thought to do something so sweet for her. I bet the dog was chuffed to when he was demolishing his piece. my dog Sasha loves cake.

Nanny your cake is gorgeous I can't believe that is your first time doing brush embroidery it looks really really lovely so stop trying to find flaws with the cake its perfect as always.

For those who are asking about progels I have used a few different brands of colours and since getting the progels I will only but them now, the colours are strong and they have some lovely colours on the range. I strugled getting brown and purple with others but not with the progels.

Sorry if I have missed anyone.

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:08pm
post #14214 of 25877

AYay Kuuushi! So glad it turned out well, goodness only knows what was going on with what she thought about that other one! I think she was after freebie cakes!

I've just bought a couple of progels to try them out, previously used Sugarflair and Wilton so will let you know how I get on. Interesting re Squires SP Bashini, I might have to try it out, they do some nice coloured ones I think don't they? I really want to visit the shop one day. Hmm my delivery next week is just outside Reading...maybe I could go a little further out, just to see....... :-D

m4rvelgeek Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:15pm
post #14215 of 25877

A

That would be brilliant, thank you.

Just found the magazine, so will do it now. Can you PM me an email address please?

maisie73 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:19pm
post #14216 of 25877

AYes Lizzy, someone bursting into tears when you present them with a cake is a good thing. :-)

Glad your parent liked her gift M4rvel, I'd be delighted with that, who wouldn't? Who doesn't love free cake?

I don't know about artistic talent MB but thankyou anyway.

Thanks Mel. Yep, toast dunked on your tea is a thing. If you like toast and you like tea, you Gota try it! There's not a slice of white bread in this house today, I'm buying a loaf tomorrow, extra thick toastie sliced, I'm having toast and tea for tea tomorrow. :-D

Aw Kuuushi I bet you're chuffed aren't you? I'm so pleased she liked it.

I know roxy, I was crying with her! Shadow loves sponge cake. He never takes food off a table, work top, plate etc, he's really good, she can leave anything and he won't touch it unless it's been dropped on the floor or in his dish. But in January my mams birthday cake was on the side and he took a chunk out of it. She couldn't believe it, he's never done that before!

I'm off to fill a Victoria sponge for my grandad and auntie and iron their washing. Ironing in this weather should be against the law!

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:20pm
post #14217 of 25877

ALike I said i use the progels all the time

Wow ladies, what amazing comments from you all.

Kuuushi, so glad she liked it, didn't really want to send the heavies around, not a pretty sight!

Yep Roxy, apart fromt little go a few yrs ago on a cake board, its my first time straight on a cake, its so easy to do, and now is

on my best thing to do list.

kuuushi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:51pm
post #14218 of 25877

AThanks guys I'm really really happy that it turned out well. At least I can sleep well tonight!

Speaking of sleeping well, night all! :princess:

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:58pm
post #14219 of 25877

ANight night, sleep well little princess.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 10:22pm
post #14220 of 25877

AYippee!!! I am sooo glad to hear that. Well done Kuuushi!!!! :grin:

Mel, yes, squires is quite nice and they have gorgeous colours. The one I bought is a very pale yellow. Will post the pictures tomorrow!:-)

Finished two cakes for tomorrow, the top tier of the wedding cake... Done and the other two tiers filled and left to rest. I am a bit nervous about this wedding cake as the ganache is not firming up. And the top tier is a fruit cake....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%